OpenVPN - quickly switch between VPN servers without reboot

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
hommegam
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 20:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
All aware and thanks - already taken care of. Now you know what I actually meant by not being a lazy ass. I have SMB setup as well right now but don't ask my why Infuse or ATV doesn't wanna read SMB fast enough.
Sponsor
hommegam
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 20:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Saw you added that and yes I am also aware of that as it messes up the table or db if you restore from a different build.

And I'm using R7800 not sure how identical it is as I don't have your Asus.

the-joker wrote:

And when using current build a reset to default and manual reconfiguration a must, several nvram variables have gone and new ones added else gremlins may get you.
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 21:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:
Your router and mine are identical hardware btw.

hommegam wrote:

They are not identical; His router is a Broadcom, yours is Atheros, or rather Qualcomm IPQ8065 with Atheros wifi chipset. They are both ARM processors, but that's about the only similarity.

https://wikidevi.wi-cat.ru/ASUS_RT-AC68U
https://wikidevi.wi-cat.ru/Netgear_R7800

And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
hommegam wrote:

I was talking about the OP's router which is a Netgear r7000, identical to Asus RT-AC68U

But the thread has been hijacked by several others and maybe I got confused who has which router.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
hommegam wrote:
All aware and thanks - already taken care of. Now you know what I actually meant by not being a lazy ass. I have SMB setup as well right now but don't ask my why Infuse or ATV doesn't wanna read SMB fast enough.

You need the right SMB version the ATV is using and depending on that Samba configuration may add overhead, and since we dont know what youre doing exactly its not easy to determine whats wrong. and tbh its an ATV I dont think I have the fortitude to support Apple anything, Apple support get's paid for supporting their crap, so I run far from this.

Also old DD-WRT used different samba implementation which was standalone, these days it uses the in kernel ksmbd which is lightweight and faster.

Not to mention, you cant just expect to upgrade, reset and reconfigure router side, use old samba configs or whatever it is youre using, that use to work and you also have to consider the client side of things they setup may need tweaking to match. ATV's are notoriously awful in my long experience with Media Center type boxes during my 10+ year long stint with XBMC now Kodi.
If you have firmware updates for it, install them. /me grumbles about Apple crapware.

But... This is a VPN thread, which now slowly morphing into DLNA and Samba Smile gotta love the intrawebs.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
In the PDF, page 1, I added a small script to quickly change the Server IP address from the Command line.

Not tested and not polished, feel free to try (improvements are welcome)

There are SSH apps for your phone with which it should be possible to switch from your phone, setup instructions to do that are welcome

See: https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=328390

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
hommegam
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks much for going above and beyond for this one particular user and seeing through what the simple ask was 🙏🏻.
Nobody wanted to turn this into a file sharing protocol discussion, except maybe you know who.

egc wrote:
In the PDF, page 1, I added a small script to quickly change the Server IP address from the Command line.

Not tested and not polished, feel free to try (improvements are welcome)

There are SSH apps for your phone with which it should be possible to switch from your phone, setup instructions to do that are welcome

See: https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=328390
hommegam
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:

and tbh its an ATV I dont think I have the fortitude to support Apple anything, Apple support get's paid for supporting their crap, so I run far from this.

Also old DD-WRT used different samba implementation which was standalone, these days it uses the in kernel ksmbd which is lightweight and faster.

But... This is a VPN thread, which now slowly morphing into DLNA and Samba Smile gotta love the intrawebs.

Let me be blunt and clear that your responses have been off-topic, personal and offered zero value but I kept responding to you as per what a user seeking help would. It's only funny so long as the other end finds it.

Have I not explained enough that I've tested two different recent builds and they are working?

My two cents, take your Apple-sob elsewhere if you don't know how to make Apple devices work the way dd-wrt works for you.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 Display posts from previous:    Page 3 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: