Enabling Plex Server Outside Your Network

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Advanced Networking
rax369
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 22:12    Post subject: Enabling Plex Server Outside Your Network Reply with quote
Hi there guys,

I'm trying to enable again my Plex Server from being reached outside my network.

I'm dealing here with a problem, that was already solved from some firmwares ago, but had not realized that @ some time, after upgrading to some of the latest FWs, I lost this feature.

My router is a D-Link DIR-825 with DD-WRT v3.0-r34080. My ISPs router was set to "bridge mode" so my own router got the routing control (just in case on the ISP's router the FW has been disabled, and UPnP been enabled).

What I've tried already?

1) Enabling UPnP in the NAT/QoS section
2) Changing the port manually in Plex
3) Configuring manually port-forwarding (after trying step 3)
4) Disabling my AV & FW (EIS) and Spyware (SUPERAntiSpyware)

Whatever I do always get the following error in Plex:

The way I have set UPnP:

Also remember that in the past, some guy in this board suggested me to add the following lines into Services / Services / DNSMasq:

Code:
rebind-domain-ok=plex.direct

But nothing what I do has helped. Could anyone enlight me what I'm doing wrong please? Do you think it's a firmware issue? Sad
Sponsor
eibgrad
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 0:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not sure what the UPnP problem is (been a lot of things breaking lately w/ dd-wrt that are quite unusual, port forwarding, policy based routing, etc., so nothing surprises me anymore), but regardless whether UPnP is broken, you should always be able to port forward manually. In fact, I don't recommend using UPnP if you can avoid it since (imo) it represents a security risk.

The problem could be that your WAN ip is a *private* IP (192.168.x.x, 10.x.x.x, etc.). Some ISPs, in an effort to preserve the limited remaining IPv4 address space, are placing their customers on private IPs rather than public IPs. And that will work fine for connections initiated from your local network and outbound to the internet, but will make initiating connections from the internet into your local network (via port forwarding or UPnP) impossible.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: