Netgear NIghthawk R6700v3 AC1750

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
ludacrisvp
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 19:10    Post subject: Netgear NIghthawk R6700v3 AC1750 Reply with quote
Picked up this router for use at my parents ... what a pain to get it running ddwrt.
I've not seen anyone on here try to get it going.
Due to some issues with the board ID that netgear encodes into the firmware it isn't a simple path, and it sounds like I probably can't flash back to stock due to the hardware ID

This router is apparently a relabeled R6400v2 which is apparently a slightly modified relabeled R7000P.

Flashed R6700v3 to latest Netgear firmware (which is MD5 identical with R6400v2).

Then flashed it with https://www.myopenrouter.com/download/dd-wrt-netgear-r6400v2-2017-05-25
(as everything else I tried failed as invalid for one reason or another)

Shows up as R6400v2 (as expected, based on info above)

Then flashed KONG's latest build for the R6400 http://desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-Arm/dd-wrt.K3_R6400.chk, which as of now is v3.0-r36070M (05/31/1Cool.

It now shows up as R7000P, and has a 48MB jffs2 partition for local storage, and 128K of NVRAM.

Now I just wonder when it comes time to update it again do I continue to use the R6400 firmware or use the R7000P firmware file from <Kong> as they are different sizes.

Appears to still be able to do the theoretical speeds of 450 and 1300mbps when looking at wireless rate information.
Even with SFE enabled it is still slower than my 1900DHP (comparing wired connections)

LEDs seem a bit wonky (5GHz light not lit, power light stays red/amber)
Figured out a few gpio commands to correct the LEDs somewhat (make it cosmetically pretty)

Decided to turn on these LEDs: 5GHz, Guest, USB3 and the 2 on the end that I don't recall what they mean and correct the power LED to white.

I entered the following in as a startup script for ddwrt:

Code:
gpio disable 1
gpio disable 8
gpio disable 12
gpio disable 13
gpio enable 2
gpio enable 11
gpio enable 10

WNDR-3400 - retired to its box for several years
Sponsor
roeboat
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Ludacris

Is your R6700v3 running okay with this flash? I tried flashing it in much the same way as you, with a unit I picked up on an Amazon sale. I could flash it to 35030 pretty uneventfully, but it won't flash 36070. The flash says it is successful, but it never installs.

Are you sure you are getting the 5ghz band? With this flash, I notice that the 5ghz radio is not working. I get no wifi setup for the 5ghz. Is this maybe why your 5ghz LED was out? Oth, do you know of a command to turn on the 5ghz radio?
ludacrisvp
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 13:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
Is your R6700v3 running okay with this flash?

Indeed it is, no issues to report.

Did you do a full nvram wipe after flashing kong's build?
I recommend you do that if you didn't.

Code:
nvram erase ; nvram commit ; reboot

Note that when I did this the reboot took considerably longer to complete than normal, which is expected.

Quote:
I could flash it to 35030 pretty uneventfully, but it won't flash 36070. The flash says it is successful, but it never installs.

I went directly from the really old build from my open router to the 36070 build from kong, so I'm not sure why you're having an issue going from one version to the next one.

Are both of the ones you are using Kong builds?
Which file are you attempting to upgrade using if it is kong?
I believe that once you are on kong's builds for this unit you want to use "dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC_ARM_STD.bin" the netgear specific builds with the .chk extension are just for flashing to dd-wrt, not for upgrades.
Maybe this will relate to what you are seeing, maybe not.

Quote:
Are you sure you are getting the 5ghz band?

Yes, 5Ghz works without issue, just had to choose some channels and set the WPA2 AES password for both bands.

Quote:
I get no wifi setup for the 5ghz. Is this maybe why your 5ghz LED was out?

When you say no wifi setup, do you mean you don't see the 5Ghz band in the interface? as in you can't tell it what channels to use or set the SSID for it?

Quote:
Oth, do you know of a command to turn on the 5ghz radio?

From Kong:
<Kong> wrote:
The correct way to start and stop services e.g. wireless:

For radio 0:
Code:
startservice radio_off_0
startservice radio_on_0

For radio 1:
Code:
startservice radio_off_1
startservice radio_on_1

WNDR-3400 - retired to its box for several years
roeboat
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:

Did you do a full nvram wipe after flashing kong's build?
I recommend you do that if you didn't.

No, I did not. I will do this.

Quote:

Yes, both are Kong builds.

Quote:

When you say no wifi setup, do you mean you don't see the 5Ghz band in the interface? as in you can't tell it what channels to use or set the SSID for it?

Yes, correct. No tab to set up the 5Ghz in the interface, only the 2.4Ghz.

Quote:
Which file are you attempting to upgrade using if it is kong?
I believe that once you are on kong's builds for this unit you want to use "dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC_ARM_STD.bin" the netgear specific builds with the .chk extension are just for flashing to dd-wrt, not for upgrades.
Maybe this will relate to what you are seeing, maybe not.

I am using a Kong build but it is a .chk extension. On Kong's site, I didn't see a specific .bin for the 6400v2, so I wasn't sure if I should use anything else. I see you used the http://desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-Arm/dd-wrt.K3_R6400.chk build, so I will try the nvram erase and reboot first.

Thanks!
roeboat
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Ludacris

Re-reading your post and perusing Kong's website, I found the .bin file(dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC_ARM_STD.bin), flashed it, and now the router is on 36070M.

The 5ghz radio setup still doesn't appear in the webif. From SSH, I tried stopping and starting both radios and it didn't seem to make any difference.

Thanks.
roeboat
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 14:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Ludacris

This morning, I did an nvram erase/nvram commit/reboot to the router and tried executing the startservice for the radios again. Before, I got no response. This time, I get the following:

Code:
root@DD-WRT:~# startservice radio_on_0
radio_on(0) interface: eth1
root@DD-WRT:~# startservice radio_on_1
get_wl_instance doesnt return the right value 1
radio_on(1) interface: eth1

Any ideas? Is this possibly a bad 5Ghz radio? I never checked the radios under the original firmware, so I don't know if the dd-wrt firmware is the problem or not. Thanks for all your help.
roeboat
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 15:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Ludacris

I've added the screen image as an attachment here to confirm what I see in the webif.
roeboat
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 17:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Ludacris

To follow up, I tried to reinstall the Netgear firmware to rule out dd-wrt as the problem. Like many others have experienced, it failed to load. So I returned the router for replacement but I'll probably wait a while before I try installing dd-wrt on the new one again. Many thanks.

Netgear R6400 - r36070M kongac
Linksys E3000 - 35531 (BS)
WRT54G - retired
roeboat
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 20:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Ludacris

I received the replacement router. I got brave and installed DD-WRT and am now running it Kong 36070. Everything seems to be running well including 5Ghz. I can only surmise I had a bad router before, but who knows. Now what's our upgrade path after this? Smile

Nothing else seems wonky so far.

Oh, I'm now trying the startup script for the LEDs; do you just drop it in the Commands/Startup (with no ";" between commands? Thanks.

Netgear R6700v3 - r36070M kongac
Netgear R6400 - r36070M kongac
Linksys E3000 - 35531 (BS)
WRT54G - retired
doctorpangloss
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 19:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
These instructions worked great for me for installing dd-wrt on the R6700v3.

About a month in, I'll comment that the following settings resulted in the best performance for me:

In Setup / IPV6:
- Enabled with type DHCPv6 with Prefix Delegation.
- Radvd is enabled, everything else disabled.

Those settings for IPV6 should work for 99% of ISPs that support it.

In Wireless / Basic Settings:
- 2.4 GHz was auto channel, 20 MHz width.
- 5 GHz with Wide HT40 width, extension channel lower. NitroQAM, Explicit Beamforming, Implicit Beamforming enabled.

These settings work best for my network of macOS, iPhone and Sonos devices. Everything else seemed to cause the Macs to prefer the 2.4 GHz to 5 GHz because the RSSI was unusually lower in 5 than in 2.4.

In NAT QOS / QoS:
- Packet scheduler HTB, Queueing Discipline FQ_CODEL, downlink is 85% of my rated download speed on a WISP, uplink is 80%. All small packets checked.

This should get you an A+ rating in DSLReport's Speed Test tool's buffer bloat. It results in a noticeable improvement in general browsing latency.

I regularly play Counter Strike on wireless and these settings are a big improvement on wireless over the 2013 era AirPort I used.

If you have a 1 gigabit home connection, you'll have to sacrifice QoS and enable Shortcut Forwarding Engine in Basic Setup.
wonderrx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:06    Post subject: 5ghz Radio Not Working Reply with quote
First off thanks so much Ludacris and RoeBoat for your great comments in this thread!

I followed Ludacris steps exactly to load Kong's ddwrt and had no issues upgrading the unit with the files he linked to, but I have no 5ghz radio working now that I am done.

I've tried a few resets, I've tried to flash the current builds for the 6400v2 and also the 7000.

Tried to flash back to the current Netgear firmware,

No dice on all fronts. Router through all of those continues to say

Router ModelNetgear R7000P
Firmware Version DD-WRT v3.0-r36070M kongac (05/31/1Cool

I've been running with DD WRT since the very earliest days 10+ years ago. But this no 5ghz (and it's also feeling like the 2.4ghz is very weak in power) has me stumped.

It's a recent Amazon purchase, so I guess in theory I can return it, but it'll be pretty obvious to anyone who ever powered it on that it's had ddwrt put on it if I can put it back to how it was.

I did not try the stock firmware to see if the 5ghz was working before I took it to ddwrt.

Thanks in advance for any help!
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
You probably have got the same problem as some of the R6400v2 users.
The router is misidentified as a R7000P which has different 5 GHz hardware.

Kong has corrected this in his build from yesterday evening for the R6400v2 see : https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=316399

See the last posts in that thread regarding his support for the R6700v3 (not there yet)
nolimitz
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
egc wrote:
You probably have got the same problem as some of the R6400v2 users.
The router is misidentified as a R7000P which has different 5 GHz hardware.

Kong has corrected this in his build from yesterday evening for the R6400v2 see : https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=316399

See the last posts in that thread regarding his support for the R6700v3 (not there yet)

Maybe someone with a R6700V3 can pm Kong required dumps to compare, difference might be board id only and that should be easy, good luck guys. Wikidevi shows both routers having the same FCC ID:

https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Netgear_R6700v3

Seems to me that nergear gave up on R6700v2 with mediatek and i do respect that. Makes me love netgear more.
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kong posted a test version for the R6700v3.
I have not heard from him so use at your own risk, be sure to have access to serial for debricking.
I have uploaded a special file for going back to stock in the R 6400v3 Install guide as that is an identical router (but routers differ in boardid and R6700v3 has a detachable antenna)

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
networkMD
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:47    Post subject: KONG and Forum Thank you: iPhone USB teathering Reply with quote
I just purchased a Netgear R6700V3 and installed Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r37015M kongac (09/23/1Cool and now using my iphone with unlimited USB tether receiving the best throughput ever. I live in a rural area in Indiana that has no other internet. The install was very smooth thanks to the great info on this board and Kong. Thank you
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: