Diagnosing WDS issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> General Questions
EdwardC
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:48    Post subject: Diagnosing WDS issues Reply with quote
I've got DD-WRT installed on a Netgear R7000P, and I'm attempting to set it up as a WDS client of a NetComm NL1901ACV running NetComm firmware. I've followed the guide at https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/WDS_Linked_router_network

DD-WRT on the R7000P reports that the WDS connection exists, with good signal strength, but once I unplug the cable that joins them, no pings will go through.

I can see on the NL1901ACV that it's bridge interface includes its WDS interface, whereas on the R7000P DD-WRT hasn't done that. I tried manually adding the WDS interface to the bridge on the R7000P, but it had no effect, so I assume I was on the wrong path there.

So, what should I be checking next? I'm a little hamstrung by the firmware on the NL1901ACV, but it does give access to a handful of Linux networking command-line tools.
Sponsor
EdwardC
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
If it helps, I now have root shell access on the NL1901ACV.
ian5142
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 18:12    Post subject: WDS Reply with quote
First of all, WDS only works between routers that have the same chip manufacturer (Atheros and Atheros or Broadcom and Broadcom). Don't try to go Atheros to Broadcom or vice-versa.

Turn off wireless encryption for testing purposes on both.

Also, dd-wrt will show the WDS AP connected in the Status - Wireless menu, bottom of the page. If the Signal level is at 0%, it is not connected.

PS: I have only ever done Atheros to Atheros in recent years. I know there was issues with WDS on Broadcom a while back. I am not sure if it was ever fixed. Netgear R7000P is Broadcom based. Wikidevi is a good source for this.

Some dd-wrt wiki pages are up to date, others are not. PM me if you find an old one, I am trying to update them.

Atheros:
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 x2 - WDS AP, WDS Station
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1 - WDS Station
TP-Link 841nd v8 - WDS Station
Linksys WRT400N - bricked
D-Link 615 C1 x 4 - not used
D-Link 615 E3 x 2 - not used
D-Link 825 B1 - WDS Station
D-Link 862L A1 x2 - WDS Station
Netgear WNDR3700v2 - WDS Station
TP-Link 1043nd v1, inactive, unstable hardware
UBNT loco M2 x2 - airOS

Broadcom
Asus N66U - backup Gateway
Netgear r6300 v1 - AP
Linksys E2500 - not used
Linksys EA2700 - not used
Linksys 160N v3 x2 - not used
Netgear WNDR3700v3 - not used
MediaTek
UBNT EdgeRouter X - Gateway, DHCP, QoS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: