Success on installing DD-WRT to WRT32X w/o USB TTL cable

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Skoda Zek
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Holy shit I did it and it worked!

Thought i bricked my router but now I got Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r36104 std (06/10/1Cool running on my WRT32x.

Althought the front lights are messed up. the Wifi lights dont turn on at all, the Esata light is solid, and the internet light doesnt turn on.

Solid power, Solid esata, and active Wired lights.

Update: Wifi lights working now, but Internet light still inactive, and Esata light still solid (nothing in esata port)
Sponsor
Skoda Zek
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
at first i had some issues with loosing connection to router, kinda like little hickups, but after doing a full router reboot triggered from dd-wrt firmware it seems that has cleared up.

Managed 100mbit behind AES-256 CBC with 512 encrypt (ExpressVPN).

Im am very very pleased with that!!

Now I just need to figure out how to make it so that I can choose which mac addresses/devices are behind the vpn and what are not and be able to edit dns servers for each device. Kinda a newb with this stuff
spuriousoffspring
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
That's great! I'm glad you got it working. Mr. Green

I'm curious as to why it didn't work for me, but I'll save that for another time. I have my WRT32X running very well on OpenWRT and I'm about to flash my WRT1900AC v1 with the same firmware so I can set up WDS.

I'm still very interested in getting Brainslayer a WRT32X even though it's going much slower than I thought.

If anyone wants to make a donation for WRT32X DD-WRT development:
https://www.paypal.com/pools/c/84qvww5k00

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=315130

WRT32X DD-WRT Installation Procedure
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=315569

IPVanish OpenVPN Client Setup TUTORIAL
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=308565

FIRMWARE: OpenWrt SNAPSHOT r8217-2cc821e / LuCI Master (git-18.276.41146-280dd33)
MODEM: ARRIS SURFBoard SB8200
ROUTER: Linksys WRT32X
USB NAS: Western Digital BLACK 1 TB Hardrive + Startech USB 3.0 External SATA III Enclosure
Skoda Zek
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Only downside is it seams that while the openvpn is working, policy based routing is broken at least on build 36104.

Heard I can split the vpn using iptables, still not sure how to assign custom dns to specific ips/mac addresses at the router level in dd-wrt yet though.
Skoda Zek
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Another thought I had is now that I have DD-WRT on here, I can potentially flash anything I want (with some risk).

Have strongly considered flashing:
expressvpn-linksys-wrt3200acm-v1.5.3.img
with the DD-WRT firmware, I don't see why it wouldn't work. The Hardware in the WRT32x and the WRT3200ACM are identical. In fact the FCC ID of the WRT32x is Q87-WRT3200ACM...

Thoughts?
Skoda Zek
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, do not do what I just did and flash the expressvpn firmware for wrt3200acm with dd-wrt.

I just bricked my new WRT32x. Thankfully I purchased it through amazon who does exchanges no questions asked. I'll have replacement likely be end of this week.

But just wanted to warn people who are stupid as I am because they can't figure out how to properly split a vpn and assign custom dns to individual devices through iptables. Dont flash firmware that is not intended for the wrt32x even if the hardware does match Wink
true_devil
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:03    Post subject: What method did you use? Reply with quote
Skoda Zek wrote:

Thought i bricked my router but now I got Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r36104 std (06/10/1Cool running on my WRT32x.

Althought the front lights are messed up. the Wifi lights dont turn on at all, the Esata light is solid, and the internet light doesnt turn on.

Update: Wifi lights working now, but Internet light still inactive, and Esata light still solid (nothing in esata port)

Hey, been reading so many posts but can't figure out best way to get DD-WRT on my WRT32x. What method did you use?
true_devil
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:09    Post subject: Amazon UK OFFER Reply with quote
spuriousoffspring wrote:
That's great! I'm glad you got it working. Mr. Green

I'm curious as to why it didn't work for me, but I'll save that for another time. I have my WRT32X running very well on OpenWRT and I'm about to flash my WRT1900AC v1 with the same firmware so I can set up WDS.

I'm still very interested in getting Brainslayer a WRT32X even though it's going much slower than I thought.

If anyone wants to make a donation for WRT32X DD-WRT development:
https://www.paypal.com/pools/c/84qvww5k00

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=315130

Right now the WRT32X is just £99 on amazon UK!
Skoda Zek
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
will the "3x power switch back to alternate partition" allow me to unbrick my WRT32x?

Currently when I power it on the power LED flashes indefinitely and I cannot access the device via ssh or web firmware.

If this 3x power switch can potentially fix it, please tell me how to do this.

I do not have serial cable though
spuriousoffspring
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Power switch: turn off then right back on
As soon as the power led comes on, turn off
Turn right back on
As soon as power led comes on, turn off
Turn back on and leave on

Should boot into opposite partition unless it's soft-bricked. Then you would need a serial cable.

WRT32X DD-WRT Installation Procedure
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=315569

IPVanish OpenVPN Client Setup TUTORIAL
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=308565

FIRMWARE: OpenWrt SNAPSHOT r8217-2cc821e / LuCI Master (git-18.276.41146-280dd33)
MODEM: ARRIS SURFBoard SB8200
ROUTER: Linksys WRT32X
USB NAS: Western Digital BLACK 1 TB Hardrive + Startech USB 3.0 External SATA III Enclosure
Skoda Zek
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 13:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wow, amazingly my router unbricked itself and reverted back to the DD-WRT simply by being unplugged for a few hours.

Anyhow so I got my DD-WRT settings and OpenVPN client all back to working great.

I made one unfortunate discovery. Policy Based Routing is broken. So I really need some help from you guys if your willing.

I need to find a way to split my vpn and assign custom dns servers to a few devices.

I can do either by specifying a set static ip for device to be behind vpn or not behind vpn, whichever is easier. I need 3 devices to operate outside of the vpn, and those same 3 devices to have custom dns which is not configurable on the devices themselves thus the dns needs to be specified/controlled by the router.

My network has 22 devices total, all can be behind vpn except 3, and those same 3 need special dns.

If I can manage this then everything is done and perfect and I need not mess with my network anymore, but I really need some help with this. Since Policy Based Routing does not work, I cannot simply add 192.168.0.100/32 to the Policy Based Routing field under OpenVPN to set that ip to be behind the vpn. When putting even just that one line/ip into there it prevents any internet access for that ip.

I know there are other ways to achieve what I need to do, but they are much more complicated. I have been told I can do this all with iptables but I am a complete and total newb here in regards to all this stuff. It is sheere and total luck that I did not hard brick my router earlier as I had thought I did.

I have PuTTy ready to go if needed. You all have my utmost gratitude and thanks for the patience.
Skoda Zek
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 15:17    Post subject: Re: What method did you use? Reply with quote
true_devil wrote:
Skoda Zek wrote:

Hey, been reading so many posts but can't figure out best way to get DD-WRT on my WRT32x. What method did you use?

I followed the method in the first post of this thread. Except instead of scp I used wget to grab the latest firmware.img for WRT32x from Beta dd-wrt downloads, I also fw_setenv boot_part 2 before doing the sysupgrade.

Keep in mind that at first I thought I had bricked my router as it took a good 5 mins and then I think I power cycled a couple times and hit the reset button once. But in the end it worked.
Skoda Zek
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 15:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
to make it real simple and easy to follow this is EXACTLY what I did, just so you have lowest chances of bricking.

Used PuTTy to SSH to 192.168.1.1

this is exactly the commands I used and in exact order

root@OpenWrt:~# cd
root@OpenWrt:~# fw_printenv silent
silent=1
root@OpenWrt:~# fw_setenv silent
root@OpenWrt:~# fw_printenv silent
## Error: "silent" not defined
root@OpenWrt:~# wget https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2018/06-10-2018-r36104/linksys-wrt32x/FW_WRT32X_1.0.666_DDWRT.img
<Wait for Wget Download to complete 100%>
root@OpenWrt:~# fw_printenv boot_part
boot_part=1
root@OpenWrt:~# fw_setenv boot_part 2
root@OpenWrt:~# sysupgrade -i -n -v FW_WRT32X_1.0.666_DDWRT.img
Keep config files over reflash (y/N): N

A number of verboise terminal output will display such as killall etc, wait for it to say: "sysupgrade successful" and you can flip the power switch on the back of your WRT32x off and back on. (NOTE: I waited several minutes after the sysupgrade successful message came up before I did anything). At first I thought I had bricked it cause it took a long time to boot up and finally assign an ip to my PC. I power cycled the router several times and hit the reset button once before I just decided to let it boot up for several minutes and when I came back I was able to get a dd-wrt gui at 192.168.1.1

NOTE: The Internet LED and the ESATA Led are swapped for some reason. So the Internet LED Will not light up but the ESATA LED will when there is a WAN ip registered.

Hope this helps
markcorrado1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 17:54    Post subject: Re: Amazon UK OFFER Reply with quote
[quote="true_devil"]
spuriousoffspring wrote:

Right now the WRT32X is just £99 on amazon UK!

Does anyone know if the UK version will work in the US Question
Skoda Zek
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 18:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok so I have set static ips for the 3 devices I need to be direct internet and to not be behind the VPN.

Found this online that will apparently do this for me"

Quote:
echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/all/rp_filter
iptables -t mangle -F PREROUTING
ip route add default table 200 via $(nvram get wan_gateway)
ip rule add fwmark 1 table 200
ip route flush cache
iptables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i br0 -s 192.168.0.105 -j MARK --set-mark 1
iptables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i br0 -s 192.168.0.106 -j MARK --set-mark 1
iptables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i br0 -s 192.168.0.107 -j MARK --set-mark 1

Can someone confirm that this will work?

Also I have no idea what to do with these commands? where do I put this? how does it go into the router?

Also, even if this works, I still need to setup custom DNS for those same 3 IPs/Devices on the router. Is that done by iptables too?

Im literally begging for your guy's/gals's help here =)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 4 of 6
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: