[SOLVED] Netgear R8000 Firmware Not Compatible

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
a7mag3ddon
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 13:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
What date is on the squashedfs openwrt file because i also went down the route of trying to upgrade from within openwrt i was able to qget the file but the uograde command wpuldnt work.

Its good there is a workaround for this now, shame the squashedfs isnt compiked with the fixed luci though
Sponsor
ge0rgi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 13:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
A quick update, robert_juric’s instructions worked but there must be an issue with the Kong firmware that was flashed (K3-AC-ARM_31870_2017-04-16/dd-wrt.K3_R8000.chk) because the router cannot be provisioned by the internet provider. I can http to 192.168.1.1 and configure all of the bells and whistles except no internet connectivity. I was on the phone for an hour with customer support last night. They can see the cable modem, but the router just refuses to pull an IP number via DHCP.

So this thread should be open because it’s definitely NOT resolved. At this point, the router is bricked.
robert.juric
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 15:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yea the upgrade command using mtd write listed earlier in this thread doesn't work. However the 'sysupgrade' command worked for me.

I have had no issues with the dd-wrt image listed. However once you have any dd-wrt image installed and access to the gui it would be very easy to flash to another image if you want to try your luck.

ge0rgi, I'm going to ask some dumb questions, but bear with me. I don't mean to insult.

If you plug a laptop/pc up to the modem, will it pull a DHCP address?

Just to confirm you have an R8000, and not R8000P? Its very strange you had interfaces disabled by default. I'm assuming you were able to enable them if you're getting to the GUI.
ge0rgi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Your questions are not dumb. I was able to download and successfully flash the latest Kong firmware. The issue where the R8000 (definitely not R8000P) router doesn’t get provisioned by my ISP (Spectrum) persists.

My wan cable modem is not a router and is registered with Spectrum, so no possibility thar I have a router/bridge conflict.

Local LAN ports now work and LAN DHCP works.

Spoofed MAC address of my cable modem, but that didn’t work. At this point I’m at a loss of what could possibly be wrong. Do I need to ssh/telnet into the router and change any of the /etc files?
robert.juric
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 13:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's hard to say since I'm not sure what your modem settings are. I know my modem is setup for IP passthrough, which may be different from most.

I would verify your modem is handing out DHCP first by plugging up a laptop and see if it pulls a DHCP address. If your laptop pulls a DHCP address, make note of the IP address and gateway it gets assigned. You can use those values to define a static IP on your DDWRT WAN interface.

If it does I would maybe try rebooting the DDWRT router if you haven't already. Again depending on your modem settings you may have to reboot the modem first and then your ddwrt router.
ge0rgi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 15:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
So a quick update, just when I was about to flash back to Netgear’s firmware, the router started working and now I have internet.

One issue remains - for some reason, accessing the 192.168.1.1 configuration GUI doesn’t always work from a hardline browser. It would work ok, but after I click ‘Update” it would hang and start sending empty responses for at least 10 minutes after I refresh the browser page. If I use wifi, this issue is not observed - there’s no problem accessing the GUI after updating some configuration.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and is there a workaround, or is it a bug?

Thanks again for helping me out Robert.
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 15:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
ge0rgi wrote:
So a quick update, just when I was about to flash back to Netgear’s firmware, the router started working and now I have internet.

One issue remains - for some reason, accessing the 192.168.1.1 configuration GUI doesn’t always work from a hardline browser. It would work ok, but after I click ‘Update” it would hang and start sending empty responses for at least 10 minutes after I refresh the browser page. If I use wifi, this issue is not observed - there’s no problem accessing the GUI after updating some configuration.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and is there a workaround, or is it a bug?

Thanks again for helping me out Robert.

If you are using Chrome use something else, good old Internet explorer works best (although Firefox also works)

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
TV4Fun
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've had a similar issue to ge0rgi's with DD-WRT v3.0-r40559 std (08/06/19) and Comcast on my R8000. I did as robert.juric suggested and first flashed OpenWRT before upgrading to DD-WRT. That seemed to work the first time, but now every time I reboot the router, I have a hell of a time getting a new IP address. It gets set to 0.0.0.0 and DHCP just won't do anything. The only solution I've found is to set the WAN interface to a static IP in the cable modem web UI's subnetwork, mess with the cable modem for a bit, not actually do anything, just look at status pages, then set it back to Automatic Configuration with DHCP. This sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. I'm guessing the problem is with the DHCP service not properly saving state or otherwise getting messed up, and setting to static IP causes the service to get reset. I thought it might be because the router doesn't have a hardware clock and so doesn't have the correct system time before it can get an internet connection, but even manually setting the system time doesn't seem to fix it. Have Syslog and Klog available, but nothing immediately pops out as wrong that is DHCP related there, so not really sure what the problem is.
ge0rgi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:36    Post subject: My Fix Reply with quote
I Setup>Mac Address Cloned a working MAC address from an old router and it worked. It shouldn't work, because why would my cable modem care what the mac address is of the router connected to it.

Another bug I found is that after making any 2 configuration changes (especially wireless)and clicking "Apply", the R8000 freezes and has to be shutdown and restarted from the power switch. Kong can you fix this software bug? Also the documentation is not as good as it should be given the extensive amount of features.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:35    Post subject: Re: My Fix Reply with quote
ge0rgi wrote:
I Setup>Mac Address Cloned a working MAC address from an old router and it worked. It shouldn't work, because why would my cable modem care what the mac address is of the router connected to it.

Another bug I found is that after making any 2 configuration changes (especially wireless)and clicking "Apply", the R8000 freezes and has to be shutdown and restarted from the power switch. Kong can you fix this software bug? Also the documentation is not as good as it should be given the extensive amount of features.

<Kong> no longer develops DD-WRT builds. He has moved to OpenWRT.
TV4Fun
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 14:05    Post subject: Re: My Fix Reply with quote
ge0rgi wrote:

What brand is the cable modem you are connected to? If it is also Netgear, I'm wondering if, recognizing a Netgear MAC address from the router, it's using some non-standard networking extension that DD-WRT is unaware of, and this is what's causing the problems.
foz111
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 15:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
R8000 (NOT P) running latest stock R8000-V1.0.4.46_10.1.63

unable to flash r8000 BS factory to DD-WRT from gui

-1 error (like it was 6 month previously until BS sorted it).

so i opened up connected ttl
CFE> flash -noheader : nflash1.trx
Reading :: Done. 31522874 bytes read
Programming...done. 31522874 bytes written
*** command status = 0
CFE>

now from this point it appears to have flashed (any DD-WRT or older stock firmware)
if i type reboot from returned CFE> prompt or manually reboot it goes through the booting process put comes back to
Start TFTP server
Reading ::

I've tried typing save rather than reboot or manually reboot but returns to TFTP server listening prompt again,
the only firmware that reboots automatically and boots correctly after its finished programming is the latest stock Netgear
Am i missing something here or have Netgear changed something again in this version stopping either BS factory to ddwrt in gui & serial putty with flash -noheader : nflash1.trx commands?
Thanks for any input
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 16:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
I thought from serial recovery after you make it flash from tftp that way, you typed in "go"..... but after you had already done "nvram erase" prior to flashing via serial recovery:

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Serial_Recovery
foz111
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
thanks KP, i have flashed a few times tftpd & serial but completely forgot the 'go' part, i had ran the nvram erase commands but i will have another go, i am sure the go command will now write to nand.
Thanks bro

Last edited by foz111 on Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:51; edited 1 time in total
foz111
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
foz111 wrote:
thanks KP, i have flashed a few times tftpd & serial but completely forgot the 'go' part, i had ran the nvram erase commands but i will have another go, i am sure the go command will now write to nand.
Thanks bro

No that not worked either :

CFE> nvram erase
*** command status = 0
CFE> flash -noheader : flash1.trx
Reading :: Done. 25067578 bytes read
Programming...done. 25067578 bytes written
*** command status = 0
CFE> go
Checking crc...Invalid boot block on disk
Device eth0 has been deactivated.
Device eth0: hwaddr 3C-37-86-xx-xx-xx, ipaddr 192.168.1.1, mask 255.255.255.0
gateway not set, nameserver not set
Start TFTP server
Reading ::
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 7 of 8
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: