Wireless bridge with DIR600 B1?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
frankel
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 22:19    Post subject: Wireless bridge with DIR600 B1? Reply with quote
Hey so I got a bunch of these routers and I'm on a budget so I was planning to build a wireless bridge to share internet with another area 25 meters from my house.

Basically one primary DIR600 ver.B1 would be sitting outside inside a weatherproof box with an ethernet cable going to my modem/router. The router's antenna would be fit with a wavesurfer-type antenna inside the box pointing to the secondary router which is another DIR600 in a box, same config as primary with another windsurfer antenna pointing at the other one since there's line of sight with no obstacles.

The secondary router would have an ethernet cable to provide internet access to a third DIR600 router inside this other location, this one acting as an access point.

I got a 30Mb connection and afaik a bridge like this shouldn't degrade a N 150 signal like a repeater would.

Am I missing any details here? is the DIR600 good enough for this? is the windsurfer antenna alright or I should use something like a cantenna instead?
Sponsor
frankel
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 16:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
eibgrad wrote:
It will certainly work as far as the configuration goes

BTW are there any redundant parts here? I tried to make it as simple as I could

eibgrad wrote:
but how much other 2.4GHz or 5GHz noise it has to contend with. Including other devices in that range that are NOT network related.

TONS of it, tho afaik only 2.4 (not a lot of AC in this country) but most of my devices are N

eibgrad wrote:
For this kind of point to point connection, the more narrowly you can focus the signal, the better.

Catenna then? since its going to be inside a sealed box I could use a pringles can, would the snack-size one be enough? the regular size takes too much space
frankel
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 21:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Bump, can I bump?

BTW since these will be outside just how hot could it get during summer with the sun shining on it? I plan to use a white plastic tupper as enclosure, is that enough?
H3llh0und
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Regarding your setup 25m is not that far. I would try it first with the most simple Setup.

I often run the DIR-600 from a PowerBank there are USB-plugs on the Internet or you have one around (mine is from an USB DVD-Drive). This makes it easy to find a good place.

Setup both devices inside. On mine the Link-rate and strength isnt shown in Bridge mode you can switch to Client too make antenna Adjustments but you will not be able to get a connection in this mode - Ralink based limitation afaik.

Then test outside. With one USB powered device I can check linkstrengt when moving towards the endpoint position.

If you get a link all is good and you can try some antenna. I use Yagis they are easy to get/make an adjusting is not that tricky. No Luck try a better antenna on the endpoint ponting to the main device.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: