Which WRT1200AC dd-wrt stable firmware to install

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
aafarup
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 06 Feb 2018
Posts: 6

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:18    Post subject: Which WRT1200AC dd-wrt stable firmware to install Reply with quote
Hi All
I am a new user, I have NORD VPN and looking forward to install dd-wrt firmware in my WRT1200AC router to use the VPN. i am bit confused regarding which firmware version is the best till now to install and how to set it up with Nord VPN. any help will be appreciated.
thanks
Embarassed Embarassed
Sponsor
aventus
DD-WRT User


Joined: 02 May 2014
Posts: 60

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Install latest firmware https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2018/

https://support.nordvpn.com/#/Connectivity/Router/1047410342/DD-WRT-setup.htm
aafarup
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 06 Feb 2018
Posts: 6

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 0:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
aventus wrote:
Install latest firmware https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2018/

https://support.nordvpn.com/#/Connectivity/Router/1047410342/DD-WRT-setup.htm


Butw which one is the last mostly working build for the WRT1200AC ?
ATHF
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 14 Dec 2015
Posts: 679
Location: 127.0.0.1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
aafarup wrote:

Butw which one is the last mostly working build for the WRT1200AC ?


What do you mean by "mostly"? As far as wireless, it is acceptable, and I don't expect any more updates from Marvell on it. The build right before the newest one was up 60 days on mine, acting as an access point.
As far as VPN, I believe you should be fine, though I am not currently using one on it, maybe someone else may tell you better.

Oh and you didn't mention if it was a version 1 or 2.

_________________
Tutorial for flashing WRT series
WRT Installation,Upgrade & Basic Setup–Cliff Notes
DD-WRT Firmware: r39144: WRT3200ACM, WRT1200ACv1, WRT1900ACv1
Velop:3 WHW0101, RE6500, RE9000
TWC/Spectrum - 300/25
SysLog Watcher 5, Security Onion on Virtual Box, Fingboxes, PiHoles
d0ug
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 31 Jul 2015
Posts: 722

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
The build that works best for you is going to vary based on hardware and the configuration that you use. Your best bet is just pick a current build, try it, if it does what you need good, if not try a different build.
aafarup
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 06 Feb 2018
Posts: 6

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
ATHF wrote:
aafarup wrote:

Butw which one is the last mostly working build for the WRT1200AC ?


What do you mean by "mostly"? As far as wireless, it is acceptable, and I don't expect any more updates from Marvell on it. The build right before the newest one was up 60 days on mine, acting as an access point.
As far as VPN, I believe you should be fine, though I am not currently using one on it, maybe someone else may tell you better.

Oh and you didn't mention if it was a version 1 or 2.

Actually I meant to say Which version is the most stable till date and I have the V1.
Thanks
ATHF
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 14 Dec 2015
Posts: 679
Location: 127.0.0.1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
d0ug makes a valid point, just choose the newest, if that doesn't work good for you, load going backwards in releases. I know I have went though quite a few that worked good at this but not at that...
_________________
Tutorial for flashing WRT series
WRT Installation,Upgrade & Basic Setup–Cliff Notes
DD-WRT Firmware: r39144: WRT3200ACM, WRT1200ACv1, WRT1900ACv1
Velop:3 WHW0101, RE6500, RE9000
TWC/Spectrum - 300/25
SysLog Watcher 5, Security Onion on Virtual Box, Fingboxes, PiHoles
Yemble
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 17 Feb 2010
Posts: 570
Location: Yorkshire (GOC)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
aafarup wrote:
ATHF wrote:
aafarup wrote:

Butw which one is the last mostly working build for the WRT1200AC ?


What do you mean by "mostly"? As far as wireless, it is acceptable, and I don't expect any more updates from Marvell on it. The build right before the newest one was up 60 days on mine, acting as an access point.
As far as VPN, I believe you should be fine, though I am not currently using one on it, maybe someone else may tell you better.

Oh and you didn't mention if it was a version 1 or 2.

Actually I meant to say Which version is the most stable till date and I have the V1.
Thanks


From memory I think the WRT1200AC v1 has very similar hardware build to the WRT1900AC v1. Does it have a fan? If so, you may need to be looking at a build around the time of r31924, which was the last stable release for the WRT1900AC v1.

By stable, I mean that it runs for months without ever rebooting unexpectedly.

*** EDIT ***
Actually, I maybe wrong as it seems that the WRT1200AC v1 has the same CPU as the WRT1900AC v2, ie. Marvell Armada 385 88F6820.

Ref. https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/linksys/wrt_ac_series

_________________
Linksys WRT32X v1 - r40134
Linksys WRT1900AC v1 - r40134
TP-Link Archer C9 v1 - r40134
Firmware: ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2019/
zakaron
DD-WRT User


Joined: 03 Jun 2016
Posts: 87

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 16:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have the WRT1200AC as well, and am running 34578 (dated 1.19.2018) with 18 days of uptime. It seems that the 1200 does not have nearly as many problems as the 1900 or 3200 series does. It seems that most problems I read about are from those series units. Now with that said, I did notice an odd issue with the 5Ghz radio. If I enable single user beamforming, it fails to bring up the radio interface. So if you run into an issue where 5Ghz is not coming up for you, disable that option. It only seemed to occur around the mid November release. It's certainly not a show stopper for me though. Otherwise it has been working pretty well with definite improvements since this time last year.
aafarup
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 06 Feb 2018
Posts: 6

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
zakaron wrote:
I have the WRT1200AC as well, and am running 34578 (dated 1.19.2018) with 18 days of uptime. It seems that the 1200 does not have nearly as many problems as the 1900 or 3200 series does. It seems that most problems I read about are from those series units. Now with that said, I did notice an odd issue with the 5Ghz radio. If I enable single user beamforming, it fails to bring up the radio interface. So if you run into an issue where 5Ghz is not coming up for you, disable that option. It only seemed to occur around the mid November release. It's certainly not a show stopper for me though. Otherwise it has been working pretty well with definite improvements since this time last year.

Thanks mate
i will try it . And if i want to go back to factory settings what do i need to do?
ATHF
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 14 Dec 2015
Posts: 679
Location: 127.0.0.1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
aafarup wrote:

Thanks mate
i will try it . And if i want to go back to factory settings what do i need to do?


Read the links in my sig.

_________________
Tutorial for flashing WRT series
WRT Installation,Upgrade & Basic Setup–Cliff Notes
DD-WRT Firmware: r39144: WRT3200ACM, WRT1200ACv1, WRT1900ACv1
Velop:3 WHW0101, RE6500, RE9000
TWC/Spectrum - 300/25
SysLog Watcher 5, Security Onion on Virtual Box, Fingboxes, PiHoles
Zolko123
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 26 Feb 2018
Posts: 2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 14:05    Post subject: Re: Which WRT1200AC dd-wrt stable firmware to install Reply with quote
aafarup wrote:
Hi All
I am a new user, I have NORD VPN and looking forward to install dd-wrt firmware in my WRT1200AC router to use the VPN. i am bit confused regarding which firmware version is the best till now to install


Hello, I'm a new user too, with the WRT1200AC-v2, and I installed the latest built from Kong :

http://desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-MVEBU/

I had tried OpenWRT, Gargoyle and DD-WRT stock, and the Kong's built has been (by far) the best.
wilma
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 27 Jan 2009
Posts: 29

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 16:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
The latest Kong build is fine as long as you don't need internal JFFS.
https://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1103434
Zolko123
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 26 Feb 2018
Posts: 2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 0:14    Post subject: @ wilma Reply with quote
following the other topic about the Kong release (https://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1103434)
I too have (had !) stability issued with WiFi 2.4GHz (it would die, and not show up again until reboot) and had to give up on Kong's built. I'm trying r33555 now.

It's a shame because opkg was working well. I copied his "bootstrap" shell script but it wouldn't want to work on stock DD-WRT.

Fortunately, I had saved "nano" and that one is still working. I can't stand "vi"
bcmalloy
DD-WRT User


Joined: 30 Jul 2011
Posts: 55

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:44    Post subject: Stable tested build wrt1200 v1 nice web interface better ddw Reply with quote
Compiled this build for my new linksys WRT1200ac after trying ddwrt and openwrt builds.

This is from a tested stable branch which ddwrt does not seem to have right now.

I have made a custom linksys interface and preconfigured it so it has similar settings to a commercial router you
would buy off the shelf for home. Enjoy the stability.

https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?pid=376121#p376121
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum