openvpn working - but no access to local network

nachumk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 16:08    Post subject: openvpn working - but no access to local network Reply with quote
DDWRT build 36006
Hi, I have openvpn authenticating and connecting, but I am lost in the routing and firewalls.
My home network is 192.168.1.0/24. When I connect via OpenVPN I get address 192.168.11.2 - so that seems OK. I am also connecting from an external network in my tests (mobile).

I would like to be able to access home resources remotely. I don't care if it's bridging or tunneling except I understand tunneling is less load on the network. So I have it setup as tunneling.

I can't make sense of whether I need to push a route, or whether I need to add special iptables rules. Please let me know what commands to add.

Thanks.

openvpn conf:
root@DD-WRT:~# cat /tmp/openvpn/openvpn.conf
dh /tmp/openvpn/dh.pem
ca /tmp/openvpn/ca.crt
cert /tmp/openvpn/cert.pem
key /tmp/openvpn/key.pem
keepalive 10 120
verb 3
mute 3
syslog
writepid /var/run/openvpnd.pid
management 127.0.0.1 14
management-log-cache 100
topology subnet
script-security 2
port 1194
proto udp4
cipher aes-256-cbc
auth sha256
client-connect /tmp/openvpn/clcon.sh
client-disconnect /tmp/openvpn/cldiscon.sh
client-config-dir /tmp/openvpn/ccd
comp-lzo adaptive
tls-server
ifconfig-pool-persist /tmp/openvpn/ip-pool 86400
client-to-client
tls-cipher TLS-DHE-RSA-WITH-AES-256-GCM-SHA384
fast-io
tun-mtu 1500
mtu-disc yes
server 192.168.11.0 255.255.255.0
dev tun2
tls-auth /tmp/openvpn/ta.key 0
Sponsor
nachumk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 16:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Done. The route is added, but I still have no access to the internal network. Is there an iptables command required as well?

PING 192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.1): 56 data bytes
Request timeout for icmp_seq 0
Request timeout for icmp_seq 1

And I can't connect to the router either.
nachumk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 19:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
eibgrad wrote:
Make sure the local network used by the mobile device is NOT also using 192.168.1.0/24. Because if it is, then the client will never route traffic to 192.168.1.0/24 over the tunnel since it considers it local.

That's why using 192.168.1.0/24 or 192.168.0.0/24 for your home network are NOT good choices if you intend to use your own OpenVPN server for remote access. Being so common, there's just too much risk of a network collision. Better to use something more obscure at home (e.g., 10.87.13.0/24).

The IP address from my mobile broadband is in the range of:
172.20.10.2/28

Anything else I should check?
nachumk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 19:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
eibgrad wrote:
Another common problem is failing to NAT the tunnel on the OpenVPN client. When using dd-wrt (and probably other routers as well) for the OpenVPN client, you need to enable this option explicitly. On other platforms (Windows, Mac, mobile devices, etc.), this is *usually* done automatically, although there may be exceptions. And, of course, I can't speak for every possible platform that might be out there.

I don't see an option on DDWRT OpenVPN for enabling NAT. Is this the type of thing I should write iptables rules with?
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 19:11    Post subject: Re: openvpn working - but no access to local network Reply with quote
nachumk wrote:

192.168.11.0 is a network. The server should have a node address 192.168.11.1
nachumk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 19:37    Post subject: Re: openvpn working - but no access to local network Reply with quote
Per Yngve Berg wrote:
nachumk wrote:

192.168.11.0 is a network. The server should have a node address 192.168.11.1

With 192.168.11.1, I get this error when trying to connect:
Jun 17 19:32:18 DD-WRT daemon.err openvpn[6469]: Options error: --server directive network/netmask combination is invalid
nachumk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 19:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
eibgrad wrote:
nachumk wrote:
eibgrad wrote:
Another common problem is failing to NAT the tunnel on the OpenVPN client. When using dd-wrt (and probably other routers as well) for the OpenVPN client, you need to enable this option explicitly. On other platforms (Windows, Mac, mobile devices, etc.), this is *usually* done automatically, although there may be exceptions. And, of course, I can't speak for every possible platform that might be out there.

I don't see an option on DDWRT OpenVPN for enabling NAT. Is this the type of thing I should write iptables rules with?

If you're using a dd-wrt OpenVPN client, it's under the Advanced Options.

Do I need to enable NAT for the OpenVPN server on DDWRT? The router runs the server, my MacBook runs the client. Should I enable NAT in the client?
nachumk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 19:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
eibgrad wrote:
nachumk wrote:
Do I need to enable NAT for the OpenVPN server on DDWRT? The router runs the server, my MacBook runs the client. Should I enable NAT in the client?

No. That's why I keep qualifying my response to the issue of NAT w/ the OpenVPN *client*! Some OpenVPN clients might expose this as an option, others may hide it and do it automatically. Just depends on the platform.

OK, yes, I see that you mention enabling NAT on the client. I can't find any option for that, so I'm searching. I'm using MacOS Tunnelblick. I see nothing in the OpenVPN documentation regarding a nat option in the client config file. I'll keep searching.
nachumk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 20:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
eibgrad wrote:
P.S. NAT'ing the tunnel is really only necessary if you're using the OpenVPN client as a gateway. IOW, once the OpenVPN client is connected, you configure that device to allow other devices on the same LAN (as the OpenVPN client) to use it as a gateway to access the tunnel and remote network (ala the dd-wrt router's OpenVPN client). If it's just a simple OpenVPN client and that's the *only* device accessing the remote LAN over the OpenVPN server, then it *isn't* a requirement.

Then I shouldn't need NAT on the client. I am just trying to access my internal network from the 1 machine running the OpenVPN client.

But I still can't get through. This is very frustrating. Are there other logs I can provide?
nachumk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 20:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
eibgrad wrote:
If the problems persist, then post the openvpn client and server logs (make sure you're actively attempting to use the connection at the time). There might be a clue in there.

Here's the server log
nachumk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 20:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
nachumk wrote:
eibgrad wrote:
If the problems persist, then post the openvpn client and server logs (make sure you're actively attempting to use the connection at the time). There might be a clue in there.

Here's the server log

And the client log
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 20:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
WARNING: 'comp-lzo' is present in remote config but missing in local config, remote='comp-lzo'
nachumk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 20:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
eibgrad wrote:
Per Yngve Berg wrote:
WARNING: 'comp-lzo' is present in remote config but missing in local config, remote='comp-lzo'

That's a common problem. If the client and server are out of sync wrt this setting, they can't communicate, even if everything else appears normal. That's why it's important to see the logs!

Yep, it just started working!!!! Thank you both!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: