(SOLVED)Possible to upgrade r6200 v2 for KRACK?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
bushant
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 19:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
That image is still available.
https://www.myopenrouter.com/download/dd-wrt-firmware-netgear-r6200-v2-7-aug-2014.
You must be logged in.

GUI backup is still available also.
Sponsor
Omibus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 13:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
bushant wrote:

While powered off hold reset button while powering on till power light is flashing

Is the procedure on this netgear Website the correct one?
https://kb.netgear.com/000059633/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP-client

I would just follow it and replace steps 6 and 7 by what you wrote earlier above (to enter recovery mode).

i first try to flash the factory to ddwrt chk file of the 6250.

If the image doesnt work, i would just flash the image from 2014 again.

Or do i have to follow a different procedure?
bushant
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 14:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
I cannot help much if your using windows other than to say I had better luck using Tftpd32 but that was quite some time ago.
It is very simple using this linux box.

But that all looks about right. Maybe an experienced Windows member can jump in and comment.

Important to be patient and let the router finish and reboot.

While I'm at it you should be aware of NMRPFLASH for Netgear routers. Good to have in your toolbox.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 15:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
x2 for nmrpflash for Netgear routers:

https://github.com/jclehner/nmrpflash

https://github.com/jclehner/nmrpflash/releases

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Omibus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 16:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is nmrpflash an alternative to bring ddwrt onto the router or just to flash back the original one? The way to flash looks a little easier.
Omibus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
bushant wrote:

While powered off hold reset button while powering on till power light is flashing

I just tried this out, but the orange power light wont start flashing. The router just starts up like normal. First the "Netgear" logo lights up white, then the Power LED lights up orange (no flashing). Shortly after this, the other LEDs start to glow an the router is ready.
Is it different because i am already on ddwrt?

I set the power switch on the back of the router to off (waited 10 seconds), then pressed and held the reset button next to it with a nail, while switching on the power. No matter how long i hold the reset button. The power light will just glow orange and the router boots up normally. No flashing.

When i set my computers ip static to 192.168.1.10 and Ping the router while normally booting up. I get a quite long window of lets say 10-15 seconds, where i get the TTL=100 response.

What i would do now is follow the tftp directions on the netgear website and just press the put button in tftp when the router starts to respond with TTL=100. Would that work?

Or would you rather suggest flashing with nmrpflash instead?
bushant
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Do you have Reset Button enabled on Administration-> Management tab?

Mine is broken, I thought I broke it. Maybe DD-WRT breaks it. I don't know.
I flash the file using GUI which gives me flashy power light then continue with Tftp.

Either of those other methods probably work, I have never tried those methods on this router.
Omibus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Reset button is enabled.
What do you mean by flashing via gui?
I suppose I can't just flash factory to ddwrt via the ddwrt gui, right? Or does this work since I am already on a ddwrt firmware? My router still reports as a R6200v2. I suppose it won't accept an R6250 image.
bushant
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 13:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
I flash the R6250 factory-dd-wrt.chk file via dd-wrt gui resulting in recovery mode then proceed with Tftp.

You should be able to flash the Kong bin file using gui right now successfully
but you end up on a 2 year old build which isn't where you want to be security wise.
Omibus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 16:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks guys for your support, i had success! Smile

As i wrote earlier, i started on the Kong DDWRT from 2014 from myopenrouter.
I was not able to flash the newest R6250 factory to ddwrt image right away. Neither with tftp, not with nmrpflash.

So i updated to the 2019 Kong firmware simply via the web gui of the router. It then identified as an R6250.

After that, i was able to flash the newest R6250 factory to ddwrt chk file with nmrpflash.

I followed the instructions posted how to recover a bricked router with nmrpflash.

The only thing i did differently is the restart of the router to make it accept the flash procedure.

I plugged it out, waited 10 sec, plugged it in again, waited about 3 seconds (after the NETGEAR logo lights up, but before the orange Power LED lights up for the first time).
Then i executed the nmrpflash command for the first time and as described in the tutorial, did it again after the first timeout.

So far, everything seems to work. I'm curious if the new version is as stable as the old one. The router really never froze.

So thanks again, i really appreciate your help! Exclamation Very Happy
bushant
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 17:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nice!
I guess now we know the Kong bin file is a necessary intermediate step in order to be able to continue to update this router.

Good job!
Omibus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
To give a little update:
The R6250 build runs also very stable on my R6200. Absolutely no problems.
I tried to update to a newer build via the gui, but this bricked the router. So don't try this.
Just flash every update via NMRPFLASH and you're fine. Worked also in the bricked condition and my router runs fine again.
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 15:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, you can continue using the R6250 factory-to-dd-wrt.chk file via tftp or nmrpflash. Official support is still a WIP per the Supported Devices Wiki. With the recent support added for the V1, there is hope that Official firmware images will come at some point.
And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 Display posts from previous:    Page 3 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: