YAMon 3.4 - usage monitoring for your router

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
ColoradoUser
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 17:20    Post subject: Re: Fixed the local IP lookup issue? Reply with quote
al_c wrote:
On numerous occasions, people have noticed that their local (private network) IP addresses were showing up as belonging to some other external organizations in the Active Connections table (Live Usage tab).

This started happening after I switched from storing individual addresses for the IP lookups to CIDR (Classless Inter-Domain Routing) ranges. That change was necessary because the size of the ip database (~100K entries) broke the look-up & sync functionality in the reports.

When you click an IP address in the Active Connections table, it triggers a JSON call which returns the entry in the database with the narrowest CIDR range that includes that IP. If there is no match, a new entry gets added (based upon a reverse Whois lookup and some other logic). For a reason that I don't fully understand yet, the way that I am resolving the CIDR ranges occasionally returns non-sensical values - e.g., an entry that covers all addresses between 192.0.0.0-192.255.255.255.

It occurred to me just recently (in a moment of `duh`) that I could/should manually add entries for the private network IP ranges (10.0.0.0/8, 172.16.0.0/12, 192.168.0.0/16). AFAIK, that should now permanently fix this problem.

You might want to resync your entries by clicking the gear icon in the top right corner of the Active Connections table and then clicking `Sync IPs with usage-monitoring.com`

Let me know if I've missed anything

Al

Hey Al - I think this might have just broken, perhaps just this morning. My local network (192.168.x.x range) is suddenly saying it is in Denmark. I tried a re-sync but haven't tried anything else. NOT URGENT - just wanted to let you know.
Mike
Sponsor
yoyoma2
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 15:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yamon (HTML: 3.4.5 / Script: 3.4.5) isn't working for me on the latest stable kong build using only ipv4. Yamon logs are filled with the following message:
Code:
00:02:24        2       checkChainEntries: YAMON34v4 returned only 0 entries?!? Resetting iptables rules
ddaniel51
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
yoyoma2 wrote:
Yamon (HTML: 3.4.5 / Script: 3.4.5) isn't working for me on the latest stable kong build using only ipv4. Yamon logs are filled with the following message:
Code:
00:02:24        2       checkChainEntries: YAMON34v4 returned only 0 entries?!? Resetting iptables rules

I'm not seeing that line.
What router and version of DD-WRT are you using?

Wired AP 3 Unifi Wifi 6 LR US 1Gb LAN
Syslog Services Asustor 7110T NAS 10GB
NetGear XS716T 10GB Switch
download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/ (Brain Slayer)
YAMon https://usage-monitoring.com/index.php
VTecheira
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
I haven't pinpointed the root cause of it yet (because frankly I haven't had the time to fully investigate) but I can confirm this behavior as well. Simply restarting YAMon resolves it. At some point through the processes of DD-WRT and/yamon the yamon iptables gets mangled. It's seems to take 1 - 3 days to occur. At least on my setup. I also make liberal use of other services so that may be a contributing factor.

A quick and dirty work around I started using to avoid the problem was setting a cron job to restart YAMon at 3:45AM and I've never seen the problem when I did that.

I'll probably mod my local copy to do a restart when that message is seen in the logs. Now oddly enough, the last time I looked in the logs it looks like Al does try to reset the entries when the message occurs but it must be different from standard start up.

In case someone has more time than I do, here's how I plan to investigate.

1. Take a full list of iptables right after YAMon starts.
2. Monitor the log for the next occurrence of the error.
3. When it occurs, increase logging to maximum for one hour and try to review the logs to identify root cause.
4. Put some mechanism to reset the iptables similar to what a restart does.
Kamakzie
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 20:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey guys I got this installed last night and everything is working however the data seems to be reporting way too small. Any ideas? I'm using it with Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r36168 std (06/20/1Cool.
ddaniel51
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kamakzie wrote:
Hey guys I got this installed last night and everything is working however the data seems to be reporting way too small. Any ideas? I'm using it with Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r36168 std (06/20/1Cool.

Which router? Ethernet or Wifi?

Care to post up your config.file?

Mine currently lists 28 devices and 3.11 GB for the day.
Not much Netflix or Amazon today.

Kamakzie
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
ddaniel51 wrote:
Kamakzie wrote:

Which router? Ethernet or Wifi?

Care to post up your config.file?

Mine currently lists 28 devices and 3.11 GB for the day.
Not much Netflix or Amazon today.

Hopefully this is what you mean https://pastebin.com/8YFFhjM9

My router is a Linksys WRT1900AC version 1
ddaniel51
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 15:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Don't see anything glaring at me though you may want to update your firmware build.
Kamakzie
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 16:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah I'm not sure what the deal is. Attached is a picture of the software currently. See how goofy the statistics are. I disabled SFE and universal plug-and-play and it still does this.

Annotation 2019-01-13 113506.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  100.77 KB
 Viewed:  2254 Time(s)

Annotation 2019-01-13 113506.jpg

Kamakzie
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 20:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
I really have no clue what I did but I upgraded my firmware and it made my USBs no longer function. So I downgraded back to the firmware I was using before and now all of a sudden Yamon is working. Totally weird!
VTecheira
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kamakzie do you have UPnP enable that can through YAMon monitoring for a loop too.

If you look at individual devices, is any one particular device off, or are they all off?

Also you have IPv6 monitoring disabled, do you have any IPv6 devices on your network?
Kamakzie
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 17:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
VTecheira wrote:
Kamakzie do you have UPnP enable that can through YAMon monitoring for a loop too.

If you look at individual devices, is any one particular device off, or are they all off?

Also you have IPv6 monitoring disabled, do you have any IPv6 devices on your network?

Seems to be fine now. Pretty odd. All is well! Smile
al_c
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 20:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
VTecheira wrote:
I haven't pinpointed the root cause of it yet (because frankly I haven't had the time to fully investigate) but I can confirm this behavior as well. Simply restarting YAMon resolves it. At some point through the processes of DD-WRT and/yamon the yamon iptables gets mangled. It's seems to take 1 - 3 days to occur. At least on my setup. I also make liberal use of other services so that may be a contributing factor.

A quick and dirty work around I started using to avoid the problem was setting a cron job to restart YAMon at 3:45AM and I've never seen the problem when I did that.

I'll probably mod my local copy to do a restart when that message is seen in the logs. Now oddly enough, the last time I looked in the logs it looks like Al does try to reset the entries when the message occurs but it must be different from standard start up.

In case someone has more time than I do, here's how I plan to investigate.

1. Take a full list of iptables right after YAMon starts.
2. Monitor the log for the next occurrence of the error.
3. When it occurs, increase logging to maximum for one hour and try to review the logs to identify root cause.
4. Put some mechanism to reset the iptables similar to what a restart does.
clearly something horrible is going wrong. And of course, it is not happening on my machines.

Can someone send me logs (at loglevel=0 or -1) when the problem occurs?

I believe that the code is detecting a bad state in iptables but is not recovering gracefully from that. So, one, I have to change the recovery mechanism and two have to fix whatever is causing the bad state. But recovering is the higher priority, I think.

Al
al_c
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 20:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
yoyoma2 wrote:
Code:

Can you send me the log? Can you set loglevel=0 and wait until the problem happens again and then send that log too?

TIA and sorry for the grief

Al
yoyoma2
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 17:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
When starting yamon with startup.sh after telneting into the router, my terminal would always hang on exit. By adding these lines to yamon3.4.5.sh to detach from the terminal just before the main loop, exiting from the terminal now returns cleanly to the host from which the telnet was made. This assumes that yamon doesn't do terminal I/O once running in background.
Code:
$send2log ">>> Starting main loop" 1

# Detach from terminal
exec 0>&- # close stdin
exec 1>&- # close stdout
exec 2>&- # close stderr

while [ 1 ]; do

Shamelessy copied from here
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 44, 45, 46  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 21 of 46
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: