CenturyLink router support?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> General Questions
zeek!
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 16:34    Post subject: CenturyLink router support? Reply with quote
I have CenturyLink internet and a stock router from them. The router is a Zyxel brand router from CenturyLink with C1100Z model number. I cannot find this router anywhere on DD-WRT's website, on either the supported or blacklist lists.
Sponsor
js1662
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
The reason is because it is a modem router and modem routers are not supported by dd-wrt in general.
drhiii
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Following up on this old post to double check this is not possible...

Just acquired a Centurylink account. CL supplied a Zyxel C3000Z modem. I want to replace it so I don't pay their monthly of course.

I have a Linksys WRT3200ACM. Capable of PPPoE. Can I supply the username and password credentials into the PPPoE fields and get on with business? Or, not possible? tx
FlyDanoFly
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 18:35    Post subject: Got the WRT3200 to work with CenturyLink! Reply with quote
For anybody else who comes across this really old post, I got this to work!

I have CenturyLink fiber with gigabit service and have successfully replaced the default C3000Z modem/router with a WRT3200ACM router. The setup is upstream fiber -> black box modem (Calix 716GE-I) -> C3000Z -> home wireless/wired network. (Note: The internets claim the C3000Z is a modem and router, I'm no expert but I think it's just a router).

Setup was something like this:
1. Need to get your PPPoE credentials from CenturyLink. I was able to do this through online chat.
2. Go to "Connectivity > Internet Settings" and select "Edit"
3. For "Connection Type" select "PPPoE"
4. For "Username" put the one from CL (Note: my original router had username@centurylink.net, in did NOT need the @centurylink.net part)
5. For "Password" put the one from CL
6. I left the other settings as is ("Keep Alive" is selected with a 30 second period)
7. Click "Apply" and wait for it to finish

Doing just the above didn't work, turns out you need this critical step:
8. Select "Connectivity > VLAN"
9. Turn the switch to "ON"
10. Change "Select Profile" to "Manual"
11. In the "Internet (Trunk)" section make the settings:
11a. ID: 201
11b. Tag: Tagged
11c. Priority 0 (this is the default)

At this point I was able to connect the WRT3200ACM to the black modem that converts the fiber to RJ45 and it has been working ever since. Note: it had to go it the EXACT SAME port as the C3000Z. Using a different port DID NOT work.

More info about VLAN tagging can be found here:
http://www.firewall.cx/networking-topics/vlan-networks/219-vlan-tagging.html

Hope this helps somebody someday!
drhiii
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 21:11    Post subject: Re: Got the WRT3200 to work with CenturyLink! Reply with quote
Well this is cool. I had tabled the work on this but your post reinvigorated this. Absolutely wouldn't mind getting rid of the C3000Z. And yes, the claim that it is a modem/router.. nope. It is just a router. If it was also a modem, then why would Centurylink place a modem in front of a modem?

Anywayz, tx for this HowTo. Will give it a go, break stuff, get the household in a panic for 5 minutes... until I iron out the pieces. Will report back...

FlyDanoFly wrote:
For anybody else who comes across this really old post, I got this to work!

I have CenturyLink fiber with gigabit service and have successfully replaced the default C3000Z modem/router with a WRT3200ACM router. The setup is upstream fiber -> black box modem (Calix 716GE-I) -> C3000Z -> home wireless/wired network. (Note: The internets claim the C3000Z is a modem and router, I'm no expert but I think it's just a router).

Setup was something like this:
1. Need to get your PPPoE credentials from CenturyLink. I was able to do this through online chat.
2. Go to "Connectivity > Internet Settings" and select "Edit"
3. For "Connection Type" select "PPPoE"
4. For "Username" put the one from CL (Note: my original router had username@centurylink.net, in did NOT need the @centurylink.net part)
5. For "Password" put the one from CL
6. I left the other settings as is ("Keep Alive" is selected with a 30 second period)
7. Click "Apply" and wait for it to finish

Doing just the above didn't work, turns out you need this critical step:
8. Select "Connectivity > VLAN"
9. Turn the switch to "ON"
10. Change "Select Profile" to "Manual"
11. In the "Internet (Trunk)" section make the settings:
11a. ID: 201
11b. Tag: Tagged
11c. Priority 0 (this is the default)

At this point I was able to connect the WRT3200ACM to the black modem that converts the fiber to RJ45 and it has been working ever since. Note: it had to go it the EXACT SAME port as the C3000Z. Using a different port DID NOT work.

More info about VLAN tagging can be found here:
http://www.firewall.cx/networking-topics/vlan-networks/219-vlan-tagging.html

Hope this helps somebody someday!
FlyDanoFly
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 21:58    Post subject: Re: Got the WRT3200 to work with CenturyLink! Reply with quote
[quote="drhiii"]... Will give it a go, break stuff, get the household in a panic for 5 minutes... until I iron out the pieces. Will report back...

Good luck! I'd love to hear how it goes.

I did forget to mention I'm running stock LinkSys firmware, not DD-WRT. It felt like an accomplishment to get it working at all, my next "someday maybe" project will be to get it going with DD-WRT.
drhiii
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 22:14    Post subject: Re: Got the WRT3200 to work with CenturyLink! Reply with quote
Oh oh. I am running DD-WRT. Hm, I recall when digging into this with DD-WRT flashed... ran into gotchas. WIll give it a go again tho. Nice to see energy on this.

[quote="FlyDanoFly"]
drhiii wrote:
... Will give it a go, break stuff, get the household in a panic for 5 minutes... until I iron out the pieces. Will report back...

Good luck! I'd love to hear how it goes.

I did forget to mention I'm running stock LinkSys firmware, not DD-WRT. It felt like an accomplishment to get it working at all, my next "someday maybe" project will be to get it going with DD-WRT.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: