what DD-WRT features do you use? (dd-wrt vs stock)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
resu321
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 3:44    Post subject: what DD-WRT features do you use? (dd-wrt vs stock) Reply with quote
just out of curiosity, what dd-wrt features do you use and find useful, which not represented in the stock firmware?
Sponsor
ATHF
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 7:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hmmm, all of them...

Telnet/SSH, Remote firewall/kernel syslog forwarding, full control over the wireless settings, additions of packages, not limited to 3 static IP addresses, VPN client AND server, very quick security updates, bandwidth monitoring (and even more with YAmon). That's just a quick few off the top of my head.

Velop:2 WHW0101, RE6500, RE9000(AP)
Spectrum - 1000/50
SysLog Watcher 5, New security Onion box coming soon, Fingboxes, PiHoles, NEMS, Cacti, rpisurv
zakaron
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Honestly, I've never really used the stock firmware except to upgrade to DD-WRT. That's the only feature of stock that I've used!

I use my DD-WRT install for full control over IPTables. I manage all NAT, port forwarding, and policies via FWBuilder that can export the custom rule set right into DD-WRT. I also use DNSmasq for internal DNS lookup, external forwarding & caching, as well as its DHCP service for wireless devices only (for both private & guest wifi networks). I have another DHCP server on the LAN, so I was able to control having DD-WRT provide this service for only wireless devices. I also like that it can show real-time bandwidth usage as well as usage over time. I too use it to SSH into in order to check status or run tests (including iperf testing).

It is much more customizable and flexible, which I have enjoyed using since my old WRT-54g days.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: