WRT32X DD-WRT Installation Procedure

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Zirglobx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 18:56    Post subject: Re: WRT32X DD-WRT Installation Procedure Reply with quote
spuriousoffspring wrote:
Within are two files as always:
FW_WRT32X_1.0.666_DDWRT.img
ddwrt-linksys-wrt32x-webflash.bin

This means that it is not necessary to use the Hard Reset technique (30/30/30) to install DD Wrt on the WRT32X? If so, I am rather pleasantly surprised but to choose, which version is better? The build r37837 or r37305 ?
Sponsor
Aescleal
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 19:00    Post subject: Re: WRT32X DD-WRT Installation Procedure Reply with quote
Zirglobx wrote:
spuriousoffspring wrote:
Within are two files as always:
FW_WRT32X_1.0.666_DDWRT.img
ddwrt-linksys-wrt32x-webflash.bin

This means that it is not necessary to use the Hard Reset technique (30/30/30) to install DD Wrt on the WRT32X? If so, I am rather pleasantly surprised but to choose, which version is better? The build r37837 or r37305 ?

Is there a list of what does and does not work on the wrt32x after webflashed? I've never owned a DD-WRT router before now, and I'm apprehensive to install and not have things working smoothly. Is this not for me? Or can even I make it work? I'm a quick study, but will I have errors and daily issues with the router with dd-wrt on this 32x?
Thanks for advice.

EDIT: Looking Here: ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2018/12-04-2018-r37908/linksys-wrt32x/ What does it mean that the version has NOT changed (still 1.0.666) but the Date Modified is 12/4/2018? Thats 2 days ago as of this post update. The version hasn't changed but the date has? Does that still mean that fixes were added to the patch? And if so, how do I find out what changes were made? Is there a change log some place? My house is full of iOS devices, so it's home network suicide if I install a dd-wrt image that drops iOS wireless devices all over the place.
Very Happy
Luisfer153cr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 20:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm a newbie, I really hate the stock firmware, but it's scary to install DDWRT because I do not know what features are working and which ones are not, I also see the manuals that are there and I do not understand very well how to return to Stock.

Why do not you create a video Tutorial on how to install DD WRT and how to get back to Stock, there is not a single one on YouTube?
Aescleal
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 13:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Luisfer153cr wrote:
I'm a newbie, I really hate the stock firmware, but it's scary to install DDWRT because I do not know what features are working and which ones are not, I also see the manuals that are there and I do not understand very well how to return to Stock.

Why do not you create a video Tutorial on how to install DD WRT and how to get back to Stock, there is not a single one on YouTube?

I agree, I really don't like the stock firmware either. I've always liked Linksys routers, and thought the 32X was essentially the 3200 with a specialty firmware, and could be flashed the same as it's blue counterpart.
I got it on a great sale, so didn't think twice.
So now I wait and hope for great thing...
Luisfer153cr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Aescleal wrote:
Luisfer153cr wrote:

I agree, I really don't like the stock firmware either. I've always liked Linksys routers, and thought the 32X was essentially the 3200 with a specialty firmware, and could be flashed the same as it's blue counterpart.
I got it on a great sale, so didn't think twice.
So now I wait and hope for great thing...

I happened exactly the same, I got it in a great offer at the moment and I just thought "this obviously is compatible with DDWRT and I bought it, the surprise was when I got home ready to Flash to see that DDWRT firmware is hardly in development, I read that there is many failures and very little information, I really hope some hero to collaborate with a video on the YouTube platform.
Yemble
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Great thread, since the installation for the WRT32X is notably different from all other Linksys WRT series routers.

Besides, there may soon be a lot of these routers out in the field since the price is so (relatively) low on Amazon.

As others have also noted, I too was expecting to be using the WRT3200ACM DD-WRT flashes, so was suprised to discover that the WRT32X installation is so radically different.

On my old WRT1900AC v1, I only ever use the WebFlash method to upgrade DD-WRT, as I never have any need to return to stock. Luckily, DD-WRT on the WRT32X can also be updated via WebFlash, once it has successfully been upgraded from stock. So I should be OK, going forwards Wink

My WRT32X should be delivered today (04/01/2019) !

*** EDIT ***
DD-WRT r38159 installed successfully, after a few manual reboots. One tip to note though... IF you plan to change the user name from root to something else, then do it on the first logon to DD-WRT. DO NOT leave it until later, otherwise you may not be able to logon at all with either user name, as I discovered to my cost!

Firmware: ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2021/
Aescleal
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 14:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yemble wrote:

On my old WRT1900AC v1, I only ever use the WebFlash method to upgrade DD-WRT, as I never have any need to return to stock. Luckily, DD-WRT on the WRT32X can also be updated via WebFlash, once it has successfully been upgraded from stock. So I should be OK, going forwards Wink

*** EDIT ***
DD-WRT r38159 installed successfully, after a few manual reboots. One tip to note though... IF you plan to change the user name from root to something else, then do it on the first logon to DD-WRT. DO NOT leave it until later, otherwise you may not be able to logon at all with either user name, as I discovered to my cost!

Hi Yemble,
What works and doesn't work after you set up DD-WRT? I read that Apple phones and tablets experience wifi drops and some lights don't work. Do you find this to be the case, and what else is problematic?
We're simple users, but we have iPhones and iPads and probably 15 or more devices total including computers and streamers (Apple TV's).
I had hoped to have working VPN client set up on router, and be able to monitor and manage useage. However, I won't upgrade if I'm not confident it will work.
I have no backup router to use if this fails to meet our needs. And if there is no simple and reliable way back to stock firmware, then I'll wait.
Yemble
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 15:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Aescleal wrote:
Yemble wrote:

*** EDIT ***

Hi Yemble,
What works and doesn't work after you set up DD-WRT? I read that Apple phones and tablets experience wifi drops and some lights don't work. Do you find this to be the case, and what else is problematic?
We're simple users, but we have iPhones and iPads and probably 15 or more devices total including computers and streamers (Apple TV's).
I had hoped to have working VPN client set up on router, and be able to monitor and manage useage. However, I won't upgrade if I'm not confident it will work.
I have no backup router to use if this fails to meet our needs. And if there is no simple and reliable way back to stock firmware, then I'll wait.

Ha, sorry, my house is an Apple free zone!

All my Android devices work perfectly as do my Windows 10 laptops. All my wired devices work too, including several PCs and two NAS devices. Both LAN and WAN throughput is better than with my WRT1900AC v1. From what I can measure, I am getting my full 200Mbps ISP WAN service.

WiFi is perfectly stable and all LEDs appear to work correctly. I cannot find any fault with the r38159 build Very Happy

As for VPN, I don't use it directly on the router itself, however, I have been connected, through the WRT32X, to work all day via a Windows VPN client, without any downtime.

Note that the route back to stock is tricky with this router, however, this is not a concern for me.

StanchoBS
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 13:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can i use Killer priority with dd-wrt to my 32X ?
Or this firmware its just the same as 3200ACM ?
Yemble
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
StanchoBS wrote:
Can i use Killer priority with dd-wrt to my 32X ?
Or this firmware its just the same as 3200ACM ?

Ask yourself, what is Killer prioritisation, really?

Bare in mind that, other than the NAND chip, the WRT32X hardware is identical to that of the WRT3200ACM. There is no magic "Killer" chip, it is all done in software, probably using some advanced QOS techniques, not available in the standard Linksys WRT3200ACM firmware.

Note that it is this different NAND chip that necessitates a different DD-WRT installation image (and method) for the WRT32X compared to the WRT3200ACM.

DD-WRT is not the same as standard Linksys firmware. If the hardware can technically support a feature, then it will most likely be implemented in DD-WRT. Advanced QOS is a good example and so it is more than likely that you can achieve a similar effect to Killer using DD-WRT QOS.

Ref: https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=304086&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=2340

Besides, to use Killer, it has to be implemented on the client devices as well as the router. Do you have such client devices?

JoseDKZ
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello everyone, I have not been here for a while and it seems that some things have changed since my last visit.

I would like to know if it is already possible to update DDWRT in a more or less simple way without losing the Stock firmware

Currently with the stock firmware if I enter by SSH and put the command

Code:
ubootenv get boot_part

it tells me that...:

Code:
root @ Bender: ~ # ubootenv get boot_part
-ash: ubootenv: not found

...So I can not see which partition is the one that is active, is it necessary for the first installation of DDWRT to change the active partition?

This is all for now, although I have more questions.

Thanks
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 14:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
The stock firmware uses different commands.

fw_printenv boot_part

The above command will return a value of 1 or 2; this will be your current active partition.

You can switch partitions with the following command.

fw_setenv boot_part 1

or

fw_setenv boot_part 2

The next time you reboot it will boot from your selected partition.

I am guessing you haven't done any flashing yet? This thread already explains how to retain stock firmware on one of the two partitions.
JoseDKZ
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 14:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
No, I have not done it yet, and I would like to do it, but it is not clear to me if I have to select the partition before installing it or the first flash does not have to be done, despite the first post the information is not entirely clear ( less for me) if I decide to keep the stock fw. Can anyone make a step by step fools like me?
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 18:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
I recommend having a portable version of Firefox (or Waterfox, or Pale Moon) available to use for flashing. This will provide an isolated environment contained in a single folder, free from your daily browsing configuration and add-ons. In options please disable anything that could potentially interfere: when starting show a blank page, disable search suggestions, never remember history (or use clear all history, or use private browsing mode), do not remember logins for sites (autofill, usernames, passwords), do not check spelling, never check for updates.

Always flash with an Ethernet cable connected to a LAN port on the router. Disable any wireless adapters on your computer to make sure the flash goes through the cable. Disconnect from the internet (unplug WAN cable from your router) and then disable any anti-virus, anti-malware, security and firewalls you may have. Reboot and make sure it's still all off.

Before flashing, it's good to return the router to its factory configuration or at very least a recent reboot.

The stock Venom firmware commands I gave you are just if you are curious as to which partition you are currently on. Out of the box, they should both have the same stock firmware version installed. If you bought a used WRT32X (or open box, or a return) you may want to boot into each partition first to verify what's currently on there.

The first thing you should always understand when you are performing a flash upgrade, by default it writes your selected build image to the opposite inactive partition.

After a successful flash, and eventual automatic reboot, you will be up and running on the opposite (now active) partition.

FW_WRT32X_1.0.666_DDWRT.img is a minimalist DD-WRT build designed specifically to flash upgrade from the stock Linksys Venom web interface. Once you are up and running on this image, you will still have stock Venom firmware on the other partition (the one you first flashed from).

From this point you will have the choice to upgrade to the full size build using the ddwrt-linksys-wrt32x-webflash.bin image. Keep in mind, this build is designed to be flashed from DD-WRT's web interface only!

Remember, as usual, flashing the full size build from DD-WRT's web GUI will overwrite the opposite inactive partition containing your stock firmware!

This is where a few Telnet/SSH commands become absolutely necessary. With PuTTY log into your router with telnet or ssh 192.168.1.1 with username root and the default password will be admin (you will not see the password as you type it).

The first command below will tell you which partition you are currently using; at the end it will return a value of 1 or 2.

ubootenv get boot_part

With this value now known, set the opposite value with the command below. The example below assumes the above command returned a value of 2.

ubootenv set boot_part 1 (Again, this is an example command! Set the opposite value based on the result you received from the first command!)

DO NOT REBOOT; DO NOT REBOOT; DO NOT REBOOT.

Now that the opposite boot partition has been set, it is now safe to flash the full size image from DD-WRT's web interface as it will retain your stock firmware partition (and overwrite the minimalist DD-WRT partition).

With any flash upgrade be patient! When you begin the flash, wait 10 minutes before thinking about trying anything.

I highly recommend you read or re-read the stickies below. You also have the wiki and links to the recent betas.

Sticky: DD-WRT Installation, Upgrade & Basic Setup–Cliff Notes

Sticky: WRT32X DD-WRT Installation Procedure

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2019/02-06-2019-r38581/linksys-wrt32x/

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2019/

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2019/

Last edited by blkt on Wed Feb 13, 2019 20:56; edited 1 time in total
JoseDKZ
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 20:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am impressed, thank you very much for the effort and the time dedicated for me to understand it, it has been quite clear, I will aim to never forget the partition where the stock is to never touch it, each compilation or update of DDWRT beta before I have to make sure it is in the correct partition.

Tomorrow I'll get to work.

By the way, that there is truth about what is said that does not go well with iPone (Apple in general)

I just tried the command in the stock firmware and this is what has returned me:
Code:
root@Bender:~# fw_printenv boot_part
boot_part=2

That is, when you install the minimized image of DDWRT it will be installed in partition 1 and once installed, re-select through SSH partition 2 so that when you put the large image back to install in 1

@Yemble @blkt One more thing, could someone upload a screenshot with the Wifi parameters to the forum? to get an idea of ​​how to configure it, I would like the most similar to sotock, ie a Normal network and another 5G since I have smart bulbs and video cameras connected and these devices do not support 5G
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 5
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: