When OpenVPN is on it ignores QoS Down/Uplink Limits + More

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
wirelesskebab
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:11    Post subject: When OpenVPN is on it ignores QoS Down/Uplink Limits + More Reply with quote
Hi there,

I updated my router from v3.10.103-r30681 (09-22-2016) to DD-WRT v3.0-r35681 std (04/06/1Cool recently, I could no longer wait for a version with non-looping ebtables which would break OpenVPN that was KRACK patched.

I substituted ebtables with a working version, CPU usage came down and OpenVPN would connect, however, when OpenVPN is enabled: QoS Down/Uplink limits are ignored, bufferbloat is high, packet loss and erratic speeds.

Considering that the ebtables has been replaced with a functional build, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to get OpenVPN traffic to respect the QoS limits? I tried running iptables -t mangle -vnL in SCP, it listed all traffic as exempt.

Is this a specific problem with the OpenVPN build on this version? I cannot find any information on this, not in the ebtables replacement topic or in the thread for the (04/06/1Cool version. Nobody is complaining about the issue but me when ebtables is replaced on this build.

The router was reset before and after the upgrade. Anything you can do to help would be wonderful, thanks.

TP-Link Archer C9 V1
DD-WRT v3.0-r35681 std (04/06/1Cool
Kernel Version
Linux 4.4.126 #2890 SMP Fri Apr 6 09:30:11 CEST 2018 armv7l
Sponsor
MDA400
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 19:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did you try disabling shortcut forwarding engine under the setup tab?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
MDA400 wrote:
Did you try disabling shortcut forwarding engine under the setup tab?

Yeah, I already tried disabling it, it didn't help. OpenVPN respects QoS and symptoms go away if I don't substitute the ebtables file with one that works... but without substituting my ebtables my routers CPU usage climbs to 75% on the dual core 1ghz when idling with OpenVPN enabled. Scratch that, after 12 minutes uptime the CPU usage has climbed to 90% at idle.

Edit: I tried disabling the firewall as well, still same effect.

Crying or Very sad Sad
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not much information to make a diagnose here. A mix of routing a bridging features are mentioned, so it's unclear how they work together.

1) Is this a bridged (tap) or routed (tun) VPN?

2) ebtables is for filtering on the MAC level (bridging). It has no effect on routing.

3) QOS affects routing only. If it's configured for the WAN, all it will see is the VPN server/client on the router transmitting.

To affect any clients behind the VPN, it has to be applied to the LAN.
wirelesskebab
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 20:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Per Yngve Berg wrote:
Not much information to make a diagnose here. A mix of routing a bridging features are mentioned, so it's unclear how they work together.

1) Is this a bridged (tap) or routed (tun) VPN?

2) ebtables is for filtering on the MAC level (bridging). It has no effect on routing.

3) QOS affects routing only. If it's configured for the WAN, all it will see is the VPN server/client on the router transmitting.

To affect any clients behind the VPN, it has to be applied to the LAN.

OpenVPN Client Enable
Server IP/Name TorGuard
Port 1195
Tunnel Device TUN
Tunnel Protocol TCP
Encryption Cipher AES-256 CBC
Hash Algorithm SHA256
User Pass Authentication Enable
Username Private
Password Private
Advanced Options Enable
TLS Cipher None
LZO Compression Adaptive
NAT Enable
Firewall Protection Enable
IP Address N/A-Blank
Subnet Mask N/A-Blank
Tunnel MTU setting 1500
Tunnel UDP MSS-Fix Enable
nsCertType verification Unchecked
TLS Auth Key Private

Additional Config
persist-key
persist-tun
tls-client
remote-cert-tls server
mtu-disc yes *(setting from https://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=314867 first post)* *(issue still occurres if removed or re-added)*
proto udp4 *(setting from https://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=314867 first post)* *(issue still occurres if removed or re-added)*

Policy based Routing N/A-Blank
PKCS12 Key N/A-Blank
CA Cert Private
Public Client Cert N/A-Blank
Private Client Key N/A-Blank

Shortcut Forwarding Engine Disabled

Quality of Service
Start QoS Enable
Port LAN & WLAN (have tried just WAN, makes no difference.)
Packet Scheduler HFSC (Have tried changing this.)
Queueing Discipline FQ_CODEL (Have tried changing this.)
Downlink (kbps) 27000
Uplink (kbps) 26940
TCP-Packet Priority
ACK Unchecked (Have tried changing these.)
SYN Checked (Have tried changing these.)
FIN Checked (Have tried changing these.)
RST Checked (Have tried changing these.)
Other settings under QoS not configured, have tried changing them, no change, so deleted.

I have several Port Triggering rules for various programs, haven't tried to see if those are being ignored w/without ebtables replacement while OpenVPN is enabled or disabled. File size of ebtables is different from older versions or other router builds. Testing ebtables without replacement locks router up and requires restart. Crying or Very sad

Should be noted, manually changed settings to match working build when upgraded, have tried various tweaks and toggles, but eventually returned values to last known working settings on old build. Confused

Btw, the router is hooked up to my fiber ONT and is being used as a wireless access point, symptoms persist weather using wireless or using ethernet ports in previously described scenarios.

Thanks for your response. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: