netgear R6400v2 - official?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
bigjohn
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:54    Post subject: netgear R6400v2 - official? Reply with quote
So - it's known that Tathagata Das (Tathagata here on the forum) has made a version that works on the V2.

Anyone else? is it officially supported now?
Just looking to get into mainstream support! LOL

Thanks all.

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:13    Post subject: DD-WRT Support Reply with quote
It has not yet been added to the official FTP releases, see my signature for links. It does look like an easy port though because it is similar to many other routers already supported. I would first PM Tathagata first to see the current level of support.

Has he notified Brainslayer/Kong, dd-wrt devs, of the attempt to port dd-wrt to that revision, etc.

Some dd-wrt wiki pages are up to date, others are not. PM me if you find an old one.

Atheros:
Netgear R7800 x3 - WDS AP / station, gateway, QoS
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 x2 - WDS Station
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1 - WDS Station
TP-Link 841nd v8 - NU
D-Link 615 C1/E3/I1 x 7 - 1 WDS station
D-Link 825 B1 - NU
D-Link 862L A1 x2 - WDS Station
Netgear WNDR3700v2 - NU
UBNT loco M2 x2 - airOS

Broadcom
Linksys EA6400 - Gateway, QoS
Asus N66U - AP
Netgear WNDR3700v3 - not used
MediaTek
UBNT EdgeRouter X - switch
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:08    Post subject: Re: netgear R6400v2 - official? Reply with quote
bigjohn wrote:
So - it's known that Tathagata Das (Tathagata here on the forum) has made a version that works on the V2.

Thanks all.

Tathagata is not on this forum. In the past it's been advised not to use his firmware as it has caused trouble.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 14:43    Post subject: Re: netgear R6400v2 - official? Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
bigjohn wrote:

Thanks all.

Tathagata is not on this forum. In the past it's been advised not to use his firmware as it has caused trouble.

Interesting because I PM him here and have exchanged email with him yesterday.... he's a little surprised that it's not in the official chain yet. I will reach out to him again.
bigjohn
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 14:46    Post subject: Re: DD-WRT Support Reply with quote
ian5142 wrote:
It has not yet been added to the official FTP releases, see my signature for links. It does look like an easy port though because it is similar to many other routers already supported. I would first PM Tathagata first to see the current level of support.

Has he notified Brainslayer/Kong, dd-wrt devs, of the attempt to port dd-wrt to that revision, etc.

You sir have a lot of routers! LOL.
I have PM him and he's surprised it's not in the official chain yet. Anyway I'll email him again today. For some reason my choosing of routers has not been the greatest when wanting support for tomato or dd-wrt... *sigh*

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 15:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tathagata is on the myopenrouter forum. Not here. Unless it’s a new development, the only developers here are Brainslayer and Kong.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 15:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
Tathagata is on the myopenrouter forum. Not here. Unless it’s a new development, the only developers here are Brainslayer and Kong.

are we splitting hairs here? obviously he is on this forum, or I'd not have been able to PM him.

It's been a few years since I said HI to brainslayer, so maybe i'll email him.
ian5142
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 15:40    Post subject: tathagata Reply with quote
Tathagata: https://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/profile_sec.php?mode=viewprofile&u=34782

Some dd-wrt wiki pages are up to date, others are not. PM me if you find an old one.

Atheros:
TP-Link 841nd v8 - NU
D-Link 825 B1 - NU
Netgear WNDR3700v2 - NU
UBNT loco M2 x2 - airOS

Broadcom
Asus N66U - AP
MediaTek
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 16:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
I never said he wasn’t a member of the forum. I said there are 2 dd-wrt developers here.

Read this https://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=744278

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 14:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Official developer or not, he built a version that runs on the V2. That makes him a 'developer', no? I think it works pretty well but probably needs a few tweaks.

But back to the point - Brainslayer / Kong? Official support for the R6400v2?
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 14:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
bigjohn wrote:
Official developer or not, he built a version that runs on the V2. That makes him a 'developer', no? I think it works pretty well but probably needs a few tweaks.

But back to the point - Brainslayer / Kong? Official support for the R6400v2?

He has also built firmware that made it impossible to go back to stock or to Brainslayer and kong builds afterwards.
Flash whatever you want on your router. I don’t really care.

When Brainslayer or kong support it, it will show up where all the other releases are.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 18:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Usual problem with Tathagatas builds is, that he releases those before us and therefore often has to use his own drivers from netgear, because new radios usually need an update on our side and that is only possible if you have a unit to do the porting.

E.g. the R7000P needed a bit of work on the platform code. Both Netgear and Tathagatas firmware used bad hacks in order to make the driver run only on this unit and these hacks didn't fully fix all issues. When I looked at the R7000P build from Tathagata, there was an issue with flash partitioning, he was rather lucky, that this error did not corrupt the flash when certain dd-wrt features are turned on.
Same goes for some tomato builds on some units, while they work with the basic conf, as soon as you turn on certain features they wipe parts of the flash where factory data sits.

If someone comes up with a full serial bootlog + nvram dump I can check the differences, if only minor things differ we don't need a unit, but in case of netgear this is usually not the case.

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 18:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
<Kong> wrote:
Usual problem with Tathagatas builds is, that he releases those before us and therefore often has to use his own drivers from netgear, because new radios usually need an update on our side and that is only possible if you have a unit to do the porting.

E.g. the R7000P needed a bit of work on the platform code. Both Netgear and Tathagatas firmware used bad hacks in order to make the driver run only on this unit and these hacks didn't fully fix all issues. When I looked at the R7000P build from Tathagata, there was an issue with flash partitioning, he was rather lucky, that this error did not corrupt the flash when certain dd-wrt features are turned on.
Same goes for some tomato builds on some units, while they work with the basic conf, as soon as you turn on certain features they wipe parts of the flash where factory data sits.

If someone comes up with a full serial bootlog + nvram dump I can check the differences, if only minor things differ we don't need a unit, but in case of netgear this is usually not the case.

Hey Kong - thanks for posting.
Got a link to how I would do that serial bootlog? if it requires hardware, I'll not be able, but if it's not extraordinarily difficult otherwise i'd be glad to grab it for you.
ian5142
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 18:55    Post subject: Serial connection Reply with quote
It requires a device like one of these: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/USB-TTL-UART-Serial-adapter-CP2102-5V-3-3V-USB-A/32791836370.html

Plus the cables dupont cables that you would also require, ~$2 US.

Atheros:
TP-Link 841nd v8 - NU
D-Link 825 B1 - NU
Netgear WNDR3700v2 - NU
UBNT loco M2 x2 - airOS

Broadcom
Asus N66U - AP
MediaTek
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 18:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
bigjohn wrote:
<Kong> wrote:

Hey Kong - thanks for posting.
Got a link to how I would do that serial bootlog? if it requires hardware, I'll not be able, but if it's not extraordinarily difficult otherwise i'd be glad to grab it for you.

If you have tathagatas build on it you can also supply output of commands:

dmesg
nvram show

then we will see.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: