WRT54GL WAN DHCP lease time reaching 0 (Test images on pg 5)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 17:04    Post subject: Re: K2.6 build has no such issue Reply with quote
Herchi wrote:
kernel-panic69 wrote:
I presume this is on K2.4 builds only and not K2.6.

Yes, it is K2.4 build. I updated the firmware to K2.6 on Apr 21 and it has renewed the lease time twice when reaching 0. I am now using dd-wrt.v24-42954_NEWD-2_K2.6_mega.

Did you check to see if SFE was turned on, try turning it off and testing?

jwh7 wrote:
Bernie wrote:
But the problem disappeared when I turned off the "Shortcut Forwarding Engine".

DD-WRT v3.0-r35531 std (03/26/1Cool
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2018/03-26-2018-r35531/broadcom/dd-wrt.v24_std_generic.bin
Interesting; I've always had it off on my k2.4 devices, as it should really default off anyway for pre-k3.10 builds, since SFE isn't supported on them. Sounds like the GUI is still doing something with it though...

If the issue was still there after that, then I will need to see if this was resolved or cycle the bug report.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Sponsor
Herchi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 20:08    Post subject: Re: K2.6 build has no such issue Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:

Did you check to see if SFE was turned on, try turning it off and testing?

jwh7 wrote:
Bernie wrote:
But the problem disappeared when I turned off the "Shortcut Forwarding Engine".

DD-WRT v3.0-r35531 std (03/26/1Cool
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2018/03-26-2018-r35531/broadcom/dd-wrt.v24_std_generic.bin
Interesting; I've always had it off on my k2.4 devices, as it should really default off anyway for pre-k3.10 builds, since SFE isn't supported on them. Sounds like the GUI is still doing something with it though...

If the issue was still there after that, then I will need to see if this was resolved or cycle the bug report.

I saw that post. I remembered that it should be off so I haven't touched it. I just checked my current K2.6. It is enabled but doesn't affect DHCP renew.
ThaCrip
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 12:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
I suspect what Herchi said about the DHCP WAN auto-renew is probably going to work as I went back to DD-WRT r41686 a few hours ago and applied his...

0 * * * * root /bin/kill -USR1 `cat /var/run/udhcpc.pid` > /tmp/udhcpc_renew.log 2>&1

...and it seems to reset the WAN renew time once a hour on the hour as I check the 'Status > WAN' and remaining lease time seems to start off at 6 days 10 min for me and the router has a bit over 3 hours runtime now and you can see the lease is in sync with the routers time to the second it appears.

but since Herchi's command appears to be working so far (thanks Herchi!), since my 'Remaining lease time' is resetting once a hour on the hour (based on routers time), would the following be better in terms of running once every few days so I don't hammer the ISP too often...

0 */72 * * * (NOTE: there is no gap between "*/72")

so if I used that will it always reset the WAN lease time once every 72 hours? ; because currently, with Herchi's exact cron job, it auto-renews every 1 hour which seems a bit too often given mine, at least so far, is resetting to 6 days and 10 minutes each time it renews the WAN lease.

p.s. sites like the following seem to help a bit... https://crontab.guru/ ; and some general searching online.

Primary Router: Linksys WRT54GS v1.1 /w dd-wrt.v24_mini_generic (r46640 May 13th 2021) ; new Panasonic capacitors Feb 11th 2020 | Backup Router: Linksys WRT54GS v6 /w dd-wrt.v24_micro_generic (r46640 May 13th 2021)
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 13:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kill all workarounds and provide logs. There is no telemetry provided for this issue, and I am not going to cycle a ticket without it.

----------------------
ThaCrip
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 18:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
@kernel-panic69

I assume you mean I need to enable... Services > System Log, then Syslogd and ENABLE it? ; but I assume I need to remove the cron job before doing so and wait until the WAN fails to auto-renew? ; if so, I would imagine that might take roughly 2-3 weeks before it acts up(?).

because I am not familiar with this stuff so you might have to guide me a bit on what you need me to do in the DD-WRT interface etc. because ill probably do it if it's a bug you guys can fix.

thanks for your time.

Primary Router: Linksys WRT54GS v1.1 /w dd-wrt.v24_mini_generic (r46640 May 13th 2021) ; new Panasonic capacitors Feb 11th 2020 | Backup Router: Linksys WRT54GS v6 /w dd-wrt.v24_micro_generic (r46640 May 13th 2021)
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 18:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, you will need to enable syslogd/klogd. You may also need to enable the firewall log if that is where the dhcp packets are logged as likely the dnsmasq internal logging is disabled by default. Need something that shows that the renewal fails and why, if at all possible. I was under the impression that this issue is a daily issue, not an infrequent issue. Also need to likely use as recent a build as possible - in fact, one was released today:

New Build - 05/09/2020 - r43099

Barring any issues with successful flash, it would be ideal to use the latest and greatest and monitor until failure and then provide the information here and/or attached to the ticket: https://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/6456

----------------------
ThaCrip
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 19:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
Yes, you will need to enable syslogd/klogd. You may also need to enable the firewall log if that is where the dhcp packets are logged as likely the dnsmasq internal logging is disabled by default. Need something that shows that the renewal fails and why, if at all possible.

Where is the klogd located?

because I assume the firewall log is... Security > Firewall > Log Management, then 'Log' and click 'Enable'?

so it seems I can find two out of the three logging things you mentioned (i.e. syslogd/firewall log).

Quote:
I was under the impression that this issue is a daily issue, not an infrequent issue.

If that's the case then it would take a couple days tops to get enough info Wink

Quote:
Also need to likely use as recent a build as possible - in fact, one was released today:

Unless that's critical I would avoid it since this WAN renew issue has apparently been around for quite some time now. so even though the build I am using is not super recent, it's not that long ago either from Dec 10th 2019 and wouldn't it pretty much react the same?

I mainly say that because I would rather avoid flashing a build that I am not reasonably sure won't brick my router since I don't have a JTAG setup. so it would be nice to see someone confirm it won't brick these WRT54G variations before I would feel more comfortable trying it.

either way, with the logs from r41686 should get you guys in the ball park of where the issues is, right?

kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 20:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Services->System Log should have syslogd and klogd radio buttons, unless the WRT54*/K2.4 builds are that much different.

Yes, Security->Firewall->Log Management.

Ok, use the build you have, but also check release threads to see if anyone has reported successful flash of a newer release and use your own good judgement.

----------------------
ThaCrip
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 20:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
Services->System Log should have syslogd and klogd radio buttons, unless the WRT54*/K2.4 builds are that much different.

Yeah, your right. it's just not visible until one clicks the ENABLE on 'syslogd' and then the 'klogd' appears just below it and then I can click on the ENABLE on that one to.

but anyways... now I should have enough info to proceed with the test. but just to confirm... I assume I just want to remove the cron job text and click save and then turn on the three logs you mentioned, save, then reboot router? ; I am just double checking so I do this stuff right.

p.s. because after changing from r33772 to r41686, even after selecting the 'After flashing, reset to: Reset to Default settings' when I flashed to r41686, things were out of whack like selecting wireless encryption was displaying weird stuff (I forgot the exact text but it was showing the same text three times which had nothing to do with the usual options that are normally displayed there) etc. but after holding reset button for 30 seconds, everything returned to normal and worked as expected on r41686.

come to think of it... if I do have to try a recent build I am unsure of, I would probably temporarily use my ASUS WL-520gU router instead of the WRT54GS v1.1 as I imagine the ASUS router is harder to brick due to it's built in firmware restoration mode.

kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 20:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, enable all the logging and remove the cron job, save and reboot. That should be all that is required. Not sure the Asus will display the same behavior, but worth a shot.

----------------------
ThaCrip
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 20:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Okay, but I plan on holding off on the ASUS option for now and will be mainly focused on the WRT54GS v1.1 router since it's my primary one and it's pretty much what's in the topic.

but I enabled the log stuff like you said (and removed the custom cron job stuff so there is nothing in that section now) and rebooted.

but for whatever reason the 'Klogd' does not stay enabled (although the other two logging options seem okay). is this a problem?

but that Klogd issue aside... I do see on the Security > Firewall section options...

Log...
Log Level = Low

Options...
Dropped = Disable
Rejected = Disable
Accepted = Disable

those are the defaults which I did not mess with if this matters(?).

kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 22:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
You may want to enable all three. It shouldn't take too long for this to transpire as most default leases are 24 hours. That is IF it is a daily occurrence. The only other option I can think of is to disable the firewall logging and use Wireshark on a windows client connected on the same subnet as your router's WAN to sniff packets that way. I don't think you can sniff the WAN packets from the LAN.

----------------------
ThaCrip
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 10:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
You may want to enable all three. It shouldn't take too long for this to transpire as most default leases are 24 hours. That is IF it is a daily occurrence.

Hopefully, but if my lease starts off at 6 days and 10 minutes, will that possibly take days before anything triggers?

because currently it's about 14 hours since I rebooted the router and I don't see anything obvious in the logs based on the way things were set up on my previous post in this topic.

but ill probably try enabling all three options (i.e. Dropped/Rejected/Accepted) and apply those and reboot the router and see how things play out.

but is there anything specific I need to look for because based on the settings I had in my previous post, after about 14 hours now, nothing looks interesting in the log section as it's pretty much just NTP time server stuff updating once a hour.

Quote:
The only other option I can think of is to disable the firewall logging and use Wireshark on a windows client connected on the same subnet as your router's WAN to sniff packets that way. I don't think you can sniff the WAN packets from the LAN.

I am not on Windows as I have not used Windows since pretty much 2018 as in Jan 2019 I switched to Linux Mint. I do have Windows 10 running on VirtualBox virtual machine (from within Linux Mint) if that helps(?).

but hopefully something shows up in the DD-WRT logs within a week tops, but ill see how things look over a 24 hour time span etc.

kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 11:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
DHCP requests and DHCP acks and such, particularly on the WAN interface. That is essentially what seems to be broken, unless it is just a webUI bug. But we have to figure out which it is.

----------------------
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 14:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wireshark is available for Linux.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 4 of 6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: