Linksys WRT3200ACM

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Ratfink11
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 21:50    Post subject: Linksys WRT3200ACM Reply with quote
Hi Everyone,

I pray this isn't to foolish of a question. However searching endlessly on the Site and Forums I haven't been able to find all the answers to my questions so I wanted to ask here.

I just purchased a Linksys WRT3200ACM, All my past Routers have been Linksys. notably (Wrt54g's) and I have always flashed then with the latest DD-WRT files.

It looks like this is a fairly new build for these particular routers? I am wondering what eh differences are between the stock Linksys Firmware and DD-WRT for this router? Why would someone want to upgrade from the stock firmware to ddwrt?

I haven't been really able to find any feature set or explanations of the ddwrt for this router?

Just trying to figure out how stable the build is, if I lose any stock feature sets, and or why would I trade off losing features and install ddwrt... The information seems to be spread out far and wide so I wanted to make sure I have all the knowledge prior to flashing my router.

Thanks
Sponsor
LookingForMyMojo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 22:02    Post subject: Re: Linksys WRT3200ACM Reply with quote
Ratfink11 wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I pray this isn't to foolish of a question. However searching endlessly on the Site and Forums I haven't been able to find all the answers to my questions so I wanted to ask here.

I just purchased a Linksys WRT3200ACM, All my past Routers have been Linksys. notably (Wrt54g's) and I have always flashed then with the latest DD-WRT files.

It looks like this is a fairly new build for these particular routers? I am wondering what eh differences are between the stock Linksys Firmware and DD-WRT for this router? Why would someone want to upgrade from the stock firmware to ddwrt?

I haven't been really able to find any feature set or explanations of the ddwrt for this router?

Just trying to figure out how stable the build is, if I lose any stock feature sets, and or why would I trade off losing features and install ddwrt... The information seems to be spread out far and wide so I wanted to make sure I have all the knowledge prior to flashing my router.

Thanks

Search for wrt3200 and start reading

https://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=312142&highlight=ac86u
Ratfink11
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 22:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok?

As explained in my post. I was not able to find any feature set or info explaining what the differences are between the stock Linksys firmware and ddwrt.

Why would anyone want to change over to ddwrt? Is there a list of features that ddwrt has that the Linksys 3200 doesn't? what are those features?

Typing in 3200 isn't an answer and I had hoped I explained in the post that I had already done that. From your prior post you threw away your Linksys Routers because you couldn't get them working, and don't prefer them as a Router of choice?

The answer you provided me is not helpful. What is the point of the Forums if we are not able to ask questions for help or info? I would never answer a request for help like that.

Thanks
LookingForMyMojo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 22:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ratfink11 wrote:
Ok?

As explained in my post. I was not able to find any feature set or info explaining what the differences are between the stock Linksys firmware and ddwrt.

Why would anyone want to change over to ddwrt? Is there a list of features that ddwrt has that the Linksys 3200 doesn't? what are those features?

Typing in 3200 isn't an answer and I had hoped I explained in the post that I had already done that.

Thanks

Then read the links in my signature, if you have already, try ddwrt, if you dont like it, go back to factory. No one has the time to do what you are asking.

https://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=312142&highlight=ac86u
spuriousoffspring
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 23:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
The information you are asking for can not be put into a single post. You are asking for someone to condense years worth of knowledge in a reply.
Yes the information is spread out. Because there is so much.

My advice is to install DD-WRT and then go through each Tab, Sub Tab and Section one at a time. Some settings will be obvious while others are not. Each time you get to something you're unsure of - look it up.

This is the way I did it and believe me, you will learn quickly. Or you'll give up and go back to stock.

WRT32X DD-WRT Installation Procedure
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=315569

IPVanish OpenVPN Client Setup TUTORIAL
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=308565

FIRMWARE: OpenWrt SNAPSHOT r8217-2cc821e / LuCI Master (git-18.276.41146-280dd33)
MODEM: ARRIS SURFBoard SB8200
ROUTER: Linksys WRT32X
USB NAS: Western Digital BLACK 1 TB Hardrive + Startech USB 3.0 External SATA III Enclosure
doniNZ74
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 0:19    Post subject: Re: Linksys WRT3200ACM Reply with quote
Ratfink11 wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Thanks

I don't believe there is a single list anywhere. If you are an average Joe that just wants basic wifi in the house that works then probably no need to update to DD-WRT.

DD-WRT gives you options like setting the router up as a second router, setting up a new access point. Its also excellent if you have multiple hardware types from different manufacturers in your network. DD-WRT ensures better compatibility between these devices when they all running the same OS.

The features I love and use the most are:

- OpenVPN (available on some models anyway). But its more customisable with DD-WRT.
- Startup scripts
- firewall commands (running iptables CLI commands etc)
- more customisable WIfi configuration settings. (power levels, beacon intervals etc.). Very useful to be able to do this if you have multiple AP's under the same roof.
- NAT/QOS advances functions.
- Rflow traffic collector
- DDNS
- Multiple DHCP Servers
- MAC address management

Your Linksys 3200's best feature is that it runs DD-WRT.

My WRT1900ACv2 has now been serving me for more than 5years Smile Most reliable router I have ever owned!
ATHF
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 7:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
You could also look on flashrouters, just to get an idea. I mean you can do a lot more than they show, it's like a top ten... And then look through the FAQ at the end of it.

https://www.flashrouters.com/learn/router-basics/what-is-dd-wrt

Velop:2 WHW0101, RE6500, RE9000(AP)
Spectrum - 1000/50
SysLog Watcher 5, New security Onion box coming soon, Fingboxes, PiHoles, NEMS, Cacti, rpisurv
Ratfink11
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 18:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks all,
I do appreciate the info.
I was able to find a summary feature set and capabilities of the software.
I would assume the developers would know what they are doing. What they have done and where they want to go.
I was looking for the high level summary in order to understand if I needed to upgrade to ddwrt.
Thanks again for your time and efforts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: