R9000 upgrade problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
joncarlson
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 19:17    Post subject: R9000 upgrade problems Reply with quote
Hi,
Just trying to get DD-WRT installed on my R9000. I downloaded the latest build from the router database, ie BS Build 40189. I downloaded both factory-to-ddwrt.img and r9000-webupgrade.bin.

A long time ago I had downloaded an earlier version of those files, build 37305. Due to my own stupid file handling, I accidentally flashed the factory firmware to the 37305 version. But it all seemed OK.

However, now I'm trying to finish the job by flashing from that to the R9000-webupgrade.bin file from the 40189 build. It keeps not uploading. I select the file, click Upgrade, and it just sits there for 300 seconds and nothing happens. Eventually, I give up and power cycle the router (which then comes back to life with 37305).

Any insight? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

-Jon C.
Sponsor
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 19:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
So you have Netgear firmware on there now?

If yes, you need to use the Factory-to-dd-wrt IMG file.
For upgrades of DD-wrt already on the router you use BIN files.

use this one:
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2019/07-30-2019-r40459/netgear-r9000/factory-to-ddwrt.img

then see the rest of my signature below for tips and tricks.

[WDR3600]BS 36808 (Offsite)

TIPS/TRICKS:

Best QCA Wifi settings to use|Latency tricks|QoS Port priority||NEVER USE MU-MIO

Why to NOT use MU-MIMO||Max Wifi Pwr by Country||MCS Index Speeds||Correct QCA 5Ghz chnls to use||WIFI Chnl Freq WIKI
joncarlson
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 20:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry, I wasn't very clear.

I successfully used factory-to-ddwrt.img. I'm now running Build 37305.

I would like to update to the latest build, Build 40189. I downloaded the file r9000-webupgrade.bin from the "router database".

When I choose the R9000-webupgrade.bin file, it just sits there saying uploadig, but doesn't do anything. I don't think the file even uploads as my browser says "Uploading (0%)..." in the status bar.

Not quite sure what to even try...
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 21:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's a bug in the firmware.

Use your browser's "incognito" mode to perform the update.
use this file: ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2019/07-30-2019-r40459/netgear-r9000/r9000-webupgrade.bin

Also, you'll need to perform a factory reset going from such an old build. a bunch of nvram mappings changed and the new build will get bunked if you don't. Copy your settings to a text file or take screen captures... A P.I.T.A., but necessary.

Edit- You'll need to hard reboot first, too; it won't let you flash again if it gets stuck at 0%.

TIPS/TRICKS:

Best QCA Wifi settings to use|Latency tricks|QoS Port priority||NEVER USE MU-MIO

Why to NOT use MU-MIMO||Max Wifi Pwr by Country||MCS Index Speeds||Correct QCA 5Ghz chnls to use||WIFI Chnl Freq WIKI
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 22:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Resetting nvram 'every time' results in unnecessary flash wear. I only reset to defaults when I either 1) brick or 2) something goes screwy that requires that much of an in-depth troubleshooting. Of course, Atheros may be special like that and require a reset with every flash. Cool I quit using Chrome to flash because it doesn't always play nice, even in Incognito mode. Firefox seems to be what works best.
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 22:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Resetting nvram 'every time' results in unnecessary flash wear. I only reset to defaults when I either 1) brick or 2) something goes screwy that requires that much of an in-depth troubleshooting.

#2 applies here for sure- I only suggested resetting the NVRAM because I know for sure the mappings will be different between his current build and the 40459 build and it will act goofy if he doesn't. But normally, you don't need to perform a full reset; unless BS changes mappings...

I've had hangs in firefox too back in those 37000 builds...it's not immune, but does run better for sure- especially for KongPro/Luci.

TIPS/TRICKS:

joncarlson
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 22:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
msoengineer wrote:
It's a bug in the firmware.

Use your browser's "incognito" mode to perform the update.
use this file: ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2019/07-30-2019-r40459/netgear-r9000/r9000-webupgrade.bin

Ah ha. That did it - I just used Edge, which was at hand. That seems like it worked.

Thanks!
bushant
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 0:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Resetting nvram 'every time' results in unnecessary flash wear.

As the OP problem seems solved and since it came up I will ask this here.

I have read somewhere approximately how many times one could flash firmware safely without flash wear worries.
Cannot seem to find that anywhere now.

I don't think I have anything else going on to cause excessive wear.
Have flashed and reset several times in last days and began to wonder.

R7800 x2 kongat & BS WDS AP & Sta- R7500V2 BS std WDS STA- WNDR3700v4 BS std WDS STA- Nanostation M2 AirOS- LocoM2 AirOS
Broadcom:
R6200v2 kongac WLAN Repeater Archer C9 v1 OEM WAP

DDWRT Policy Based Routing guide by egc
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 0:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
bushant wrote:
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Resetting nvram 'every time' results in unnecessary flash wear.

As the OP problem seems solved and since it came up I will ask this here.

I have read somewhere approximately how many times one could flash firmware safely without flash wear worries.
Cannot seem to find that anywhere now.

I don't think I have anything else going on to cause excessive wear.
Have flashed and reset several times in last days and began to wonder.

First web search result:

https://askleo.com/can_a_usb_thumbdrive_wear_out/

I just don't risk wiping nvram if it's not absolutely necessary anymore. Parameters haven't changed all that much for me, and it's not that difficult to nvram unset once you figure out what really changed, if anything.
bushant
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks k-p69. I understand you also predict lotto Shocked

Looks like I will wear out long before flash chip does.

R7800 x2 kongat & BS WDS AP & Sta- R7500V2 BS std WDS STA- WNDR3700v4 BS std WDS STA- Nanostation M2 AirOS- LocoM2 AirOS
Broadcom:
R6200v2 kongac WLAN Repeater Archer C9 v1 OEM WAP

DDWRT Policy Based Routing guide by egc
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
bushant wrote:
Thanks k-p69. I understand you also predict lotto Shocked

Looks like I will wear out long before flash chip does.

Hahaha... I am still laughing about that comment on that ticket Laughing Cool
eginnc
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
I too used to worry about wearing out my flash - just changing firmware so often! Then, as above, I googled the specific flash chips in my routers, looked up their specifications and stopped worrying. I will wear out longgggg before the flash ship sails.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
eginnc wrote:
I too used to worry about wearing out my flash - just changing firmware so often! Then, as above, I googled the specific flash chips in my routers, looked up their specifications and stopped worrying. I will wear out longgggg before the flash ship sails.

Ok, not so much flash wear issue, unnecessary clearing of nvram because the parameters haven't changed _that_ much in the past couple of years. But to each their own on that whole thing. A bad config is a bad config, a working config is a working config. BUT, internal firmware changes, well.... that's something nvram isn't responsible for necessarily Wink Embarassed Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: