Restore of settings over HTTPS seems to corrupt nvram

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:26    Post subject: Re: restore BIN file settings on fail over HTTPS Reply with quote
Mihai_3 wrote:
yes, restoring my backup (.BIN) over HTTPS from LAN failed to me also when I try it.

I consider this a bug, Shocked since there is no warning of anything to let the user know that restoring over HTTPS it will not work.
Now, reading this thread I discover that it's already known.

I have: DD-WRT v3.0-r44715 std (11/03/20)
inside of: TP-Link WR1043ND V2. Rolling Eyes

i wouldn't say i do it very often, but with the routers i have, i haven't seen any problems with that....
'i guess' its very much due to a either hardware failure or browser related error...just dont use chrome and chrome based browsers....try pale-moon, waterfox, operaGX, FFx ESR or portable...
best results i have with pale-moon...

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
Sponsor
Mihai_3
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:20    Post subject: i think this must be sugested Reply with quote
it should be suggested with Tip balloon Exclamation to the user. I'm using FireFox which I find very good on my day-to-day administration on border routers and various edge connections for many networks.

Anyway, i'm not an expert on DD-WRT I just tell you that restoring backup BIN file over HTTPS with Firefox on my specific router it's fails...I have tried a couple of times already.
I just made the settings again but this is not easy when you have more than just defaults.
You know what I mean....
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:50    Post subject: Re: restore BIN file settings on fail over HTTPS Reply with quote
Mihai_3 wrote:
yes, restoring my backup (.BIN) over HTTPS from LAN failed to me also when I try it.

I consider this a bug, Shocked since there is no warning of anything to let the user know that restoring over HTTPS it will not work.
Now, reading this thread I discover that it's already known.

I have: DD-WRT v3.0-r44715 std (11/03/20)
inside of: TP-Link WR1043ND V2. Rolling Eyes

i also have 1043v2 and it never failed restoring my settings over https (i only use https 4 GUI)...

possible failure scenarios:
-corrupted hardware
-corrupted save file
-corrupted use of the browser, addons, settings
-inappropriate use of a save file, do not use safe file from a different builds
-bad wi-fi client, that drops packets while restoring, so try LAN cable while restoring

in the past, i also used to do a reset, than manual rebuild, yep i know ts hurts and its a slow, but i also know how to do it quick Wink
I guess the most painful to you is adding all those static clients isn't it...

Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
Mihai_3
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alozaros: when you restore do you have exactly and precise my version ?

I have version: DD-WRT v3.0-r44715 std (11/03/20)
it could be BUG only in my specific version. Rolling Eyes

Ooo, one more thing, I never user WiFi connections for restoring configuration on any hardware that I manage.
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am 100% sure Alozaros has used r44715 and 100% sure you need to upgrade regardless of bug existence.
Mihai_3
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
now looking in his signature I see otherwise ...
let's wait his response on this.
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 13:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mihai_3 wrote:
now looking in his signature I see otherwise ...
let's wait his response on this.

hmmm...as far as i remember i was testing something with it, prbbl WiFi changes and just looked at my save folder 44715 and i have 3 save files .... i hadn't complain about restore back up not working...

and yes i do recall some complains on the subject, (x86 ddwrt version) but i didn't have anything bad on 1043v2 yet...

one more possible reason is if you had a gremlins on your .bin file and those to interfere with the 44715...

"gremlins" are remains from previous firmwares when you do not reset..nobody knows why they happen and when....

Capture.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  22.83 KB
 Viewed:  674 Time(s)

Capture.JPG

Qualcomm-Atheros
Broadcom
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: