TL-WR1043ND v1.0 bricks every time I webflash

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
SuperLid
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:45    Post subject: TL-WR1043ND v1.0 bricks every time I webflash Reply with quote
I have searched and tried all I can think of to upgrade this unit. I get as far as factory to DD-WRT and then brick.

Anyone have a working version with certainty?

Thanks!
Sponsor
DataBeta
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm no expert as I have bricked the same router recently trying to install the most recent dd-wrt version for the 1043nd (mine is hw version 1.11) - without looking at my other pc I think it was 36698 that bricked mine..factory to ddwrt bricked it...

this thread

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=316454

which I read earlier today suggests similar and also names some versions which have been more stable in the past..

I have to first unbrick mine most likely via soldering before I get a chance to install anything again!
SuperLid
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Are you not able to de-brick with TFTP?

DataBeta wrote:
I'm no expert as I have bricked the same router recently trying to install the most recent dd-wrt version for the 1043nd (mine is hw version 1.11) - without looking at my other pc I think it was 36698 that bricked mine..factory to ddwrt bricked it...

this thread

which I read earlier today suggests similar and also names some versions which have been more stable in the past..

I have to first unbrick mine most likely via soldering before I get a chance to install anything again!
DataBeta
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
SuperLid wrote:

No. Tried on different machines, different versions of tftpd.

No luck. Infinite reboot loop where the power led stays on and all others just flash briefly. If a eth port is connected, its light will flash briefly efore the entire sequence just repeats, infinitely.

On the windows pc, the network icon will flash between lan cable connected and lan cable disconnected, when the pc is set to static 192.168.0.66 and connected to an eth port on the 1043nd...

Someone in a similar thread said some routers need a switch inbetween pc and router for tftp but someone else said probably not in this case...

I am preparing to solder, items are ordered..
SuperLid
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was frustrated as well when trying TFTP. If you are using the procedure on OpenWRT, it is incorrect. The issue is the recovery filename has a typo.

I am able to recover flawlessly every time now, with TFTP.

Use this filename in a folder with the stripped file.

wr1043nv1_tp_recovery.bin

DataBeta wrote:
SuperLid wrote:

No. Tried on different machines, different versions of tftpd.

No luck. Infinite reboot loop where the power led stays on and all others just flash briefly. If a eth port is connected, its light will flash briefly efore the entire sequence just repeats, infinitely.

On the windows pc, the network icon will flash between lan cable connected and lan cable disconnected, when the pc is set to static 192.168.0.66 and connected to an eth port on the 1043nd...

Someone in a similar thread said some routers need a switch inbetween pc and router for tftp but someone else said probably not in this case...

I am preparing to solder, items are ordered..
DataBeta
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
SuperLid wrote:
I was frustrated as well when trying TFTP. If you are using the procedure on OpenWRT, it is incorrect. The issue is the recovery filename has a typo.

I am able to recover flawlessly every time now, with TFTP.

Use this filename in a folder with the stripped file.

wr1043nv1_tp_recovery.bin

Thanks for the tip. I got the stripped file from fried zombie. Can't remember exact file name i used but it does sound familiar. Not near that pc now so will check later.

One thing to note, my understanding is that if tftp reovery is working then regardless of the correct filename being present, i should see in the tftpd log tab an attempt by the router trying to pickup the correct file name?

I want to confirm this as no matter how many times i tried, the log is empty.

One write up i saw stated that a way to get the correct naming convention is to check the tftpd log but mine was always empty.
SuperLid
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Then you are doing something wrong. If the TFTP server is connected, you should at minimum see file not found in the log.
DataBeta
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
SuperLid wrote:
Then you are doing something wrong. If the TFTP server is connected, you should at minimum see file not found in the log.

I've connected the router to a vanilla xp machine with no frewalls or av. Connected to ethernet port

Pc static ip 192.168.0.66.

Ttpd32 installed. Checked filename just now, same as what you mentioned, in the relevant tftpd directory, waiting for pickup.

Reset switch held in by tool, as power cable inserted. Reset switch released after few seconds.

Nothing ever show up logs.

Have tried different ports.

Have tried binding tftpd to 192.168.0.66 although this is lost when windows thinks the connection nters cable unplugged state which is what happens in an infinite on off loop.

Any tips on what iam doing wrong or what i am not trying?
SuperLid
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am working on my router now, as build 35831 installed without a hitch. I will get back with you on my steps in a bit. It should work...but I had a hard time myself.
SuperLid
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 13:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
The first thing I do, is turn off the wifi radio in the PC.

Set your static IP as you have been,to 192.168.0.66

Be sure you connect ethernet to a LAN port on the router.

Be sure you have a folder that contains the renamed, stripped recovery file that you can direct TFTP (I used Tftpd64)to. I named the folder with the same name as the recovery file. I also put a copy of the recovery file in the Tftpd64 directory.

I found that in my case, holding reset while powering up was unnecessary.

DataBeta wrote:
SuperLid wrote:

I've connected the router to a vanilla xp machine with no frewalls or av. Connected to ethernet port

Pc static ip 192.168.0.66.

Ttpd32 installed. Checked filename just now, same as what you mentioned, in the relevant tftpd directory, waiting for pickup.

Reset switch held in by tool, as power cable inserted. Reset switch released after few seconds.

Nothing ever show up logs.

Have tried different ports.

Have tried binding tftpd to 192.168.0.66 although this is lost when windows thinks the connection nters cable unplugged state which is what happens in an infinite on off loop.

Any tips on what iam doing wrong or what i am not trying?
DataBeta
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
SuperLid wrote:

Be sure you have a folder that contains the renamed, stripped recovery file that you can direct TFTP (I used Tftpd64)to. I named the folder with the same name as the recovery file. I also put a copy of the recovery file in the Tftpd64 directory.

yeah did all of that, have tried with tftpd64 and tftpd32, different versions from latest well back to much earlier versions.

Wireless radio off, static IP set as 192.168.0.66.

I even tried today by connecting the PC to a dumb switch and the router to the dumb switch, in case the cable unplugged detection was the issue.

Now, when PC is plugged into a dumb switch the cable unplugged issue disappears, but there are still no messages in the log from the router, which is connected to the same dumb switch.

Looks like soldering and serial connection are my only option.
dirtrunner
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
See this post:
Do you have the same problem?
Have you tried r36079?
hrivas
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
DataBeta wrote:
SuperLid wrote:

yeah did all of that, have tried with tftpd64 and tftpd32, different versions from latest well back to much earlier versions.

Wireless radio off, static IP set as 192.168.0.66.

I even tried today by connecting the PC to a dumb switch and the router to the dumb switch, in case the cable unplugged detection was the issue.

Now, when PC is plugged into a dumb switch the cable unplugged issue disappears, but there are still no messages in the log from the router, which is connected to the same dumb switch.

Looks like soldering and serial connection are my only option.
my 5c: router pluged. 192.168.0.66 on computer. TFTP start and set TFTPD port 69. restart tftpd. then push both QSS and reset button and may be will start. oterwise take wireshark and try combination changing IPs and pushing buttons till see Who is 192.168.0.66 tell 192.168.0.86 and request for file /eventually black line with some errors. \Good luck/
MomenMamdouh
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 16:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
For tp-link archer c7 v2, i have a problem when webflashing recent builds, router won't restart after uploading the firmware. once i waited for the router to restart for about an hour but it didn't happen, i'm lucky that manual restarting after 10 minutes from uploading the firmware didn't break my router
TP-Link WR740n v5
ian5142
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 21:00    Post subject: Archer C7 v2 Reply with quote
How are you doing the webflash? Via GUI? I do all of my upgrades via GUI unless otherwise noted on my build thread posts. I have not had a build do that in at least the last 6 months.

Some dd-wrt wiki pages are up to date, others are not. PM me if you find an old one.

Atheros:
Netgear R7800 x3 - WDS AP / station, gateway, QoS
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 x2 - WDS Station
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1 - WDS Station
TP-Link 841nd v8 - NU
D-Link 615 C1/E3/I1 x 7 - 1 WDS station
D-Link 825 B1 - NU
D-Link 862L A1 x2 - WDS Station
Netgear WNDR3700v2 - NU
UBNT loco M2 x2 - airOS

Broadcom
Linksys EA6400 - Gateway, QoS
Asus N66U - AP
Netgear WNDR3700v3 - not used
MediaTek
UBNT EdgeRouter X - switch
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 3
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: