Linksys 3200 ACM loosing connection

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
narinesa
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 23:13    Post subject: Linksys 3200 ACM loosing connection Reply with quote
I was using VPN for one year and just switched to Nord VPN. My wi-fi looses connection with the router when not in use overnight. That is everyday before I can use my wi-fi computer, I have to power cycle the router and or do a troubleshoot connection.

Nord don't have a solution but believes it is a router problem with the date.

I have limited computer skills.
Sponsor
05dyna
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 0:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
just an FYI, when posting problems always mention your build #.

it could be the time/date, the NTP function is broken on some of the recent builds.
myersw
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Look at this tread. ericb posted a cron job to keep the clock in sync. Page down first page to his entry.
https://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=314869&start=0

ISP:Comcast
tutorial for flashing "WRT" series:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=287813
DD-WRT Installation, Upgrade & Basic Setup–Cliff Notes:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=311117
Kong DD-WRT Config Tutorial:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Install-and-Configure-a-DD-WRT-Kong-Router/
I tried to be normal once. Worst 2 minutes ever.
narinesa
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 16:03    Post subject: Linksys 3200 ACM Reply with quote
The build number is v 3.0 30826 dated 11/1/2016
05dyna
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 16:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Then don’t worry about the hack above, Kudos for ericb coming up with a workaround but that’s just a hack for yet another botched build. It sounds like its only the wireless correct? Does it drop wired connections too? If only the wireless try upgrading to 34080. If that don’t work you need to reset to default and redo the config. The old builds did drop the wireless so maybe that’s your problem while the router is still connected to the vpn.

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2017/12-14-2017-r34080/linksys-wrt3200acm/ddwrt-linksys-wrt3200acm-webflash.bin

I’ve tested Nord in the past on a trail offer to compare it to Private Internet Access (PIA) to see if there was any speed difference. Both vpn services worked well with build r34080.If that build don’t work chances are you may have something misconfigured
myersw
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 19:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
@05dyna
And yet another reason to get away from WRT's. Time sync works as it should on my r8000 running r35831, BS's latest. Re-syncs every hour.

ISP:Comcast
tutorial for flashing "WRT" series:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=287813
DD-WRT Installation, Upgrade & Basic Setup–Cliff Notes:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=311117
Kong DD-WRT Config Tutorial:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Install-and-Configure-a-DD-WRT-Kong-Router/
I tried to be normal once. Worst 2 minutes ever.
doniNZ74
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 21:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
myersw wrote:
@05dyna
And yet another reason to get away from WRT's. Time sync works as it should on my r8000 running r35831, BS's latest. Re-syncs every hour.

*Yawn*

Your comments about WRT's are now getting tiresome. This is Beta Software, why you expecting perfect software is beyond me? I guess Beta SW just runs perfectly on Netgear hardware then?

My WRT1900ACv2 has now been serving me for more than 5years Smile Most reliable router I have ever owned!
narinesa
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 21:54    Post subject: Linksys 3200 ACM Reply with quote
The only connection I am using is wi-fi.
But the next time, I will try a cat5 connection.

In the meantime, build 34080 is my best option ?
05dyna
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 21:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
myersw wrote:
@05dyna

don't know if this applies to your build but take a look here

https://www.myopenrouter.com/forum/microsoft-updates-are-blocked-dd-wrt

@doniNZ74 Go easy on myersw, he a good man and has helped many here and probably would make a good Mod. He’s got a lot of hours invested in the wrt3200 and IIRC the wrt1900. I think if he wants to take a shot at the WRT line he’s earned that right. He’d be the first one to help someone and if he can’t he’s point you in the right direction.

narinesa wrote:
But the next time, I will try a cat5 connection. In the meantime, build 34080 is my best option ?

You need to figure out if it’s just dropping the wireless and if the tunnel (vpn) is still up. If the tunnel is still up then its the wireless only but you need to confirm that. I only cited than build because it works.
Mark1958
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 23:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
@05dyna wrote

@doniNZ74 Go easy on myersw, he a good man and has helped many here and probably would make a good Mod. He’s got a lot of hours invested in the wrt3200 and IIRC the wrt1900. I think if he wants to take a shot at the WRT line he’s earned that right. He’d be the first one to help someone and if he can’t he’s point you in the right direction.

I second that, as myersw is on this forum daily helping many many folks, if he was lying that would be one thing, but calling a spade a spade is another story.

If someone asked should they buy a Wrt router today I would chime in and tell them to look else were!!
Just because he comments that his Netgear is working fine shouldn't bother anyone here.

There are many of us out here that are just tired of spinning our wheels to no avail with the Wrt's including myself.

If you want to complain, than also be out here assisting others more than a couple times a week!!!

JMHO, Mark

Router: LinksysWRT3200Acm{RIP}
Router: Linksys EA8500 kongat r35030m (Vpn)
Router: Netgear X4S kongat r35965M
Vpn: IpVanish
Unbrick your 3200acm with usb to ttl cable: https://tinyurl.com/y9azvrkg
doniNZ74
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 0:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
05dyna wrote:

I just can't fathom why he is taking his frustration out on the linksys hardware? Sure the newer DD-WRT beta releases are not perfect with some of the WRT hardware. The linksys units work flawlessly with factory software, therefore problem points to DD-WRT beta SW?

You can't say a router is crap because it does not run the latest beta SW. Many people don't bother with custom SW and don't/won't experience any of these issues listed here. This does not mean the hardware is crap! Netgear has had its issues running brainslayer builds too in the past. Its not immune to future broken beta builds either. We all part of this Beta SW "testing team". If something is not working we should be taking the approach of reporting it:

http://svn.dd-wrt.com/report

Unfortunately the general trend here seems to be to just complain and most don't really understand what beta SW really is.

My WRT1900ACv2 has now been serving me for more than 5years Smile Most reliable router I have ever owned!
doniNZ74
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:10    Post subject: Re: Linksys 3200 ACM Reply with quote
narinesa wrote:
But the next time, I will try a cat5 connection.

In the meantime, build 34080 is my best option ?

Your best option really depends on your setup/config etc..
If I was you I would probably start with r34080 and see if you have the same problem or not. If not, then move along to the next build if you feel like it. Otherwise there is no need to upgrade? The best build is rarely the latest one, its the build which works best for your setup, and may differ from someone elses best build.

Finding your best build sometimes means experiencing teething problems. I keep a log of all my upgrades and dates, including backups. Its not uncommon for me to rollback to a previous build. I'm currently on r35531, there are 4 newer releases which seem to be more problematic than my current loaded build (25 days uptime). If I upgrade and experience problems, r35531 will be the fist build I come back to but it may not be the best for somebody else.

Good luck

Mark1958
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
@doniNZ74 wrote

"The linksys units work flawlessly with factory software, therefore problem points to DD-WRT beta SW?"

This statement is simply Not true, you only need to look at Linksys own forum to find over 120 pages of issues with their firmware since 12/14/2017, having to reboot, wireless & lan failure to mention a few.

https://community.linksys.com/t5/Wireless-Routers/WRT32x-and-WRT3200ACM-WiFi-Issues/td-p/1246764

Mark

Router: LinksysWRT3200Acm{RIP}
Router: Linksys EA8500 kongat r35030m (Vpn)
Router: Netgear X4S kongat r35965M
Vpn: IpVanish
Unbrick your 3200acm with usb to ttl cable: https://tinyurl.com/y9azvrkg
05dyna
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
@doniNZ74 I hear you and like I said he’s racked up many miles on the WRT, that’s an undisputed fact so there’s that. And we all know the deal, it is beta FW and its FREE and so on... this is just my personal opinion, I don’t like seeing the thread drift into a full blown editorial either but if someone want to take the occasional jab at the WRT's I don’t see a problem with that. It just when the entire page gets hijacked with the complaints

So as far as the OP (in case you missed it) the earlier builds did have the wireless disconnect issues so I’m thinking since he (or she) had the older build the Wi-Fi is dropping and the VPN is still up but the OP has yet to confirm if the Ethernet clients are up or down. Then the OP says Nord says they think it’s the date, well is the date, date & time don’t know. just for laughs say the old build did have the ntp issue. a reboot isn't going to address that and from my experience with PIA if the ntp isn't working I can't connect at all, nothing, zero, nada.. So is Nord different in that aspect,don't know? I do know from reading here when the later builds started with the ntp issues that caused major issues for vpn users.

so I don’t see how opening a ticket on an old build without all the evidence being in does anyone any good. I think the OP would be better severed with something more recent and a clean install. Build r34080 was my “go to” build for the 3200 so can’t really recommend anything higher for ovpn but the OP could try whatever build they like....

edit: typos

Last edited by 05dyna on Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:27; edited 2 times in total
doniNZ74
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mark1958 wrote:
@doniNZ74 wrote

"The linksys units work flawlessly with factory software, therefore problem points to DD-WRT beta SW?"

This statement is simply Not true, you only need to look at Linksys own forum to find over 120 pages of issues with their firmware since 12/14/2017, having to reboot, wireless & lan failure to mention a few.

https://community.linksys.com/t5/Wireless-Routers/WRT32x-and-WRT3200ACM-WiFi-Issues/td-p/1246764

Mark

Sorry, I should have made myself more clear. I'm referring to Myersw's comment about getting away from WRT's because Time sync does not work in latest DD-WRT beta build. Thats a DD-WRT beta SW problem, not a linksys hardware problem. It should be reported as a defect against that brainslayer release, its not a reason to "get away from WRT's".

Yes there are other problems with firmware since 12/14/2017, but that has noting to do with NTP.

Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: