No Control Panel on Linksys 1900ac v2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
vadersapp
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 20:42    Post subject: No Control Panel on Linksys 1900ac v2 Reply with quote
I'm not getting the DD-WRT control panel on my router, Linksys 1900AC v2. So I have installed the DD-WRT firmware twice now (factory-to-ddwrt.bin, from the correct model on the router database), once over my wireless network an then on a hardwired connection when I failed to get the control panel the first time. Still nothing. When I go to 192.168.1.1, I get my default linksys sign-in screen.

I'm trying to set up my router with my AirVPN account, following every set of steps from the instruction and video tutorials and I'm just not getting the results I'm being told I should expect. I'm now stuck, can't go forward without the control panel and it's really frustrating. Any idea why I'm not seeing the control panel and how to fix this? Thanks in advance!
Sponsor
u251
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think I can help if you haven't found a way as of yet.
I just went thru the exact same thing with my WRT1900acv2.
My motivation was the same. I wanted to be able to PPTP.

After 8 hrs of researching spuriousoffspring shined a
light on the right path for me.

The newer builds have been failing the install on some
of WRT1900acV2. Not sure why. Curious, did you install
that last Linksys update that fixed a serious hardware
flaw in alot of routers?

Anyway, you can try what fixed mine.

Solution:
You need to download an older version of "factory-to-ddwrt.bin" for the initial install. I used the one dated
12 29 2017.

Know where to get it? ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/

That will install like you think it should. By the way
never do this stuff over WiFi. Only from a hard wired
computer. Pay attention to all the stuff you have already
read. Clearing cache, different browsers etc.

Now you should have an older version successfully installed on partition 2. Linksys WiFi software will reside on Partition 1.

Do you know about Telnet? Telnet is a windows feature
that you enable thru windows apps control panel.
Run from a "cmd" command prompt after enabled..

It can tell which partition is your boot partition.
(boot_part)

You can also change boot partitions with it.

Telnet only works when DD-wrt is active router OS. So
only use after DD-wrt installed.

Now to update to a current version:
Trick to Upgrade DD-WRT Firmware without losing current configuration or the need to return to Stock Firmware:

Using Telnet/SSH and the ubootenv set boot_part command (described below) it is possible to upgrade to a newer version of DD-WRT without the need to manually switch back to Stock Firmware Partition. All previously configured settings will remain intact.

1. Use the ubootenv get boot_part command to learn the current Partition in use.
2. Use the ubootenv set boot_part (1 or 2 – the opposite number returned in Step 1) command.
3. DO NOT REBOOT
4. In DD-WRT GUI – Administration Tab – Firmware Upgrade Sub Tab: Upload the new ’dd-wrt webflash.bin’ file for your Router & Hardware Version. MAKE SURE THAT NO RESET IS SELECTED.
5. After Firmware Upgrade is finished the Router will automatically reboot.

*You should now have the new DD-WRT upgrade on the current Partition and OEM Firmware will still be intact on opposite partition.

The preceding was provided by an unknown author on this Forum. Whomever you are, thank you! Also, thank you to @myersw for saving & providing a copy and to @gainestr for testing.
vadersapp
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
I feel like an idiot. I'm clearly doing something wrong.

I tried taking your advice, downloaded the same bin file you suggested from 12-29-2017 and installed it. But it never finished the install. Where every other attempt with other versions had finished in a minute or two, during which the router reset a few times, this time the router just stopped broadcasting wifi, lost internet for a few minute (it did end up coming back after 3 or 4 minutes) and then did nothing at all for another 20.

During that time, I did try to go to 192.168.1.1 and I was presented with the DD-WRT control panel.... Kind of. It didn't load properly. It's a white page, text, and few text fields and a button. It says DD-WRT Control Panel, has 8 bullet points underneath, then 3 text fields underneath that (presumable to set username, password and confirm password), followed by a "Change Password" button. Filling in the info and clicking the button changes the button to say "Changing password", but doesn't ever submit anything and reloading the page or opening another tab with the address just brings you to the same change password page that doesn't load properly and won't submit the change.

I finally decided it was safe to assume the install was NOT going to finish after about a half hour of nothing. I rebooted the router... Still no wifi signal... Same results on 192.168.1.1 too. I do a hard reset and then a 30-30-30 reset. Still the same problems.

So my new list of problems:
I've lost access to the default Linksys router settings
My router wont broadcasting wifi
The control panel I CAN see does nothing.
I can't get it to return to default even when hard rebooting.

If you could help me successfully get DD-WRT working, that'd be great, but at this point, if you could just get me back to a normally functioning router, I'd be sooo happy. I'm about ready to abandon this whole endeavor.
u251
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 20:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Words of Wisdom from

spuriousoffspring
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:41 Post subject: DD-WRT Installation, Upgrade & Basic Setup–Cliff Notes Reply with quote
First and most important: never do a ‘Hard Reset’ aka 30/30/30!. It's unnecessary and you can harm your router.

*The ‘Hard Reset’ applies only to much older routers. If the router you are installing or upgrading DD-WRT on is a WRT1200, WRT1900, WRT3200 or a WRT32X a simple hold of the reset button (located on the back of the router) for 20 seconds while router is powered ON will clear NVRAM and restore router to defaults.

OK...Lets move on..

Can you Telnet into router?
From a command Prompt "Telnet 192.168.1.1"

If not, from a browser does "http://192.168.1.1/sysinfo.cgi" return a data list or just a "404 Not Found"

"Always from a network cabled computer and never from a wireless WiFi connection"
Monza
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 21:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
vadersapp wrote:
During that time, I did try to go to 192.168.1.1 and I was presented with the DD-WRT control panel.... Kind of. It didn't load properly. It's a white page, text, and few text fields and a button. It says DD-WRT Control Panel, has 8 bullet points underneath, then 3 text fields underneath that (presumable to set username, password and confirm password), followed by a "Change Password" button. Filling in the info and clicking the button changes the button to say "Changing password", but doesn't ever submit anything and reloading the page or opening another tab with the address just brings you to the same change password page that doesn't load properly and won't submit the change.

This probably has nothing to do with your problem but . . I had a similar situation on a dd-wrt firmware install and the problem was that I had an add-on in Firefox called NoScript. I had not "trusted" the 192.168.1.1 address in NoScript so I got much the same as you describe above. Once I trusted the address in NoScript the full dd-wrt control panel appeared. I had the exact same experience when I changed the router's Local IP Address and forgot to click "trusted" in NoScript for the new IP Address. Once "trusted" the full interface appeared for the new Local address and worked as expected.

It could also be a firewall or another security add-on. I'd rather mention it as to not.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: