Wanting to Install Docker on the DD-WRT Router

DrVali
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 21:22    Post subject: Wanting to Install Docker on the DD-WRT Router Reply with quote
I've got a Linksys WRT3200ACM that I'd like to install docker on. Anyone done such a thing?
Sponsor
PavelVD
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 17:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
This post has been viewed more than 1300 times and not a single answer!
I am also interested in this question. Now can someone share the experience?
If this is not possible, let it be so. Which wise one knows?
(Maybe the question needs to be asked in another topic?)

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 14:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, since noone is responding in 3 years I'll throw in my 2 cents.
In my understanding it can be done in 2 ways:
1. Via premade package (as in Entware) - and Docker is already in OpenWRT.
2. Building/downloading it in a chrooted Linux.

SO...
1. Tried Entware - no Docker package. Anyone aware/seen an instruction how to use OpenWRT packaging/building on DD-WRT?
2. Tried building chrooted Linux - no luck on DD-WRT (even though I'm able to do that on FreshTomato). Always get all kinds of errors - "Illegal instructions" or "Accessing corrupted library" (with pre-made Debian image when trying to chroot). At one point was trying to build the image with debootstrap - still errors, this time Glibc complaining for bad kernel version (kernel version is above 255). Also when trying to delete the Debian directories on the external drive (when the testing different approach) the router is reset to factory defaults, each time!!
Even took the working chrooted Debian image from Freshtomato and upgraded the router to DD-WRT and installed the same version of Entware - chroot stopped working!!!
Huge waste of time and effort...

So in my opinion - the best direction here would be (depending on your specific situation):
1. try to download/build OpenWRT package in chroot
2. build chroot Linux image and try there (my errors might be related to the specific armel architecture of the router and your results might differ).
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 17:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
There is a post on compiling tee module see https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=330162

The general trick to compile something is related to having all the build dependencies installed + toolchains if required and the required compilers, then most modern projects have instructions on how to compile, and an experienced user with compiling source can just make adjustments as long as the dependencies are met, if the source supports the platform at all...

However compiling directly on a target platform like a router will be insanely slow, so cross compiling is the way to go.

Sure, I didn't give a straight answer, so for that yea sorry. Wink

On another note, running docker on a router and expect the router to perform as a router plus umpteen other things all at the same time and expect it all to work and reasonable fast is never gonna happen on most consumer router hardware even if that is a 2 core 1.8Ghz CPU and some half decent amount of RAM.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 17:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
I can provide you with a working cross compile toolchain GCC 11.2, binutils 2.38 and musl libc Smile

I use it to compile packages like Ipset and Avahi for DDWRT (which have been added to our builds)

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 18:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:
On another note, running docker on .... consumer router hardware ....

Often what folks want available on custom firmware for a consumer-grade wifi router is counter-productive and should be something done on a capable PC platform. Just my own thoughts.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
mwbuss8
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 4:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
the-joker wrote:
On another note, running docker on .... consumer router hardware ....

Often what folks want available on custom firmware for a consumer-grade wifi router is counter-productive and should be something done on a capable PC platform. Just my own thoughts.

I recently moved any of the extra stuff over to a cheap fanless Atom PC with OMV installed. I'll never go back. Let DD-WRT do what it does best. Spending $50 on ebay will have the extra services running far better than they ever will on a router, regardless of FW.

OpenMediaVault server for tailscale, SMB, & Emby
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: