TP-LINK Archer C7 V4 EU revert to stock

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
bogdangg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 20:57    Post subject: TP-LINK Archer C7 V4 EU revert to stock Reply with quote
Hello, i am new in the forum but i just manage to revert from DD-WRT to stock firmware and i think that it will be helpful for other guys here to know wo to do-it. If the Moderator can move the topic to other section that is proper please help yourself.

So afte alot of tryouts i manage to do-it in the folowing steps atached in the txt file(i could not write-it all in this coment.

At the end - voila - we have the stock firmware back on the archer C7 V4.

Thank you and i hope i was helpful and that you understand the steps.
Sponsor
granit123
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 18:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Great tutorial - after running out of options I tried to give the LEDE firmware a try again and it worked Wink
videobruce
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 21:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
To save opening his attachment here it is, but it is full of errors! See corrected version below.;
Quote:
1. First change to the adapter setting the folowing data:
- ip adress: 192.168.0.66
- subnet mask 255.255.255.0
- default gateway 192.168.0.1
2. Install TFPD client
3. Download the factory latest firmware or witch one you want from TP-LINK website (V4 variant) mine was EU version
4. Download From LEDE Project the folowing firmware :https://downloads.lede-project.org/snapshots/targets/ar71xx/generic/openwrt-ar71xx-generic-archer-c7-v4-squashfs-factory.bin
5. Download them in separate folder because you will have to update the router firmware with both files separately.
6. First in the row will be the LEDE firmware - you have to rename-it :ArcherC7v4_tp_recovery.bin.
7. Start TFPT, select the folder destination to be the LEDE firmware renamed allready by clicking the show dir button.
8. Select the server interface from the list to be: 192.168.0.66
9. Connect the ftp cable to the lan port of your computer and the other end to one of the yelow ports of the router.
10. Turn off the router from the on off button.
11. Make sure again that in TFPD the server interface is 192.168.0.66
12. Press with something thin the reset button and keep-it press, push the on button and keep the resset button until the wps led is on and release both.
In the mean time TFPD will transfer the LEDE firmware to the router. After that will install the LEDE firmware but witout web interface.

13. Do the same thing with the TP link original firmware. in the same steps identical folowing the step from 6 to 12 but using the TP link Interface.

Afterwards you have to wait for let say 5 minutes until the router is updating the firmware.

Go to the network settings and check the buttons for optaining the IP Adress automatically.

Last edited by videobruce on Fri Feb 09, 2018 13:25; edited 1 time in total
videobruce
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 20:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Three questions;

1. Don't you mean a TFTP Client, not TFPD?

2. You stated "push the on button and keep the resset button until the wps led is on and release both." You only have to hold the reset button, correct?

3. Can't 'PuTTY' be used instead?
pocahontas
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 21:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
videobruce wrote:
Three questions;

1. Why a IP address of '66', not '2' (192.168.0.2) or something else?

2. Don't you mean a TFTP Client, not TFPD?

3. You stated "push the on button and keep the resset button until the wps led is on and release both." You only have to hold the reset button, correct?

4. Can't 'PuTTY' be used instead?

66 is hard coded into the router's boot loader / rom and is not influenced by any user configuration.

The router will attempt to download the recovery file from a tftp server hosted at 66.

You may have a recessed reset button instead of the combined wps/reset button on other versions. It must be held in when you power the router otherwise you'll miss the window so to speak.

Don't think so.
videobruce
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 21:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
He was saying to hold the power and the reset buttons.
What's wrong with using PuTTY, it seems to be preferred elsewhere over that outdated M$ progarm?

(I edited my questions as I discovered what the deal was with using '66'. Kinda odd isn't that to specify a specific address as opposed to a specific port?)
pocahontas
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 21:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hold reset and push the power button to turn the router on, no need to hold power it's a toggle button anyway.

You can use any program you want as long as it supports the TFTP protocol and can serve the file that the router requests.

There is no user interaction beyond holding the reset button, it's all automatic after that point.

From the router's perspective:

[1] Who has .66?
[2] Download recovery file from .66
[3] Flash
[4] Reboot
videobruce
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 21:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
His step 13 doesn't make sense when he states about "using the TP Link interface".

'Telnet' is the TFTP protocol isn't it?
pocahontas
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 21:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
You follow the process twice first using the LEDE snapshot and then using the official TP-Link firmware.

If you try to go to stock immediately the router will likely reject the file and reboot into dd-wrt which happened to me.

Give the router plenty of time to finish flashing the recovery files, watch the leds for activity.
videobruce
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 22:21    Post subject: Re-edited procedure v3 Reply with quote
His wording is confusing and contradicting which leads to mistakes. He never proofread it. I don't just mean just typos. Rolling Eyes

Hopefully this wording is correct:
-------------------------------------------

Revert C7 v4 back to stock using a LEDE intermediate FW revised

1. First change the PC NIC setting to:
- IP adress: 192.168.0.66
- subnet mask 255.255.255.0
- default gateway 192.168.0.1
(this assumes you have a wired Ethernet connection to the Router),

2. Download TFPD32 Server v4.60 (Portable version);
http://tftpd32.jounin.net/tftpd32_download.html

3. Download the TP-Link C7 v4 factory firmware (be sure it's v4);
http://www.tp-link.com/us/download/Archer-C7.html#Firmware
rename it to 'ArcherC7v4_tp_recovery.bin' (in separate folder w/ original file name to ID that file)

4. Download from LEDE Project;
https://downloads.lede-project.org/snapshots/targets/ar71xx/generic/openwrt-ar71xx-generic-archer-c7-v4-squashfs-factory.bin
then rename that to 'ArcherC7v4_tp_recovery.bin' also (in separate folder w/ original file name to ID that file)

5. First, useing the renamed LEDE firmware (openwrt-ar71xx-generic-archer-c7-v4-squashfs-factory), run TFPD32, select the folder destination for the LEDE firmware renamed by clicking 'Show Dir',

6. Select the server interface from the list to be: 192.168.0.66

7. Turn off the router,

8. Press the reset button and keep it pressed, power up Router, keep holding the reset button until the WPS LED lights, then release,
TFTP will transfer the LEDE firmware to the router. After that will install the LEDE firmware but without web interface,

9. Wait until the router updates the firmware.

10. Repeat that process with the TP link original firmware (renamed) using the same steps from 5 to 9.
----------------------------------------------------

The above was revised with additional links and instructions.

Last edited by videobruce on Fri Feb 09, 2018 13:23; edited 3 times in total
pocahontas
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 23:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
You need to install a TFTP server not a client.

There's programs freely available for both Linux and Windows.

Other than that you should be okay, download the appropriate firmware from TP-Link (EU/US).
videobruce
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
That was what the OP typed in his document. That wasn't a typo, that's how mistakes are made. (PuTTY is a client which is what he stated.)

Then would WinSCP or TFTPD32 Server qualify?

Last edited by videobruce on Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:32; edited 1 time in total
pocahontas
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
TFTPD32 should suffice and you'll be able to see attempts by the router to download the recovery file which is helpful.
videobruce
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 13:44    Post subject: Updated procedure Reply with quote
I revised the procedure and included additional links missing from the original post.

The original stock F/W that came with my unit is NOT on TP-Links website. It was dated 3/1/17. I did manage to find a copy of that from Softpedia, BUT it is not the US version;

http://drivers.softpedia.com/dyn-postdownload.php/7d12097df5e886f637f59924ca660c75/5a7db226/8b412/4/1

pocahontas
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 14:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://static.tp-link.com/Archer%20C7%28US%29_V4_170301.zip

This might be what you're looking for? I guessed the URL by swapping out EU for US.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 4
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: