NTP/Time settings not working on 3200ACM and 1900ACSV2

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
aairon
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 23:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
My router keeps time with the settings I posted above so according to you it must be magic.
NTP client: Enable left enabled by default.
Time Zone: America/Los_Angles.
Server IP/Name: left BLANK.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 0:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
aairon,

your system works theirs does not. I have suggested a change to there configuration ( IP address instead of URL).

None have come back and stated that this worked or did not work. So did did none even try it?

Another change would be for those with issues to set according to your setting (leave server blank) Yet none has comeback and stated that they tried that either.
robjak
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 0:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
Setting the date manually and shutting off NTP will still keep a very accurate time.

This is a mistake by me. I had thought that Router Manus would implement rtc on their boards.
I had thought my router had a RTC but it does not.
aairon
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
I am certain that is aairon booted up his router disconnected from the WAN it would not have the correct time

Of course I can confirm that, I had no thoughts about it getting the time from a on-board real time clock.

I know perfectly well it's getting time with the simple settings above, from many others around the world that there are usually default settings for the Time zone field that work and some that should and don't.

One instance effecting me, if I set it to America/Los_Angles. (hate it because I'm on the puget sound) Then it keeps proper time in relation to UTC BUT if simply select UTC -8(which should be the precise same thing) then I'm hosed unless I enter a legit Server IP/Name.

I guess I can't expect everyone to find these out easily, I've never personally bothered to report any of it because the time that it does keep works in conjunction with any other routers I'm linking to including non DD-WRT..

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 13:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
I should have done more research before thinking that these routers would have a RTC. I quickly read the Marvell datasheet and it showed the SOC to have an integrated RTC. All a manufacturer would need to do is add a 33.768 KHz oscillator, battery, and battery holder. At their volumes would probably cost about one dollar to implement.

Yes, I did find that leaving the server blank would still work as one server is hard-coded into ddwrt.
robjak
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 13:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
still have not heard back from ericb about his issue and if the firmware upgrade fixed is issue?

johnnyNobody999, Have you tried the IP?
robjak
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 15:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
there is a ticket in for NTP

http://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/6137
aairon
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 16:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
robjak wrote:
there is a ticket in for NTP

http://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/6137

Quote:
Running a WRT54G on r33986 and a WRT3200ACM on r34080. On both the routers, NTP is broken. After reboot the routers do not pick up the current time. If my time zone is UTC+4, the router will reboot with time 04:00.

Mine always reboots to Jan 1st.
Then according to the LOG it finds the correct time within a minute or so once the WAN is connected.
I already said that UTC -8 DID NOT WORK but another timezone which is the same but a different name like america/ los angles.
So the same for you there is another name UTC +4 you just need to find what one works, no need to type anything into that second box, but do what you will.
Good luck.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 18:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Same experience
Whenever there is a reboot of router wrt1900acs (ntp enabled or disabled) time is set back to 1970

This causes problems with vpn server/client connection apparently
ericb
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
robjak wrote:
still have not heard back from ericb about his issue and if the firmware upgrade fixed is issue?

Sorry, been camping;-)

New firmware did not fix.

My two 3200's are both configured as client bridges. My 1900 is configured as AP. All 3 still have problem. DNS is working on all 3, I can ping any of the public NTP servers by hostname from CLI. I have reconfigured using all the suggestions on here, including leaving the server field blank, using IP, etc.

In all cases, after a reboot, time is set back to default and never updates. If I set the time manually it will reset back to the default date/time in 1970 at some point, several hours at least.

Log entry after reboot:

Jan 1 00:00:30 bridge2 daemon.err process_monitor[1420]: Last update failed, we need to re-update after 30 seconds
Jan 1 00:00:30 bridge2 daemon.debug process_monitor[1420]: We need to re-update after 3600 seconds
Jan 1 00:00:30 bridge2 daemon.info process_monitor[1420]: set timer: 3600 seconds, callback: ntp_main()

Oddly, if I stopservice/startservice process_monitor....it kicks off and updates. Just won't do it on boot up. I suppose I could kludge this with a cron job.
aairon
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 16:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
ericb wrote:
robjak wrote:

Sorry, been camping;-)

My two 3200's are both configured as client bridges. My 1900 is configured as AP. All 3 still have problem. DNS is working on all 3, I can ping any of the public NTP servers by hostname from CLI. I have reconfigured using all the suggestions on here, including leaving the server field blank, using IP, etc.

In all cases, after a reboot, time is set back to default and never updates. If I set the time manually it will reset back to the default date/time in 1970 at some point, several hours at least.

Log entry after reboot:

Jan 1 00:00:30 bridge2 daemon.err process_monitor[1420]: Last update failed, we need to re-update after 30 seconds
Jan 1 00:00:30 bridge2 daemon.debug process_monitor[1420]: We need to re-update after 3600 seconds
Jan 1 00:00:30 bridge2 daemon.info process_monitor[1420]: set timer: 3600 seconds, callback: ntp_main()

Oddly, if I stopservice/startservice process_monitor....it kicks off and updates. Just won't do it on boot up. I suppose I could kludge this with a cron job.

Can we assume that you tried erasing the NVRAM completely and resetting your parameters manually.

I find it odd that mine acts so much differently?
But My WRT3200acm is set to AP only so maybe that's it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 17:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
OP,

Don't forget that it actually was January 1st yesterday. __ Question

wrt54GLs for ad'l 3rd tier machines.
aairon
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 17:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sam1789 wrote:
OP,

Don't forget that it actually was January 1st yesterday. __ Question

Shocked

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 18:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
aairon wrote:
ericb wrote:
robjak wrote:

Sorry, been camping;-)

Log entry after reboot:

Can we assume that you tried erasing the NVRAM completely and resetting your parameters manually.

I find it odd that mine acts so much differently?
But My WRT3200acm is set to AP only so maybe that's it.

Oh yeah, did all the normal troubleshooting. @Sam1789..lol, yeah....but not 1970;-)

Interestingly enough, my two 3200s behave differently in a couple of ways from each other, for example, the wireless setup screens for ath1 and ath2 are slightly different. Router1 shows the TurboQam option in Ath1, and not Ath2.....but Router2 has those reversed - Ath2 has a TurboQam option and Ath1 does not. When I first saw that, I though one of them was flipping the interfaces, but both Ath1 interfaces have the same signal strength, <shrug> buggy new driver code.
aairon
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 20:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
ericb wrote:

Interestingly enough, my two 3200s behave differently in a couple of ways from each other, for example, the wireless setup screens for ath1 and ath2 are slightly different. Router1 shows the TurboQam option in Ath1, and not Ath2.....but Router2 has those reversed - Ath2 has a TurboQam option and Ath1 does not. When I first saw that, I though one of them was flipping the interfaces, but both Ath1 interfaces have the same signal strength, <shrug> buggy new driver code.

If you have the same firmware loaded on both wrt3200acm's and the GUI is still different then proceeding beyond that point nothing is relevant.

By that I mean you obviously have a MAJOR PROBLEM with one of your WRT3200ACM's, messing with anything until you pin that down is pretty pointless and would border on bizarre behavior.
Your family could get you locked up for your own good.

Navigation

Jump to: