[Solved] After upgrade working devices aren’t pingable

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
zdzi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:49    Post subject: [Solved] After upgrade working devices aren’t pingable Reply with quote
r36427
Linksys 1900ACS

D-link cameras no longer respond to pings!!!
I only noticed recently (upgraded a month or so ago) because they still work and can be accessed through the browser. I can’t even ping them while ssh’ed into the router.

They are on wifi but other wifi devices can ping each other.

With the new build I did have to turn on ipv6 to get OpenVPN to work. However turning off ipv6 didn’t help. I also disabled all upnp but also no help. The cameras get statically assigned dhcp addresses and I can see they are attached to the wlan (and also they work). Can’t say the logs tell me much.

Anyone come across a similar situation before where devices aren’t pingable yet otherwise work fine, we’re pingable before, and don’t have any local firewall that could be interfering?

Last edited by zdzi on Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:03; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
zdzi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
ok, no comments/advice so I'll add some more info after more testing was done.

- there are 3 devices that cannot be pinged and they are all Dlink 935L cameras. Other devices (wired or wireless can be pinged)
- they are all on 2.4gz WLAN and can be reached on their http 80 port no problems from any device browser.
- when I ssh into the router I can ping other devices but no reply from these cameras.
- it normally would feel like a firewall on the devices but I don't believe the cameras have any (at the very least there is no configuration option for such things visible in their GUI)
- they used to be pingable before the upgrade because I used that for notifications if they were down or disconnected or forgotten to be turned on.

I'm completely out of ideas apart from flashing to the previous or different build and I don't want to go through a reconfig since (almost) everything else is working fine, performance is good and stable.

Any network or config gurus willing to suggest anything?
zdzi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
After many days of various diagnoses and getting to the point of posting here I stumbled to the camera firmware release notes and there is one line where ICMP ping was disabled (as a security measure).

I do have that firmware but I didn’t upgrade that since whenever. It’s the best fit but not sure how. I’m surprised I couldn’t find more on the web about this change and its impact.
myersw
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 17:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you for posting the "fix".
This maybe of use to other folks.
--bill

ISP:Comcast
tutorial for flashing "WRT" series:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=287813
DD-WRT Installation, Upgrade & Basic Setup–Cliff Notes:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=311117
Kong DD-WRT Config Tutorial:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Install-and-Configure-a-DD-WRT-Kong-Router/
I tried to be normal once. Worst 2 minutes ever.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: