R6700v3 & r36070M kongac 053118 3s Latency w/ many clien

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
doctorpangloss
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 17:59    Post subject: R6700v3 & r36070M kongac 053118 3s Latency w/ many clien Reply with quote
Just sharing my experience with a reproducible latency issue. I was playing Civ V with 6 people, achieving a total load of clients on the R6700v3 of about 15 machines including the user's phones and a few Sonos devices.

The host was on 2.4 GHz, and the clients were on a mix of the two interfaces. Multi-second latencies were observed after a while, and the web interface in dd-wrt was quite slow.

5/6 of the clients were macOS, and one was Windows 10.

Changing the host to 5 GHz fixed the problem immediately. Restarting the game did not.

ipv6 and FQ_codel are the only meaningful configuration settings.

What information from the device could help diagnose the issue? Otherwise I'm really happy with the firmware.
Sponsor
danielwritesback
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 15:13    Post subject: Re: R6700v3 & r36070M kongac 053118 3s Latency w/ many c Reply with quote
doctorpangloss wrote:
...The host was on 2.4 GHz...
Changing the host to 5 GHz....

It could be a topology mistake that will do the same bad performance with any equipment: Server and 15 clients share the same wifi, so the servers accessibility is blocked by 15 times. If you have a server/host involved, you MUST buy an Ethernet cable for your sever.
The wifi-only alternative exists. Netgear calls it Fastlane. Everyone else says 5ghz backhaul. Use a separate SSID for the 5ghz and allow only the server/host to use it. Its technically correct along with a little bit of terrible because your clients can't use the 5ghz that way. Again, ethernet cable for servers.
deslatha
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 19:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Each client required at least from 65mb/s up to 130mb/s. Average if you set 217mbp for link speed on 2.4ghz then max =4 client with out latency. For 5ghz wl then it is double up. If vpn and block ad turn on then more you get delay. Only solution i found that convert antenna to mimo if not install more router.(130mb/s x 15=max speed rate of router).
nvram set 0:txchain=3 // set transmit antenna = 2 spatial
nvram set 0:rxchain=7 // set receiver antenna = 3 spatial
nvram commit // action
repeeat for 5ghz.
As you see, router always has 1 spatial antenna that standby to receive signal request from devices. ( from half duplex to 3/4 full duplex).
doctorpangloss
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
deslatha wrote:
Each client required at least from 65mb/s up to 130mb/s. Average if you set 217mbp for link speed on 2.4ghz then max =4 client with out latency. For 5ghz wl then it is double up. If vpn and block ad turn on then more you get delay. Only solution i found that convert antenna to mimo if not install more router.(130mb/s x 15=max speed rate of router).
nvram set 0:txchain=3 // set transmit antenna = 2 spatial
nvram set 0:rxchain=7 // set receiver antenna = 3 spatial
nvram commit // action
repeeat for 5ghz.
As you see, router always has 1 spatial antenna that standby to receive signal request from devices. ( from half duplex to 3/4 full duplex).

These are interesting commands and thanks for the concrete suggestion.

Thanks also to the notes about why, generally, wifi multiplayer will be glitchy. I'll use the ethernet cable for the host next time.
danielwritesback
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:11    Post subject: Re: R6700v3 & r36070M kongac 053118 3s Latency w/ many c Reply with quote
doctorpangloss wrote:
...the web interface in dd-wrt was quite slow....

Sorry that I had overlooked this!
Set tcp timeout to 600 and udp timeout to 48 (or even 30) on the admin page. Disable upnp and substitute port forwarding when needed. Disable traffdaemon in the services page.

Your description is either the cpu above 80% saturation or the memory full. Triage settings for bittorrent overload probably will work to tame that situation.

Even though there was a wifi problem, I can't determine if it was cause or effect.

If the wifi was the actual cause, you need to add an access point, AP, a wifi station with No "router" in it. This would be cabled (ethernet cable) to the opposite side of the scene. If the netgear is 192.168.1.1, the AP is 192.168.1.2. DNS and Gateway settings on the AP are 192.168.1.1. The netgear and added AP share the same wireless ssid, same password, but you put them on different channels. At 2.4ghz, that's 11+lower for the Netgear vs 1+upper for the AP. Hopefully the cable is long enough to avoid interference in the overlap region--the AP does have to be on the "opposite" side of the clients.
After adding the AP, wifi roaming should cover up errors, as the clients use whichever wireless suits them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: