wrt3200 users - can we regroup?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
savagepagan
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 16:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
myersw wrote:
128bit wrote:
myersw wrote:
I personally have not had the issues some others seem to have. Have always wondered how much is actually due to the wrt3200, in my case, or to error on the part of the persons experience implementing the wireless configuration and understanding that there are many outside infrequencers to what to expect of a wireless connection. Wink In my case I do the basics. Wireless support on 2.4 and 5 and routing. No VPN no NAS, have a NAS for that which is much better support then you can get from the 3200. Things do seem to be getting better. Thankfully Brainslayer has been working with Marvel if you check the git. Am currenly running a build he made for some testing of new drivers and is running well. Sorry I have lost the web link.

Have followed the mess for over a year now and things do seem to be getting much better only used Linksys firmware if I wanted to have a stable (?) network when I first got the wrt3200. One thing I do not understand is on another forum Linksys stated that they were using an enterprise class wireless chip. If that is the case you would expect that Marvel would be doing much better then has been exhibited both the Linksys OEM firmware as well as what the 3rd party devs are given in the way of chip firmware and drivers.

i really needed to read that. you've been a rock on this forum, dude. don't stop

Thanks, but I maybe moving on as well. Ordered Netgear r8000 off of Ebay today. Getting tired of 2 years of still no good driver from Marvel. Don't think Linksys/Marvel are really into putting out a quality product. Their OEM firmware still has issues and then the 3rd party support is even worse. With the Netgear I can get back to Kong builds as well as Brainslayer.

Spit the truth. It's not Linksys. It's Belkin and they only wanted the Linksys name brand. They don't seem capable of living up to the Cisco reputation. They made mediocre routers and that is not going to change.
Sponsor
LookingForMyMojo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 19:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Spritzup wrote:
Just a quick question. I'm looking to use my 3200 as a wired router, no wireless at all. What is the most stable firmware build for that use case?

Thanks in advance.

~Spritz

might want to stick to ddwrt if you aren't using wireless. ddwrt hands down is the best 3rd party. Even BS can't do much with the wireless if Belkin/Marvell doesn't provide what he needs.

https://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=312142&highlight=ac86u
Spritzup
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 19:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
LookingForMyMojo wrote:
might want to stick to ddwrt if you aren't using wireless.

Apologies for not being clear. What version of DD-WRT is generally considered the most stable to use?

Thanks

~Spritz
LookingForMyMojo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 20:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Spritzup wrote:
LookingForMyMojo wrote:
might want to stick to ddwrt if you aren't using wireless.

Apologies for not being clear. What version of DD-WRT is generally considered the most stable to use?

Thanks

~Spritz

my suggestion would be to start at the most recent and work your way back until you find one that works best for you. everyone has different uses, loads etc. Flash one, configure it, with this router you would want to give it at least 2-3 days to work out it's internal demons before thinking you're in the clear.

I haven't touched my new router since I configured it last Friday! it just keeps getting faster !!!

128bit
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 20:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
guys, my rt-ac86u came in today and i'm about 95% done with its setup. still have nas to tweak but the files are showing up. it's only been up for a few hours now but i'm in shock!

my wired speed has doubled from 110Mbps to 236! no, i can't explain it but it's from beta.speedtest.net. i have spectrum's 100Mb service so i'm at a bit of a loss there. my 2.4 radio is putting out 105 Mbs from about 30 ft away and on another floor; before it was barely 60 on the now retired 3200acm with the current r34578 bs build. the 5g radio is doing 120 at a distance of 15 ft. hell, i wasn't getting 120 wired before!

so yes, it's early and i'm still leery about disconnects but so far pretty damn impressive - especially for $160 (usd). the vendor on ebay has since gone poof. the product shipped out of indianapolis but the return addy points to some commercial bldg in cali. that said, the packaging was first class including coupons. doesn't appear to have "fallen off a truck" for those of you who are not familiar with that american expression - stolen.

bottom line, this thing's blazing compared to the 3200 but now it's a wait and see for its ras (reliability/availability/serviceability). hell, even my problematic weather device is back online!! looks like i'll be posting on a different board soon but i thought some would appreciate the feedback. btw, even at $200, this may be a mu-mimo steal if for nothing else but 3200acm-headache relief. the only downside so far is that it appears that i'm logging into the asus website to configure it. i'd greatly prefer a direct connect to the device. hopefully, someone can advise.

lots of thanks to LookingForMyMojo for sharing. i owe him a beer! i'll post on any negatives if there's interest.

LookingForMyMojo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 20:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
try 192.168.50.1

myersw
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 21:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Installed my Netgear r8000 today. Running OEM firmware right now and can see quite a difference for the better in speed. Faster browsing and my simple iperf test shows speeds the wrt3200 never even dreamed of having. What a difference. The 5GHz wireless coverage is better in my house then the wrt3200, and yes in the same identical location before you ask. Very Happy

To bad Belkin will not step up to really supporting the Linksys WRT's. Fortunately I got mine off of ebay from a private seller not a refurbish so did not directly line Belkin's pockets.

Would I reinstall the wrt3200? Only if the r8000 should fail hard and I needed quick Internet access. The wrt3200 is relegated to shelf as a backup just in case. I always have a router configured for backup for that remote possibility that the primary router will fail. I figure the r8000 has been running somewhere so should not fail.

--bill

ISP:Comcast
tutorial for flashing "WRT" series:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=287813
DD-WRT Installation, Upgrade & Basic Setup–Cliff Notes:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=311117
Kong DD-WRT Config Tutorial:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Install-and-Configure-a-DD-WRT-Kong-Router/
I tried to be normal once. Worst 2 minutes ever.
128bit
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 21:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
LookingForMyMojo wrote:
try 192.168.50.1

will i have to revert to stock cause i've already reconfigured its ip address? your dotted-decimal ain't working. is it's addy on the ui somewhere?

128bit
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 21:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
d0ug wrote:

Are you using a VPN? I notice that on some of these speed test sites my speed is greatly exaggerated while on VPN. My only guess is the data set they are using for the test download is highly compressible and the compression in the VPN is giving that kind of throughput

I also have a 100/10 charter connection and have seen some mid 200's download rates on test sites, which is physically impossible unless compression is doing it. Real world usage though the VPN I see more like 50-60/10

the vpn was not enabled at the time. when using vpn on my 3200acm, the speeds were noticeably lower. asus must be doing something cause nothing else has changed. good to know though cause one doesn't want to sound crazy on this site. Smile

128bit
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 15:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
d0ug wrote:
128bit wrote:
d0ug wrote:

Are you using a VPN? I notice that on some of these speed test sites my speed is greatly exaggerated while on VPN. My only guess is the data set they are using for the test download is highly compressible and the compression in the VPN is giving that kind of throughput

I also have a 100/10 charter connection and have seen some mid 200's download rates on test sites, which is physically impossible unless compression is doing it. Real world usage though the VPN I see more like 50-60/10

the vpn was not enabled at the time. when using vpn on my 3200acm, the speeds were noticeably lower. asus must be doing something cause nothing else has changed. good to know though cause one doesn't want to sound crazy on this site. Smile

This http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31733904-HSI-Charter-speed-increases/ could also explain it. Look at the 9th post. Apparently in some markets they have increased the base speed to 200mbps. Maybe you are one of those markets.

This could also help you identify what the actual speeds are in your market, since rate cards are something they legally have to provide and keep updated. Easier than trying to wade though all the marketing BS on their site

https://www.spectrum.com/browse/content/ratecard.html

google came to town bringing fiber a few years ago and it's war here. so you may have a good point. Still, my seat-of-the-pants measure tells me, it's noticeably faster. it's confirueabilty alone is enough if speeds were the same.
. . . good tip.

128bit
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 16:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
wrapping up, we have at least 2 gurus jump the linksys ship. one went down the netgear path while i followed the other on the asus path.

both gurus and now self (plain-ole-user) are reporting better performance. i personally feel this may be my last-hurrah on this board as the device exceeds all my requirements. if anything now, the clients may need to step up to bring in mu-mimo to older sets, if that's even possible!

i'm currently streaming "grand tour" at 4k simultaneously on 2 different tvs as i write. if you know anything about that series, it has lots of fast moving sequences and wonderful color, so that bandwidth should be close to max.

i will miss the camaraderie on this board and will view from time to time but it's "stick-a-fork-in-me" time - cause baby, I'M DONE!!

. . . best to all.

Very Happy

05dyna
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 16:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
since the 3200 is already been written off in this thread I’d figured I'll share my off topic R7800 results. I purchased the refurb R7800 a few months ago and loaded dd-wrt up on it right out of the box and didn’t see it out-performing any device I currently own so back in the box it went. Heard great things about the R7800 and tried both BS and Kong builds. The end result was there was no wireless speed increase over my EA8500 so there was no point in moving to the r7800.

Attached are two test lower results. The first is Kong’s latest dd-wrt test build and the better result is with Voxel FW ver V1.0.2.45SF, it’s not even close. I could probably even received better results if the target wasn’t a 10 year old pc and had a faster hard drive but that said the conditions were set the same for both dd-wrt and Voxel firmware on the R7800. We have something like 14 wired clients and only 5 wireless so I’ll still be using dd-wrt for my day to day needs but found out for sure that one thing like a FW change could alter everything. So without further ado here’s the results
vit5421
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 17:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
I dont understand why ur Lan speed is so low on r7800. I have up to 960mbs wired and up to 500mbps wireless

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 17:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Looks like there is no 160 mhz support on ea8500 so will have some extra speed when switch this year to new intel 160 capable adapters and new hardware

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 18:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
last report back on my Asus AC86U experience as this has totally hijacked the thread.

there is no 160mhz option at the moment.

other then that......HOLY FECKING CRAP !! IT IS AWESOME !!!!

Twisted Evil Very Happy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 5 of 7
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: