Time Machine not seeing shared drive on R7000P

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
jmleczko
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 22:20    Post subject: Time Machine not seeing shared drive on R7000P Reply with quote
Here's what I have:
Router:
Netgear NightHawk R7000P

Firmware:
DD-WRT v3.0-r36440M kongac (07/30/1Cool

Ext HDD:
Seagate Backup+ Hub (4TB) w/ 2 partitions
Partition sda2 with exFat format for all my Media
Partition sda3 with HFS+ format for my Backup

Laptop:
MacbookPro 13" (2015)
Version 10.13.5 (High Sierra)

What works:
I set up File Sharing/miniDLNA/Samba. I can access all my media on the sda2 drive with my laptop to upload media. I can also get to it to stream just fine. I'm using VLC on an AppleTV. All of it works great.

What's not working:
I can't get Time Machine to recognize the sda3 drive so I can use it for backups. I used to be able to do this when the router was flashed with the factory netgear firmware. So I know it's possible. But I just can't seem to get it to work, or find any answers the google way. So hoping someone here can help shed some light.

Below are screenshots of my USB and NAS configs:

Thanks in advance,

-John

USB_Config.png
 Description:
USB Config
 Filesize:  178.11 KB
 Viewed:  2211 Time(s)

USB_Config.png

NAS_Config.png
 Description:
NAS Conifg
 Filesize:  208.79 KB
 Viewed:  2211 Time(s)

NAS_Config.png

Sponsor
superchase
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Unfortunately, you'll probably need to do some custom stuff to your config.

First, Time Machine on remote disks requires zeroconf, or Bonjour. Luckily, avahi is an excellent opensource zeroconf broadcaster.

Second, Time Machine on remote disks may require special disk properties. Samba 4.8+ is what you'll need for vfs_fruit implementation. I never got samba 4.7 to work with Time Machine on my server, but 4.8 worked just fine.

The link below is an excellent starting point for configuration. You may be just fine with the default configs listed there. Just make sure that the share defined in smb.conf is the same name that you are using in avahi's service configuration, i.e. if your share's name is Time Machine, use dk0=adVN=Time Machine,adVF=0x82 in the text record property.
https://gist.github.com/ChloeTigre/4c2022c0d1a281deedba6f7539a2e3ae

You may have to configure both of these outside of the gui, but it's not that hard to do! Just make sure to read through everything.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: