YAMon 3.4 - usage monitoring for your router

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
ran
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
just to respond with a thank you to bushant and al_c for trying to help me.

I believe I have figured out what's happening - and addressed several issues in the post I just uploaded in this other thread, here: https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1147552#1147552.
Sponsor
ran
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:19    Post subject: Changed router DHCP ip range, now no data usage reported... Reply with quote
I changed the router's default ip range from 192.168.1.x to something else. I no longer see any data usage recorded by YAMon, only the router recorded usage. Do I need to redo YAMon or something to recognize usage?

YAMon is generating hourly data files...but it won't populate the web browser page at all (see pic below)...

11-20-18 usage.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  57.18 KB
 Viewed:  14675 Time(s)

11-20-18 usage.jpg

mainkaunhoon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 15:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
First of all, thanks a lot for this. It is extremely handy on the router and I wish DD-WRT integrates this into its build.

Now coming to a question, I have my PPPoE connection set to Forced Reconnect at 7 AM in the morning. I noticed just now that YAMon has gaps and no Live Data was shown after 7PM. I double checked and made sure it was running on the router.

A reboot fixed the issue. So does it have anything to do with the forced Reconnect setting? I use it as opposed to a router reboot.

al_c
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 17:27    Post subject: Re: Changed router DHCP ip range, now no data usage reported Reply with quote
ran wrote:
I changed the router's default ip range from 192.168.1.x to something else. I no longer see any data usage recorded by YAMon, only the router recorded usage. Do I need to redo YAMon or something to recognize usage?

YAMon is generating hourly data files...but it won't populate the web browser page at all (see pic below)...

Defaulting to the age-old IT cop-out response, did you reboot the router after making the settings changes?

I have found that some changes in the DD-WRT admin GUI can cause problems in YAMon but do not have a clear or comprehensive list of what they are.

I should probably add a caveat that after changing settings in the DD-WRT GUI, a reboot might be the widest course of action.

Al
al_c
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 17:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
mainkaunhoon wrote:
First of all, thanks a lot for this. It is extremely handy on the router and I wish DD-WRT integrates this into its build.

Now coming to a question, I have my PPPoE connection set to Forced Reconnect at 7 AM in the morning. I noticed just now that YAMon has gaps and no Live Data was shown after 7PM. I double checked and made sure it was running on the router.

A reboot fixed the issue. So does it have anything to do with the forced Reconnect setting? I use it as opposed to a router reboot.

Thanks for the kind words!!

Cool. Another scenario that I've not tested (and cannot because I do not have a PPPoE connection).

Does the problem occur every day after the connection is reset? Or just some days?

Do you have logging turned on in YAMon? (It is by default.) Can you send me a log? Can you open config.file and set loglevel=0 and then save the changes? And then send that log too... (after the 7AM reset)

BTW - There is no need to restart YAMon after changing the value of loglevel... the script will detect that config.file has been modified and will automatically update the logging settings)

Mental note, I need to update config.file to show which setting can be tweaked without restarting...

Al
al_c
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 17:43    Post subject: BTW about the Live Usage tab Reply with quote
A small but significant clarification about the Live Usage tab...

The results will be updated on that tab as long as YAMon web page is open *AND* your device is active.

This means that if you have a power saving setting that puts your PC/laptop to sleep after `x` min, the page will stop updating (because the tables are populated via a JS script which runs only while the device is awake).

Does this clarify things at all?

Al

I will add a message that explains this on to the Live Usage tab.
al_c
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 15:22    Post subject: Fixed the local IP lookup issue? Reply with quote
On numerous occasions, people have noticed that their local (private network) IP addresses were showing up as belonging to some other external organizations in the Active Connections table (Live Usage tab).

This started happening after I switched from storing individual addresses for the IP lookups to CIDR (Classless Inter-Domain Routing) ranges. That change was necessary because the size of the ip database (~100K entries) broke the look-up & sync functionality in the reports.

When you click an IP address in the Active Connections table, it triggers a JSON call which returns the entry in the database with the narrowest CIDR range that includes that IP. If there is no match, a new entry gets added (based upon a reverse Whois lookup and some other logic). For a reason that I don't fully understand yet, the way that I am resolving the CIDR ranges occasionally returns non-sensical values - e.g., an entry that covers all addresses between 192.0.0.0-192.255.255.255.

It occurred to me just recently (in a moment of `duh`) that I could/should manually add entries for the private network IP ranges (10.0.0.0/8, 172.16.0.0/12, 192.168.0.0/16). AFAIK, that should now permanently fix this problem.

You might want to resync your entries by clicking the gear icon in the top right corner of the Active Connections table and then clicking `Sync IPs with usage-monitoring.com`

Let me know if I've missed anything

Al
ColoradoUser
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 17:02    Post subject: Re: Fixed the local IP lookup issue? Reply with quote
al_c wrote:
On numerous occasions...

Testing this now. 192.168.xxx.xxx so far looks very good (and the little house is cool). Grandkids will be over later today which will generate much more traffic so I will check again.
Mike
ran
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 19:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm still trying to get a handle on why the YAMon measured usage is so different from that measured '@ Router'. Please see attached.

This is from yesterday, when we were gone all day, so I never turned on my desktop. Usage is from ohter devices/phones, etc... I am assuming that all recorded data usage is being stored on the USB flash drive connected to the router.

Today, when I load up the information, you can see that YAMon measured 1.1GB, the router measured 3.0GB, with a difference of 1.9GB. That's a significant discrepancy.

Any ideas on why this is consistently happening (every day shows this type of discrepancy)? I am under the assumption that I do *not* need my computer on/YAMon webpage accessed for this data to automatically be stored by the router scripts.....

Are there things I can test?

11-23-18 Usage.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  10.37 KB
 Viewed:  14588 Time(s)

11-23-18 Usage.jpg

al_c
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
[quote="ran"]I'm still trying to get a handle on why the YAMon measured usage is so different from that measured '@ Router'. Please see attached.

This is from yesterday, when we were gone all day, so I never turned on my desktop. Usage is from ohter devices/phones, etc... I am assuming that all recorded data usage is being stored on the USB flash drive connected to the router.

Today, when I load up the information, you can see that YAMon measured 1.1GB, the router measured 3.0GB, with a difference of 1.9GB. That's a significant discrepancy.

Any ideas on why this is consistently happening (every day shows this type of discrepancy)? I am under the assumption that I do *not* need my computer on/YAMon webpage accessed for this data to automatically be stored by the router scripts.....

Are there things I can test?[/quote]
Short answer, no I don't know why this is happening.

What does your ISP report for traffic on that day? I hope & expect it is closer to the measured @ the router total.

Do you have ipv6 traffic on your network? Is that option enabled in your config.file? Is your version of the 'ip' command working properly?

Is the list of devices in the reports complete? Do you have an unsecured secondary guest network?

What version of dd_wrt? What else is configured in dd_wrt? On your network?

Al
yoyoma2
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:34    Post subject: Re: Changing monthly data cap Reply with quote
al_c wrote:
I used to keep the bandwidth cap *only* in the config.file.

Now, it is added to the monthly usage file HOWEVER it is added only when the monthly file is created. I currently do not update the value in the active monthly usage file if the value changes mid-month.

So the short answer is next month things should be correct.

You can always modify the active monthly file yourself.

I will look into updating the value (presumably on restart and/or if I detect a change in your config.file).

Al

It's a new billing month now and I noticed the summary tab showing "% Not Set... see 'Settings' tab Cap " so I installed yamon 3.4.5 over 3.4.4 and the table header is now showing the proper "% of nnn GB Cap."

While installing 3.4.5 there was an sh out of range error shown in context below. I said no to ipv6 during installation in case that helps debugging. Things appear to be running but the sh error during installation isn't reassuring.

Code:
   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
   ~  Your reports URL: http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/user/
   ~  (subject to some firmware variant oddities)
   ~  If your reports do not open properly, see
   ~     http://usage-monitoring.com/help/?t=reports-help

* Copied previous configuration settings to `/opt/YAMon3/config.old`
    * and saved new settings to `/opt/YAMon3/config.file`
sh: fe80:: out of range

###########################################################
NB - One or more parameters were missing in your config.file!
        * _local_ip6 ()
The missing entries have been appended to that file with defaults
from `default_config.file`.

See `default_config.file` for more info about these values and check to ensure
that the defaults are appropriate for your network configuration.
wolff215
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 17:01    Post subject: Current day being loaded to monthly data Reply with quote
I get the error about having gaps in my monthly file. My monthly data file is filled out correctly, it seems that the data file for the current day is being loaded instead of the monthly file. When I scroll over the hyperlink for "monthly data" on the alert popup it shows the current daily file. This has been happening to me for quite some time, occasionally restarting the router or YAMon fixes for a bit, but the problem seems to always return. I am running YAMon 3.4.5.

Last edited by wolff215 on Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:48; edited 1 time in total
al_c
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 21:45    Post subject: Re: Changing monthly data cap Reply with quote
yoyoma2 wrote:
al_c wrote:
I used to keep the bandwidth cap *only* in the config.file.

Now, it is added to the monthly usage file HOWEVER it is added only when the monthly file is created. I currently do not update the value in the active monthly usage file if the value changes mid-month.

So the short answer is next month things should be correct.

You can always modify the active monthly file yourself.

I will look into updating the value (presumably on restart and/or if I detect a change in your config.file).

Al

It's a new billing month now and I noticed the summary tab showing "% Not Set... see 'Settings' tab Cap " so I installed yamon 3.4.5 over 3.4.4 and the table header is now showing the proper "% of nnn GB Cap."

While installing 3.4.5 there was an sh out of range error shown in context below. I said no to ipv6 during installation in case that helps debugging. Things appear to be running but the sh error during installation isn't reassuring.

Code:
   ~  Your reports URL: http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/user/
   ~  (subject to some firmware variant oddities)
   ~  If your reports do not open properly, see
   ~     http://usage-monitoring.com/help/?t=reports-help

* Copied previous configuration settings to `/opt/YAMon3/config.old`
    * and saved new settings to `/opt/YAMon3/config.file`
sh: fe80:: out of range

NB - One or more parameters were missing in your config.file!
        * _local_ip6 ()
The missing entries have been appended to that file with defaults
from `default_config.file`.

See `default_config.file` for more info about these values and check to ensure
that the defaults are appropriate for your network configuration.

Huh? Can you send your setup log to me at questions@usage-monitoring.com?

Thx
Al
iotola
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 16:19    Post subject: YAMon3 Corruption Reply with quote
I previously stated I was experiencing corruption with YAMon. I found this was occurring because I was restarting YAMon within the firewall script, (I was restarting YAMon in the firewall script so that I could make changes in the GUI, particularly the access restrictions section). However, it turns out that firewall script can get called multiple times and this lead to what I believe was a race condition in the YAMon scripts.

Anyway, I have managed to resolve this. I now call the YAMon stop script from the firewall script and I have a cron job that periodically (every 5 minutes) checks to see if any YAMon scripts/processes are running and if not YAMon is automatically restarted. This now allows me to make any changes in the GUI and YAMon continues to work (losing no more than 5 minutes of data).

The script I run from cron is the following.

Code:

#!/bin/ash
ps_out=`ps | grep YAMon3 | grep -v 'grep' | grep -v $0`
result=$(echo $ps_out | grep "YAMon3")
if [[ "$result" != "" ]];then
    echo "Running"
else
    rmdir /tmp/YAMon3.4-running
    /opt/YAMon3/startup.sh 0
fi

Should I wish to stop YAMon I have to prevent the automatic restart script from running. To do this I just rename the automatic restart script then shutdown YAMon. Once I want it to restart I just rename the automatic restart script back.

I put this up as I thought this maybe useful for others who want to make changes in the GUI while using YAMon (and don't want to restart the router!)

[/code]
ran
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:47    Post subject: YAMon Daily Usage Report won't update to correct day Reply with quote
I wanted to review my daily usage over the last several days. However, the 'Daily Usage Report' tab will only show my the current day. If I try to click the back arrow "Go to the previous day in this interval' the YAmon 'loading' window pops up, but none of the data is updated. I try going back or forth, but nothing changes on this tab. other tabs seem to show the correct totals, but this one won't update when I click on arrows.

I am running Windows 10 Pro, Firefox Quantum v.63.0.3

Update: Looks like it is Firefox specific, I just logged into my router via MS Edge, and YAMon updates when I click on the appropriate buttons in the webpage after a few seconds...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 44, 45, 46  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 19 of 46
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: