How to make DNS server same as IP address with OpenVPN?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Advanced Networking
eu-yj
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 5:17    Post subject: How to make DNS server same as IP address with OpenVPN? Reply with quote
Hi friends. I have been reading around this forum - thanks to everybody who contributed - but my networking knowledge is still in the "more questions than answers" stage.

I have OpenVPN client and DNSMasq running on my DD-WRT router, Kong's release v3.0 r35550M (03/28/18). It works well. When I test for leaks from a LAN client on my network by going to ipleak.net, browserleaks.com, or simialr no DNS leaks are reported and under "DNS server" I see only the DNS server of my VPN company (i.e. Static DNS 1 I put in the router setup). However, it is immediately apparent that I am using a VPN, especially if my chosen IP address is not in the same geographical region as the static DNS server.

How do I configure DNSMasq so that instead of showing my VPN company's DNS server it would show my own IP address?
Sponsor
eu-yj
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 21:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you eibgrad for your advice. Unfortunately I have been unable to make it work. Maybe I need to elaborate on what I am trying to accomplish. I am comparing OpenVPN client behaviour when it is installed locally on a Windows (or an iOS) device versus Kong's v3.0 r35550M on an R7000. I will use Nord VPN and ipleak.net to illustrate the difference. First the DD-WRT settings:

Setup > Basic Setup:
Quote:
Static DNS 1 = 103. 86. 96.100
Static DNS 2 = 103. 86. 99.100
Static DNS 3 = 208. 67.222.222

DHCP Type = DHCP Server
DHCP Server = Enable
Use DNSMasq for DHCP = x
Use DNSMasq for DNS = x
DHCP-Authoritative = x

Services > Services :
Quote:
DHCP Server:
Used Domain = LAN & WLAN

DNSMasq:
DNSMasq = x
Local DNS = x
No DNS Rebind = x
Query DNS in Strict Order = x

Now for the difference in behaviour. Suppose I am connected to a Nord VPN server through locally installed OpenVPN client (on a Windows or iOS machine). I visit ipleak.net: under "Your IP address" I see the IP address of the VPN server I am connected to, AND under "DNS Addresses - 1 server" I see the exact same IP address.

By contrast, if I am on a LAN machine connected to the same Nord VPN server through OpenVPN client on DD-WRT - under "You IP address" I see the same address as above, BUT under "DNS Addresses - 1 server" I see 103.86.96.100, i.e. the Static DNS 1 in the setup.

In both cases the VPN server is pushing the same DNS to OpenVPN client:
Quote:
PUSH: Received control message: 'PUSH_REPLY,redirect-gateway def1,sndbuf 524288,rcvbuf 524288,dhcp-option DNS 103.86.96.100,dhcp-option DNS 103.86.99.100,route-gateway 10.7.7.1,topology subnet,ping 60,ping-restart 180,ifconfig 10.7.7.180 255.255.255.0,peer-id 0,cipher AES-256-GCM'

If I follow your suggestion to add the code you wrote to Additional DNSMasq Options, where would I change the DNS server directives?

I am trying to configure the DD-WRT router in such a way that a LAN machine's DNS server would be the same as router's public IP address, while the router's DNS remain as they are.

I hope it does not look too confusing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: