GPT for >2tb ext3 "partition unknown"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
wang_chung
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 19:40    Post subject: GPT for >2tb ext3 "partition unknown" Reply with quote
I tried searching but most of the posts are from 5yrs ago and all point to a post that says the GPT support bug has been resolved in the latest firmware but I'm on BrainSlayer's (thanks BrainSlayer!) latest 3.x kernel and still can't mount it. My WD 4tb was formatted with my linux box as EXT3 and while the drive is detected when plugged in, the log shows "sda partition unknown" and detects the hdd as 2tb not 4tb.

Either GPT support is only up to 2tb for my old model router or I'm doing something wrong, lol. I was able to load the ext4 module (along with the dependencies) and confirm ext2-4 show up in proc/filesystems.

I've read some threads where people get it detected but they're different models and I'm not sure if it's a hardware limitation.

Thanks in advance for any insight everyone.

RT-N16
BS latest beta
Wd 4tb nas red gpt ext3

EDIT: looks like the USB-Sata chipset's API comes in 3 possible varieties, 21bit, 32bit and 64bit LBA. Only 64bit supports more than 2tb, a theoretical limit of 8ZiB.

EDIT 2: newer usb-sata enclosure solved my issue. Thanks for looking!
Sponsor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: