Which build to update to...?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
JRM75
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 0:37    Post subject: Which build to update to...? Reply with quote
I have a WRT54GS V.6 using the DD-WRT v24-sp2 (01/01/09) micro(SVN revision 11296M NEWD Eko) build.

Is there a better build or one that I can safely upgrade to that removes the current web-gui vulnerability?
Sponsor
DHC_DarkShadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yea it's all here

http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv3/

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Isn't build 12533 unstable versus 11296, which is supposed to be one of the most stable Eko builds. I think there is more drawbacks than fixes by upgrading to this build, right? If so, I would preferrably stay with 11296 instead of upgrading to 12533 just for a vulnerability that hasn't affected me, yet. Smile
DHC_DarkShadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=52043

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
What would you recommend as a stable or non-problematic build above 12533 for my type of router?
DHC_DarkShadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am currently testing 12966 on all my gear. I haven't run across any problems. Seems fast.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
When you say "seems fast", you mean it's faster than other builds you've tried (i.e router performs better)?

Also, what was the old school way of debricking a router. I forgot the pins to hold down and stuff. Im not willing to use a JTAG and I'm stubborn enough to debrick it the modern way no matter what. It's way easier and faster for me.
DHC_DarkShadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
JRM75 wrote:
When you say "seems fast", you mean it's faster than other builds you've tried (i.e router performs better)?

No I mean it seems fast. My opinion. I am not gonna tell you it is faster than the other builds as i have not performance tested it, but for my applications the build runs better than some of the other builds i have run.

Quote:
Also, what was the old school way of debricking a router. I forgot the pins to hold down and stuff. Im not willing to use a JTAG and I'm stubborn enough to debrick it the modern way no matter what. It's way easier and faster for me.

Than maybe it would be a good idea for you to start with the announcements at the top of the forum. You should probably be prepared before you go any further.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
What's the point of reading the announcement if it doesn't tell me why I shouldn't debrick the modern way. Please tell me if I didn't read "that part", and quote it for me. I've debricked many routers countless of times back in year 2004. Of course, all builds were by Brain Slayer, so I'm not sure if JTAG was made for the newer builds; however, brain slayer or someone else mentioned it was still possible to debrick the old way. I can google and quote it for you. Smile
DHC_DarkShadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=55577

then

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=54889

Last edited by DHC_DarkShadow on Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:05; edited 1 time in total
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
JRM75 wrote:
What's the point of reading the announcement if it doesn't tell me why I shouldn't debrick the modern way.

I am always looking for better techniques.. What is "the modern way"?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
After reading the wiki: how to jtag and a build a jtag cable, it's actually pretty easy, safe, and inexpensive to buy the parts. I have the parts in box full of electronics, circuit boards, resistors,etc. Very Happy

About the ribbon cable: if it's a parallel printer cable, can't I just cut it in half?

I guess pin shorting would only be useful if the jtag connector on my router breaks or is pulled out from some sort of accident. Laughing
JRM75
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
bump..., cause I re-editted instead of replying.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: