Poor performance on R9000

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
VirtualUK
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 18:21    Post subject: Poor performance on R9000 Reply with quote
Hi all - I flashed my Netgear R9000 with DD-WRT for the first time yesterday (v3.0-r36410 std (07/28/1Cool) and have found that the WAN throughput is really poor. I have a 1Gb/s fiber link that I'm able to get about 940-960Mb/s download and similar upload hanging directly off of the back of my ISP router, but coming out of the WAN port of the R9000 I'm only getting 153Mb/s download and between 65-100 Mb/s upload.

Also, WiFi performance is a fraction of what it was with the stock firmware.

Aside from setting up my static IPs on both the WAN and LAN side and enabling ssh so that I could log into the R9000 to run speedtest_cli I haven't made any other changes.

Any hints as to what I might have to change in order to get speeds back up to where they should be?

The only reason I moved off of the stock firmware was so that I could route to multiple LAN subnets, but if I can't get the performance back up I'll have to revert to stock and use NAT'ing to get around my multiple LAN subnet dilemma.
Sponsor
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 19:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
VirtualUK wrote:
Hi all - I flashed my Netgear R9000 with DD-WRT for the first time yesterday (v3.0-r36410 std (07/28/1Cool) and have found that the WAN throughput is really poor. I have a 1Gb/s fiber link that I'm able to get about 940-960Mb/s download and similar upload hanging directly off of the back of my ISP router, but coming out of the WAN port of the R9000 I'm only getting 153Mb/s download and between 65-100 Mb/s upload.

Also, WiFi performance is a fraction of what it was with the stock firmware.

Aside from setting up my static IPs on both the WAN and LAN side and enabling ssh so that I could log into the R9000 to run speedtest_cli I haven't made any other changes.

Any hints as to what I might have to change in order to get speeds back up to where they should be?

The only reason I moved off of the stock firmware was so that I could route to multiple LAN subnets, but if I can't get the performance back up I'll have to revert to stock and use NAT'ing to get around my multiple LAN subnet dilemma.

Did you at any point power cycle your modem/fiber switch and R9000?

First thing would be to do that. Sometimes after initial flash things are a little wonky and the R9000 needs a physical power cycle off/on. The Fiber switch/media converter/ONT may need to be re-booted, too, to assign a new IP to the R9000, not sure if fiber=dedicated IP or not? I only have a cable modem and know that it needed to be rebooted to assign a new IP. I have no idea how the fiber does its thing

I would also perform an erase nvram to make sure nothing from the stock firmware is lingering in settings.
You may also want to go to Setup>Networking and change all the TX Queue Length's to 3 packets instead of 1000 and then go to Admin> and find IP Filter Settings and choose cubic. Once you have those settings done, do another physical reboot and start making changes.

My guess is that something is lingering around from the flash from stock to dd-wrt.
VirtualUK
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 19:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah, I've hard power cycled both the R9000 and the fiber router a few times but no difference.

What's the correct way to wipe the nvram?
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 21:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
VirtualUK wrote:
Yeah, I've hard power cycled both the R9000 and the fiber router a few times but no difference.

What's the correct way to wipe the nvram?

admin>commands "erase nvram" (no quotes) in the commands box and then run command. Might as well do a factory reset afterwards too; admin>factory defaults.
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 23:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
erasing nvram is a factory reset, to make it reboot instantly after wiping it add "&& reboot" after the wipe command

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55797 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55797 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

VirtualUK
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Arghhh.... ok, after doing that, it's lost my SSID, it's showing dd-wrt as the SSID and any key I try to provide it doesn't work. I'm guessing there's a default wifi key but I have limited access to the web now, trying to use my phone to find the answer, but not having much luck.
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
VirtualUK wrote:
Arghhh.... ok, after doing that, it's lost my SSID, it's showing dd-wrt as the SSID and any key I try to provide it doesn't work. I'm guessing there's a default wifi key but I have limited access to the web now, trying to use my phone to find the answer, but not having much luck.

The key will be on the label of the router. It defaults to the baked in password assigned by Netgear. Look on the label.
VirtualUK
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
That was the first place I looked, no dice. I did manage to get access to it though via ethernet and setup the SSID and password for it. I set up my static IP address for the WAN and rebooted and now I've got another problem. It's got the IP address of 192.168.43.1 but when I point my browser there to log in it doesn't connect. It connects to the web ok, but I can't access the console.
VirtualUK
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is turning into a bit of a nightmare. Factory reset isn't doing a thing any more. I'm stuck with a really expensive router I can't get into, with atrocious wifi and ethernet speeds.
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
VirtualUK wrote:
This is turning into a bit of a nightmare. Factory reset isn't doing a thing any more. I'm stuck with a really expensive router I can't get into, with atrocious wifi and ethernet speeds.

Is it possible you got a bunk router? Someone else got a bad one in the main R9000 forum post.

How did it run on stock Netgear firmware?
It sounds like you have several conflicting settings going on. So how is your IP assigned from your ISP?
VirtualUK
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've had it from new, for a while, no previous issues with it. It ran perfectly fine with the stock firmware, great speeds. The only rub was that Netgear took away the ability to route to more than one subnet on the LAN, hence why I wanted to install dd-wrt.
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
VirtualUK wrote:
I've had it from new, for a while, no previous issues with it. It ran perfectly fine with the stock firmware, great speeds. The only rub was that Netgear took away the ability to route to more than one subnet on the LAN, hence why I wanted to install dd-wrt.

I am not running any additional VLAN's, but you have to know what you are doing. I am no expert.... Seems like you are having a VLAN ID issue...

See if these point you in the right direction:
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=305025&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=420

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=316103

http://mrjcd.com/EA8500_DD-WRT/vlans/

and maybe someone like @MRJCD, @sweatbee, or @ibreakit can help you out. Try PM'ing them? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

the r9000 is more than capable of doing it, you just need some guidance that's beyond my knowledge base.

EDIT:
Well, as of pg 46 VLAN's may not be possible, but ibreakit seems to have gotten his to work on pg 27...

Last edited by msoengineer on Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:27; edited 2 times in total
VirtualUK
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks, I wasn't trying to VLAN though, just be able to handling routing back to a second subnet which was via another router on the LAN. It looks like the only way to do it with stock according to the interwebs is to IP masquerade but that doesn't help my particular situation.

I managed, after a handful of power downs/resets managed to get the portal back up and flash it with stock again and hey presto I'm back to blistering fast speeds again.

Thanks for the help, I really do appreciate it.
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
VirtualUK wrote:
Thanks, I wasn't trying to VLAN though, just be able to handling routing back to a second subnet which was via another router on the LAN. It looks like the only way to do it with stock according to the interwebs is to IP masquerade but that doesn't help my particular situation.

I managed, after a handful of power downs/resets managed to get the portal back up and flash it with stock again and hey presto I'm back to blistering fast speeds again.

Thanks for the help, I really do appreciate it.

You might want to see if Voxel's firmware is any better for your needs.

Or, you can explain in more detail what you are trying to do and someone else can chime in. You weren't very explicit in your initial post what you were trying to accomplish.

Best of luck, sorry I couldn't help.
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Do not use any Voxel's firmware on it...
that's why reading pays off i do not have this unit but
i run only Kong's DD-WRT firmware on my Netgear routers
he is the main Netgear developer and his builds are tested and stable...well at least for me...
there is one more thing on the Basic settings menu there is
a thick called SFE and this is kind of accelerating engine
but its not working in conjunction with QoS and some others.. apart of that R9000 ive seen my friends R9000 capping great speeds with DD-WRT
http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K4-AC-ALPINE/

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: