ASUS RT-AC68U C1 Dual WAN

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
dayzed007
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 23:51    Post subject: ASUS RT-AC68U C1 Dual WAN Reply with quote
So I have the above mentioned router running Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r31571 std (03/04/17)

My primary WAN source has been iPhone tether, which has worked great. But I’ve been having little luck setting up a backup (I was trying to hotswap other devices & asking questions in other threads)

This week it dawned on my that the router support DUAL WAN, and I could create a fallover. Quick search verified that DD-WRT also supported dual wan so I was feeling good.

However today when I checked The DD-WRT setting on my router I couldn’t find any section to enable & set up the Dual WAN feature

Could someone point me in the correct direction?
Sponsor
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Category:Dual_WAN
dayzed007
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Per Yngve Berg wrote:
https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Category:Dual_WAN

Thanks Per Yngve Berg,

I’ve seen this but wasn’t sure how to work with it. As mentioned in my origional post I’m using iPhone tether as my primary (USB), hence my secondary could go into the WAN port. These instruction mainly talk about converting a LAN port for the secondary, which I don’t believe is my goal. Not to menion I use my LAN ports.

Additionally, and I’m alittle embarrased to say, but I’m not overly technical, so I’m not totally sure what to do with all the scripts mentioned in the instructions. I was hoping to find the controls I needed in the UI (otherwise I’ll need to hire one of you to preconfig it for me Smile

Thoughts?
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Drop the setting up a second VLAN part and replace to the interface name used by the USB device in the scripts.
dayzed007
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 17:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Per Yngve Berg wrote:
Drop the setting up a second VLAN part and replace to the interface name used by the USB device in the scripts.

Thanks again.

So at the risk of sounding really dumb (I mentioned about I'm not very technical), where do I perform the various scripting tasks?
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 19:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Connect a USB Memory Stick t the router and make a jffs volume to store the script files in.
dayzed007
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 14:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks again for the tips previously given. As mentioned I'm not overly technical, so it all kind of when over my head. Fortunately I recruited someone with the know how to do this, and he helped me SSH into the router, create, configure and install the scripts. Yet even he reported there was alot of guesswork involved as this is all very unknown subject matter to the average (technical) person.

In the end we ran into a pile of problems. But first let me mention the devices I was working with;
1) ASUS RT-AC68U C1 - Main Router
2) iPhone 7+ - Used as primary internet source via USB (unlimited data)
3) Netgear LB2120 - Used as secondary internet source via WAN port (configured as bridge) (limited data)

Here are some of the problems we encountered before abandoning this approach.
•on reboot, the netgear prevented the WIFI on the asus from starting up. Turning off netgear allowed the regular boot process to continue
•all computers on the network automatically passed through to the netgear and couldn't even see the ASUS
•all mobile devices automatically connected to the iPhone, as expected, however when failover was tested they did not connect to netgear (even when the computers were actively using it)

I think we've reached the limits of what we can do, and as such would like to make a plea to any of the WRT-DD developer gods who maybe listing. Can this process be baked into the interface for people like me? I see this is easy on the native ASUS interface, only it lack the iphone tethering part that attracted me to WRT-DD in the first place.

1) allow selection of dual Wan
2) allow selection of which Wan source comes from which port (usb, wan, lan1, lan2 etc)
3) configure each type of Wan source (ie iphone tether, ethernet, mobile tether etc etc)
4) Allow selection of dual wan actions (failover, parallel etc)

Thanks in advance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: