WRT54GL WAN DHCP lease time reaching 0 (Test images on pg 5)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 17:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
https://www.wireshark.org/download.html

Probably would have to use the Debian/Ubuntu one for Mint.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Sponsor
ThaCrip
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 11:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well here I am around 24.5 hours later since routers last reboot and everything is the same.

at this point... my best guess is I probably won't possibly see something in the logs until I see something change on the "Remaining Lease Time"?

because it's counting down and has a bit under 5 days left now (it started at 6 days 10 minutes). my best guess is something probably won't show up in the logs until that changes in some way(?).

but assuming nothing turns up in the logs over the next 5 days or so, would it be worth changing the 'Security > Firewall > Log Management > Log Level' from it's default of LOW, to MEDIUM or HIGH?

because currently I already enabled Options for 'Dropped/Rejected/Accepted' which was disabled by default. so the only thing it appears I can change, assuming nothing shows up over the next 5 days or so, is the Log Level from it's default of Low, to Medium or High.

p.s. so far, after initial boot up phase stables out(which is probably a minute or so), I just see the usual NTP time stuff once a hour and a NVRAM commit shortly before 12am.

Primary Router: Linksys WRT54GS v1.1 /w dd-wrt.v24_mini_generic (r46640 May 13th 2021) ; new Panasonic capacitors Feb 11th 2020 | Backup Router: Linksys WRT54GS v6 /w dd-wrt.v24_micro_generic (r46640 May 13th 2021)
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 11:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
You won't see the "issue" until the lease time gets to halfway, at the earliest, if I am not mistaken. Otherwise, you won't see anything until it counts down all the way to 0. If by then, everything is still functional, then it is a webUI glitch, nothing more. If it is acting normally without counting down to 0 and not refreshing properly, then the issue has already been fixed... but when, I don't know. I'm wondering if this is possibly a browser issue as well.

----------------------
ThaCrip
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 14:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
You won't see the "issue" until the lease time gets to halfway, at the earliest, if I am not mistaken. Otherwise, you won't see anything until it counts down all the way to 0. If by then, everything is still functional, then it is a webUI glitch, nothing more. If it is acting normally without counting down to 0 and not refreshing properly, then the issue has already been fixed... but when, I don't know. I'm wondering if this is possibly a browser issue as well.

Looking at Page 3 of this thread I mentioned... "because with r41686 I noticed on both of my routers (ASUS WL-520gU/Linksys WRT54GS v1.1) the counter hits zero on 'Status > WAN' and it just stays there. but at least as of a day or two over the end of the lease my internet still seems to work."

so with that said, are you saying it's purely a cosmetic thing and that DD-WRT won't actually lose internet?

so assuming my internet does not actually disconnect I might just continue to leave the log stuff going and see what happens over the next few days to a week or so and if nothing is logged, I might just leave it going for a full month as I figure if my internet does not drop by then, chances are DD-WRT r41686 is working well. hence, no real issue to report (besides small cosmetic stuff which is not that big of a deal).

Primary Router: Linksys WRT54GS v1.1 /w dd-wrt.v24_mini_generic (r46640 May 13th 2021) ; new Panasonic capacitors Feb 11th 2020 | Backup Router: Linksys WRT54GS v6 /w dd-wrt.v24_micro_generic (r46640 May 13th 2021)
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 18:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
That is exactly what I am saying, that it may just be purely cosmetic, but not sure if it has already been fixed as I don't have one of these free to test myself, and I would have to dig back through a ton of commits to the source code to see. Either way, whatever you do find, let us know. I appreciate your efforts and help!

Also, this may likely be dependent on which browser you are using. I would test with Firefox ESR, Pale Moon, Safari, or some other non-Chromium browser. If testing with Chrome/Chromium-based browser, if it does exhibit the glitch, but with Firefox it does not, then we can make a determination there, too.

----------------------
ThaCrip
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 1:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
That is exactly what I am saying, that it may just be purely cosmetic, but not sure if it has already been fixed as I don't have one of these free to test myself, and I would have to dig back through a ton of commits to the source code to see. Either way, whatever you do find, let us know. I appreciate your efforts and help!

Yeah, I understand as it would probably take a lot of effort to find the exact build that 'remaining lease time' issue was potentially fixed.

but I figure at this point, since we already spent the time setting up the logging, I might as well just let it play itself out over say the next week to a month to know for sure.

but at least after I do this test I can probably know whether the WAN auto-renew issue is truly there or not since it ultimately hinges on whether my internet dies or not and then I can make a post in here and, hopefully, someone else can chime in confirming whatever is my experience.

Quote:
Also, this may likely be dependent on which browser you are using. I would test with Firefox ESR, Pale Moon, Safari, or some other non-Chromium browser. If testing with Chrome/Chromium-based browser, if it does exhibit the glitch, but with Firefox it does not, then we can make a determination there, too.

Yeah, ill check this since I got Firefox and Chrome installed. I use Firefox as my primary browser but I do have Chrome installed as a backup. basically Firefox with uBlock Origin (by Raymond Hill) but tweaked a bit (so it blocks 3rd-party iframes (but higher risk of breaking sites)) etc and then Chrome is extension free (as I got Pi-Hole setup so it gets some level of ad-filtering since it's network wide) when I use a site I can't risk it breaking because of the additional tweaks to uBlock Origin on Firefox. but if I do the Firefox test ill make sure to temporarily disable uBlock Origin and then force a re-fresh of the page which I think is CTRL+F5 just to help ensure there is no weird glitch due to that extension.

but anyways... once the all zero's lease occurs in DD-WRT, which it will in a bit over 4 days and 9 hours from now, ill check both browsers to see if they both report the all zero's or not on 'remaining lease time'.

kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 1:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sounds good.

----------------------
ThaCrip
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 15:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well 'Remaining Lease Time' has been all zero's for about four hours now (since my lease starts @ 6 days and 10 minutes) and my internet is still working and refreshing both Firefox and Chrome with CTRL+F5 still shows all zero's for Remaining Lease Time and there is basically no 'Syslog' info besides NTP time info.

but I think what I experienced above with the lease time reaching all zero's and the Syslog showing basically nothing besides NTP time updates was reported on the earlier pages of this thread.

so at this point I assume I might as well just see what happens over the next few weeks or so to see if my internet will eventually drop?

on a side note, I noticed the following was mentioned (which was in relation to a different router than my WRT54GS v1.1 if that matters)...

kernel-panic69 wrote:
Not sure on which svn revision commit this was fixed, but on E4200 v1 build r39572 k3x mega, log enabled, log level high, and drop, reject, accept enabled (and accept disabled with other two still enabled), save, apply settings, log pages were working and logging was present on serial console -AND- in syslog.

because I noticed on the 'Security > Firewall' and at the bottom area where it shows Log Management, below this section it shows 'Incoming Log' & 'Outgoing Log' both of which show nothing for me but I do currently have the 'Log Level' set to LOW (which is default when enabling 'Log') and all three Options (i.e. Dropped/Rejected/Accepted) are 'Enable' (which is Disabled by default) which has been this way since I rebooted the router for this test about 6 days and 4 hours ago now.

source for quote = https://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/3434

r41686.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  141.9 KB
 Viewed:  2310 Time(s)

r41686.png

Last edited by ThaCrip on Sun May 17, 2020 15:19; edited 1 time in total
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 15:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Since I am email-tagging with BS, I will ping him about this. Not sure if it has already been fixed in a newer release, the only way to know is to flash a newer release, unfortunately. Thanks for your help! If you wish to continue testing your present version, please report any issues. If you wish to update to a newer version to test and report, that would be great, too.

----------------------
ThaCrip
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 17:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Since I am email-tagging with BS, I will ping him about this.

Okay, sounds good. maybe you will find out some good info.

kernel-panic69 wrote:
Not sure if it has already been fixed in a newer release, the only way to know is to flash a newer release, unfortunately. Thanks for your help!

Yeah, if I do switch to a recent version ill probably try r43136 from May 13th 2020 since another user [Veritech] flashed it to a 'WRT54GS v1' router, I got a v1.1. so it should be pretty safe it won't brick my router at the least which is what I am mainly concerned with on trying different firmware versions since I don't have a JTAG setup.

p.s. but speaking of TJAG. if I were to need one, would this work(?)... https://www.diygadget.com/all-in-one-jtag-cable-for-fta ; or maybe this one(?)... https://www.diygadget.com/jtag-cable-for-wireless-routers ; the package contents seems to vary a little between those two. this site seems to be good info in relation to my WRT54GS setup... http://tiaowiki.com/w/Debrick_Routers_Using_JTAG_Cable#Locate_the_JTAG_Pins.2FPads_on_the_Router ; but it seems even if that works, I would have to reinstall Windows XP or maybe Windows 7. but playing around with a copy of "tjtag3-0-1.zip" (which seems like it's not available online anymore. which I must have saved to my computer years ago) a moment ago just to see if I could get it to run on Linux Mint v19.3-Cinnamon 64bit I changed to the 'linux_64bit' directory after extracting that zip file and then typed in "./tjtag3" (without the ") and hit ENTER and I am guessing if I did it for real it would probably work since it loads up "EJTAG Debrick Utility v3.0.1 Tornado-MOD" which a bunch of text below that showing all of the commands etc. so if that worked, I could dodge having to reinstall Windows XP (or Windows 7(?)) on a old computer etc should I ever need to JTAG my WRT54GS v1.1.

kernel-panic69 wrote:
If you wish to continue testing your present version, please report any issues. If you wish to update to a newer version to test and report, that would be great, too.

Yeah, I think I might as well see how long r41686 will go as I figure if I can get a full month out of it without any issues, chances are that 'Remaining Lease Time' etc is just a glitch in the DD-WRT web page and it's not that big of a deal. but if it does act up, like I get disconnected from the internet, I might consider trying r43136 (from May 13th 2020) to see if that's any better.

either way, it seems worst case scenario (especially if things are generally stable otherwise (like good besides potential internet connection being disconnected) over the next few weeks or so, so ill have about a full month of uptime) I could always continue using r41686 with the Herchi workaround since I know that resets the 'Remaining Lease Time' back to 6 days and 10 minutes. ill just have to tweak it a bit so it's not always renewing it every hour or so but maybe every few days or so.

kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 18:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
The linked JTAG stuff should work, *IF* you have a computer with a printer port, however the TUMPA is a neat little device. You just need the cable that goes between it and the JTAG header, if I am not mistaken. I have not had to JTAG anything on my bench... *yet*.

----------------------
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 13:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Some test images were posted to the ticket:

https://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/6456

I have also attached them here as a backup. If anyone could please test and report, thanks!

dd-wrt.v24_std_generic.bin
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  dd-wrt.v24_std_generic.bin
 Filesize:  3.57 MB
 Downloaded:  84 Time(s)

dd-wrt.v24_mini_generic.bin
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  dd-wrt.v24_mini_generic.bin
 Filesize:  3.3 MB
 Downloaded:  77 Time(s)

dd-wrt.v24_mega_generic.bin
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  dd-wrt.v24_mega_generic.bin
 Filesize:  7.12 MB
 Downloaded:  212 Time(s)

----------------------
ThaCrip
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 20:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well I flashed that test build (r43190 (May 18th 2020) Mini Generic) to my old ASUS WL-520gU (it had Shibby 124 on it from Dec 2014) from the GUI and the flashing process went okay as I heard that router is harder to brick if something does goes wrong. so I am not as worried about that one acting up (although it's not connected to the internet at the moment). but anyways...

I assume you need me to properly test r43190 as in it needs to be connected online (so WAN port is being used) to see if the WAN DHCP auto-renew resets the GUI to the proper 'Remaining Lease Time' instead of counting down to all zero's?

but assuming that's true... since there is no obvious major issues during the flash here on my ASUS WL-520gU (Broadcom BCM5354 chip rev 3) would it be safe to assume it will be okay on my WRT54GS v1.1 (Broadcom BCM4712 chip rev 1)? ; or is there no real way to say for sure?

because if it should be reasonably safe, I can probably flash to that (on my WRT54GS v1.1) if you want me to? ; or do you think it would be good if I continue on my test (say over the next few weeks or so) r41686 to see if my internet eventually goes out?

p.s. my WRT54GS v1.1 on r41686 is still currently at 7 days 9 hours+ and internet still works (initial 'Remaining Lease Time' is 6 days 10 minutes) even though it still reports as all zeros on remaining lease time.

Last edited by ThaCrip on Tue May 19, 2020 20:13; edited 1 time in total
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 22:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
It should be safe for your WRT54*. You should test the WL500* connected directly to your ISP. If they both work as expected and the lease time does not expire in the webUI, please report here, thanks!

----------------------
ThaCrip
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 10:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
I flashed this r43190 (May 18th 2020) test build to my Linksys WRT54GS v1.1 a moment ago and it's connected to the internet now with my usual 6 days and 10 minutes initial lease. so now we just have to sit back and wait and see how the 'Remaining Lease Time' plays out over the next few days to a week or so.

NOTE: I did a proper reset (i.e. basically held reset button on router for 30 seconds) and reconfigured from scratch just to make sure everything is optimal for this r43190 test build and no random glitches turn up due to lack of a proper router reset.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 5 of 6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: