ipsec forwarding over OpenVPN tunnel

Rezer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:37    Post subject: ipsec forwarding over OpenVPN tunnel Reply with quote
I've tried searching for this one, and since it's a very specific use case I'm having trouble finding information that pertains to my issue.

I have DD-WRT running an OpenVPN server so I can connect to it with my cell phone when I'm on one of those dodgy open wifi hotspots you might find at an airport or hotel or whatever. The connection works fine, however the one thing I've found that does not work is wifi calling (t-mobile specifically) with the VPN active. I suspect, and have done a small amount to verify that the issue is ipsec forwarding not working when connected to the router via the VPN tunnel (I have verified that ipsec forwarding being disabled also makes wifi calling fail).

My question is whether it is indeed the case that ipsec forwarding does not apply when connected to the router via a remote OpenVPN client, and if so is this the desired behavior or a bug?

I doubt it's terribly important in this case, but I have an Asus RT-AC68U running DD-WRT v3.0-r31899 std (04/24/17)
Sponsor
Rezer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 17:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
You're probably right d0ug, after doing some more fiddling I've verified that wifi calling does work when the phone connects to a wifi repeater that is acting as a VPN client connected to the VPN server hosted on my router. Either this is a failing of the OpenVPN software I'm using on my phone, or wifi calling is setup to avoid going over VPN software as you suggest.

Either way, this does not seem to be an issue with dd-wrt after all. Nothing to see here!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: