(SOLVED)Possible to upgrade r6200 v2 for KRACK?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Both of these seem to be identical to the R6200V2 according to wikidevi:

Linksys EA6300
D-Link DIR-860L rev A1

I think both BS builds for those are around 25MB. That would be the two I would try, but only if I had recovery tools handy.
Sponsor
bushant
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 0:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Update:
Since I have a new unit on the way I decided to resume trying to brick this by updating with <Kong> dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC_ARM_STD.bin
It worked. Seems to be working fine although staus reports it as being a 6250 now.
Guessing this qualifies it as being supported?
<Kong> builds only though.
EDIT: Wonder about just using 6250 trailed or <Kong> builds now? (Update-6250 trailed won't work.)

EDIT 2: If it is using dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC_ARM_STD.bin
you can put it in recovery mode and TFTP-> dd-wrt.K3_R6250.chk .
After that you can continue using the same method.

Before asking for help - Read the forum guidelines AND Upgrade DD-WRT!
Adblock by eibgrad + Blocklist Collection

Last edited by bushant on Sun Apr 21, 2019 23:16; edited 2 times in total
deslatha
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
used any ...K3_AC_ARM_STD.bin but not .chk. For .chk FW, you need strip out header's bytes until HDR0 or 44 48 52 30 in hex then rename with .bin. ext file .chk tell router where and how to loader, but .bin where direct to flash mtd linux. On OEM FW, you can not used web upgrade cause FW of router checks and verified. only you can able through ssh or telnet by serial console port.(aka SSty, uart0=serial porter, uart1=telnet porter).
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 14:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
bushant wrote:
Update:
Since I have a new unit on the way I decided to resume trying to brick this by updating with <Kong> 36440dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC_ARM_STD.bin.
WEEEDOGGIES it worked. Seems to be working fine although staus reports it as being a 6250 now.
Guessing this qualifies it as being supported?
<Kong> builds only though.
EDIT: Wonder about just using 6250 trailed or <Kong> builds now?

That is awesome! I would probably stick with Kong builds, since that is where you started and where you've had success. Would be great if you could have it correctly reporting at a 6200, but if it's working, that is trivial.
bushant
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 15:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
deslatha wrote:
used any ...K3_AC_ARM_STD.bin but not .chk.

I had not noticed <Kong> 6250 builds were .chk, I won't try them but might try BS 6250 build later. THANKS for that.
kernel-panic69 wrote:
that is trivial
I agree.
Have since found that I have no contact via wifi as Repeater either webgui or telnet but still accessible via wire (I think).Could be due to no reset? Also trivial. Thanks guys/girls.

bushant
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 0:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
After work tried wired access. Webgui,telnet,and putty all connected but kept crashing. Reboot did not help. erase nvram && reboot then reapplied Repeater Bridge settings. Wireless and wired access restored, running like a clock.
Still "Solved", even more better.
Gotta thank <Kong> on this.

Edit: 10-8-18 For anyone who runs across this thread. I have since tried updating this firmware every way possible. Have established the only possible way is soft brick resulting in flashy power light. Trying to upgrade or downgrade with any r6250 BS or Kong build or any Kong dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC_ARM_STD.bin will have this result. Then tftp the dd-wrt-K3_R6200V2_7-Aug-2014.chk build from myopenrouter.com, very easy, timing is not an issue. Then flash desired Kong dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC_ARM_STD.bin.

GsynthChris
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
bushant wrote:
I hope it is OK to reopen my own old thread.I have been researching this device and see that it has the same hardware as a few devices that are supported. Although with different memory values.
DIR860L
EA6200….EA6300 (V0.1?)….EA6350
TEW811DRU
These all have BS builds with their own build names.

Of note is the EA6350 which is listed here: http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-Arm/Supported%20Models
Code:
Build dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC_ARM_STD.bin supports:LINKSYS EA6350  NETGEAR R6250
NETGEAR R6300V2
This is a 22MB file

The exact firmware currently running on this router is:
Code:
dd-wrt-K3_R6200V2_7-Aug-2014.chk (12.4 MB)
which came from: https://www.myopenrouter.com/downloads/dd-wrt-r6200v1r6200v2 12.4 MB! (possible Kong?)

Also noted that the supported devices page and wikidevi do not agree on one of the radios included:
wikidevi says BCM4352 while DD-WRT says BCM4360 ((ATTache screenshot)) .I have no clue which is correct except 6200V1 has the 4352 and the 6250 has the 4360 according to DD-WRT supported devices.

So, the new question is do I (would you) dare flash the Kong K3_STD or maybe just try the dd-wrt.K3_R6250.chk? The R6250 has Broadcom BCM4708A0 CPU instead of BCM47081AO and has its own BS build.
Do I make a brick or just toss this box? It has good enough specs to spend a little work on.

OH MY GOODNESS THIS JUST WORKED!!!!!

I have spent all day on this and had just reached the point where I was hoping I would brick it so I could go on with my life!!!! hahaha

I have DD-WRT running on my Netgear R6200v2.
used: "dd-wrt-K3_R6200V2_7-Aug-2014.chk"
from: https://www.myopenrouter.com/downloads/dd-wrt-r6200v1r6200v2
How: literally just used the web interface uploader. nothing special. I didnt even clear the NVRAM.

Unfortunatly it is a bit old but I really dont care at this point. I'm just glad it has enough functionality for my needs.

Only thing I noticed that is strange is it seems to not play well with Google Chrome. I have to make my config changes from Edge or *gulp* Internet Explorer. It may work on some other browsers but i'm not trying to run those tests. lol

I am super curious though if now that I am running this version of it if I may be able to find a newer version. Since it already has DD-WRT it shouldnt be too hard to reflash... But also if it aint broke, DONT FIX IT!

Did I mention I'm new here? hahaha! Today is the first day I have even looked into DD-WRT and I now have 3 separate flashed routers.
bushant
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 13:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
GsynthChris wrote:

I am super curious though if now that I am running this version of it if I may be able to find a newer version. Since it already has DD-WRT it shouldnt be too hard to reflash... But also if it aint broke, DONT FIX IT!

As I wrote above, it ain't real easy to update.
I have only been able to use <Kong> builds,dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC_ARM_STD.bin, from this folder:
http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-Arm/
It will flash ok from 24170-dd-wrt-K3_R6200V2_7-Aug-2014.

After that you have to return to 24170 as described above to update.
Instructions for TFTP flash: https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/TFTP_flash#TFTP_Tools

If you update to <Kong> the router will identify itself as R6250.
It may me possible to update using <Kong> ddwrt/K3-AC-Arm/dd-wrt.K3_R6250.chk after that, I have never tried.
I am on the latest 38580 from the Test folder and may try the 6250.chk next time.

If you decide to try let me know how it goes.

Omibus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 16:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
bushant wrote:
GsynthChris wrote:

As I wrote above, it ain't real easy to update.
I have only been able to use <Kong> builds,dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC_ARM_STD.bin, from this folder:
http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-Arm/
It will flash ok from 24170-dd-wrt-K3_R6200V2_7-Aug-2014.

After that you have to return to 24170 as described above to update.
Instructions for TFTP flash: https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/TFTP_flash#TFTP_Tools

If you update to <Kong> the router will identify itself as R6250.
It may me possible to update using <Kong> ddwrt/K3-AC-Arm/dd-wrt.K3_R6250.chk after that, I have never tried.
I am on the latest 38580 from the Test folder and may try the 6250.chk next time.

If you decide to try let me know how it goes.

Hi, i also have the R6200v2 on the
24170-dd-wrt-K3_R6200V2_7-Aug-2014 firmware.

I am very happy with the stability and performance of the router on this firmware. Also network Printing via USB and VPN are working well.

@bushant Is there a huge advantage of upgrading to a newer build with the method you found out? Security is my main concern.

Could you provide a step by step totorial with working links again, maybe? Smile This would really help me, as i did never use a TFTP upgrade and i want wo make shure i use the correct image files.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 17:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
All <Kong> builds are no longer available on any resource.
You will have to upgrade to mainstream version from BrainSlayer, if it will fit.
Current version is 46329 as of this post:
https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2021/04-13-2021-r46329/netgear-r6250/

The advantage to upgrading is security patches that have been applied since the version you have installed.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Omibus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 17:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Will this R6250 image work on the R6200? How do I find out?
And how do I flash the image without bricking my device?
bushant
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 17:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
@Omibus the number of security updates since your nearly 7 year old build was released would be to numerous to mention. VPN, DNSMasq, and many others.

You may be able to tftp the latest R6250 factory-to-dd-wrt.chk staight to it without using the Kong file first.
https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2021/04-13-2021-r46329/netgear-r6250/factory-to-dd-wrt.chk

Since all the links in the OP are dead I will supply the last Kong build in case you need it.

40270-7-11-19dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC_ARM_STD.bin
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  40270-7-11-19dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC_ARM_STD.bin
 Filesize:  23.37 MB
 Downloaded:  74 Time(s)

Omibus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 17:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Will the factory to ddwrt image be the correct one when I'm already on a ddwrt built? Or do I have to go back to a factory image before?
Just to be prepared: If the router is bricked then, is there a way to bring the previous ddwrt image back onto it?
Do you think chances are good that the 6250 image will work on my 6200v2? You did a lot of stuff with it so far as I can read on this thread 😉
bushant
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 18:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have never been able to brick her.
It just goes into recovery mode when it doesn't accept something.

Aside from the old Kong bin files the factory-dd-wrt chk files are the only ones that I was able to flash.

While powered off hold reset button while powering on till power light is flashing and it is ready to tftp the file to 192.168.1.1.
Be sure to set a static IP on your computer before you try to connect.

You can always tftp your old 2014 file to it.

You should do a factory reset after successful flash then configure.
Omibus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 19:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ah OK, so the mode for tftp upload is the recovery mode and this is always available to flash an image even if the image i flashed doesn't work?
Can I also grab a full backup with tftp or in the current gui?
I don't know if the image that's on the router right now is still available for download anywhere.
Do you maybe have a source? I downloaded it from myopenrouter in first place.
Normally I would just go for it. The reason for my bunch of questions is, that this is currently my only access point.
But if it's possible to go back I would feel ready to go!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: