T-mobile AC-1900 wiki walkthrough

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
ohmic314
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:45    Post subject: T-mobile AC-1900 wiki walkthrough Reply with quote
Hi all - I definitely appreciate all the people who have worked on dd-wrt over the years. It truly is the best out there.

I recently purchased a T-mobile AC-1900 that is popular with everyone and finally got it setup the way I wanted. It took quite a bit of effort so I thought it would be nice to give people a walkthrough of steps needed. I thought the wiki pages would be a better place, but do you guys think the forums are better?

Basically, what I did was:
- Flashed to dd-wrt (kong)
- Setup VPN with killswitch
- Setup guest network and forced guest traffic through VPN
- Setup transmission on router and forced traffic through VPN
- All other traffic runs through ISP by default
- Normal traffic has the option of running through the VPN by using tinyproxy setup on the router

There seems to be a lot of talk about my setup not being possible or difficult to setup, so that's why I wanted to post the simple steps to do it.
Sponsor
tedm
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
forced traffic though VPN???!?! VPN to what? Without a diagram and reasoning why you are complexifying this, I'm personally not interested in complexity for the sake of complexity.
ohmic314
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
tedm wrote:
forced traffic though VPN???!?! VPN to what? Without a diagram and reasoning why you are complexifying this, I'm personally not interested in complexity for the sake of complexity.

There are different types of VPN and different uses. The VPN I'm referring to are the privacy VPNs. They are used to prevent people from tracking what you do on the internet. For example, anyone who has used bittorrent knows about how the ISP will send them a nasty letter if they download a movie or tv show. VPNs hide the traffic so they can't tell who is doing the downloading. Have you ever noticed some ads will start saying they know what city you live in and advertise stores in that city? These ads look at your IP and figure out where you are. VPNs mask that. And now that net neutrality has been disbanded, when the ISPs start filtering content, the VPNs can be used to get around it.

Why force traffic through the VPN? Because not everyone is tech saavy and can setup their computer to run through a VPN. So rather than risk getting a nasty letter because cousin Tim got a virus or left his torrent downloading Lord of the Rings. Or seeing a bunch of ads for old lady bras because aunt Betty was staying and did a bunch of online shopping. I keep the trackers at bay by privatizing their web history.

For people who have one computer or device or wants everything to go through a VPN, then it's easy to set that up. For people who want to setup only specific things to go through a VPN, I was not able to find an easy how-to guide. I was just offering to write one
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: