No internet connection

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
JakobIsMyName
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 20:50    Post subject: No internet connection Reply with quote
I have just got a new linksys wrt3200acm and flashed ddwrt on to it. I can access the router on 192.168.1.1 and I can connect to it wireless. My problem is that I cannot get the internet connection through the router. If I plug the internet cable directly into the pc it works just fine. But when plugged into the router I do not get a connection.

I have talked with my ISP who tells me to use DHCP - which is also the default setting.

Any suggestions on what to try?

My setup
From the wall 2 cables into a pair bonding modem provided by my ISP: sagemcom f@st 4318 adsl vdsl pair bonding modem.
From the lan port on the modem into the internet port on the linksys wrt3200acm router with DD-WRT.

Last edited by JakobIsMyName on Thu Dec 14, 2017 16:43; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
ian5142
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 0:12    Post subject: WAN Port Reply with quote
Make sure the ethernet cable goes from the modem to a specially marked port on the router. It is usually a different colour, or marked WAN or Internet.

Some dd-wrt wiki pages are up to date, others are not. PM me if you find an old one.

Atheros:
Netgear R7800 x3 - WDS AP / station, gateway, QoS
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 x2 - WDS Station
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1 - WDS Station
TP-Link 841nd v8 - NU
D-Link 615 C1/E3/I1 x 7 - 1 WDS station
D-Link 825 B1 - NU
D-Link 862L A1 x2 - WDS Station
Netgear WNDR3700v2 - NU
UBNT loco M2 x2 - airOS

Broadcom
Linksys EA6400 - Gateway, QoS
Asus N66U - AP
Netgear WNDR3700v3 - not used
MediaTek
UBNT EdgeRouter X - switch
JakobIsMyName
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 16:35    Post subject: Re: WAN Port Reply with quote
ian5142 wrote:
Make sure the ethernet cable goes from the modem to a specially marked port on the router. It is usually a different colour, or marked WAN or Internet.

Hi

The router has been connected for a while with the default linksys firmware installed and worked fine. The only change now is that I have installed dd-wrt in stead of. So the connection is right. I have also tried to plug the internet cable now going from the ISP modem into the linksys router into my pc - which works just fine.

I have updated the question a bit.

Last edited by JakobIsMyName on Thu Dec 14, 2017 16:44; edited 1 time in total
JakobIsMyName
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 16:39    Post subject: Re: No internet connection Reply with quote
Quote:

Hi,

Connect to the router GUI, and go to the Settings / Basic Settings tab.
The first frame under WAN Setup is Wan Connection Type. Your problem lies with the settings in this frame.
In the drop down list for “Connection Type”, try selecting “DHCP”. (This is what your ISP wanted you to changej
Click on “Save” and “Apply Settings”

Open the tab Status / WAN to check your connection status.

Cheers

Hi

DHCP is already chosen. I have also tried to chose disable and then return to DHCP with no luck.

I have updated the question a bit.
ian5142
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 17:15    Post subject: Connection Type Reply with quote
This is the setting jxm is referring to on the Setup - Basic Setup page. You can only determine this setting by asking your ISP what connection type they use. If they don't give you a valid answer ask to talk to someone else, etc. If you are using a Cable modem, DHCP is common, DSL - PPPoE is common.

Some dd-wrt wiki pages are up to date, others are not. PM me if you find an old one.

Atheros:
TP-Link 841nd v8 - NU
D-Link 825 B1 - NU
Netgear WNDR3700v2 - NU
UBNT loco M2 x2 - airOS

Broadcom
Asus N66U - AP
MediaTek
JakobIsMyName
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 18:17    Post subject: Re: Connection Type Reply with quote
ian5142 wrote:
This is the setting jxm is referring to on the Setup - Basic Setup page. You can only determine this setting by asking your ISP what connection type they use. If they don't give you a valid answer ask to talk to someone else, etc. If you are using a Cable modem, DHCP is common, DSL - PPPoE is common.

Hi
I have talked with them and were told that it should be DHCP and that no other settings were needed. I guess that is also why linksys own default firmware works out of the box.
How does the pc know to use the internet when the router does not?
ian5142
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 18:40    Post subject: Settings Reply with quote
Change the router's ip address to 192.168.3.1, it may be because the modem and router are on the same ip address. Setup Tab - Basic Setup. Only change the "Local IP Address" on that page. Make sure to click Apply.

If that does not work. Go to Admin, then Factory Defaults. Click Enable, then click Apply. The router will reset all of its settings back to when you first put dd-wrt on it. You can access it at 192.168.1.1.

Just out of curiosity, ask your ISP what address the modem is at, even if you can't access it?

Atheros:
TP-Link 841nd v8 - NU
D-Link 825 B1 - NU
Netgear WNDR3700v2 - NU
UBNT loco M2 x2 - airOS

Broadcom
Asus N66U - AP
MediaTek
JakobIsMyName
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 18:52    Post subject: Re: Settings Reply with quote
ian5142 wrote:
Change the router's ip address to 192.168.3.1, it may be because the modem and router are on the same ip address. Setup Tab - Basic Setup. Only change the "Local IP Address" on that page. Make sure to click Apply.

If that does not work. Go to Admin, then Factory Defaults. Click Enable, then click Apply. The router will reset all of its settings back to when you first put dd-wrt on it. You can access it at 192.168.1.1.

Just out of curiosity, ask your ISP what address the modem is at, even if you can't access it?

Thanks I will try that and return with the results.
JakobIsMyName
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 20:16    Post subject: Re: Settings Reply with quote
ian5142 wrote:

I have just be trying your suggestion and generally playing around with the settings without much luck. If I understand it right, then the router should receive a WAN ip from the modem?

I see the following data in the top right corner:
Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r33986 (12/04/17)
Time: 01:15:23 up 15 min, load average: 0.01, 0.04, 0.00
WAN IP: 0.0.0.0

I once saw a wan ip like 192.168.1.0 for 2 seconds or se, before it became 0.0.0.0 again. I don't know if this helps. Otherwise just ask and I will try to find the data.
ian5142
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 21:45    Post subject: IP Address Reply with quote
Try changing the IP address of the dd-wrt router. Setup - Basic Setup page. Change the router's ip to 192.168.3.1. Only change the IP in the local IP address field of the page.

Atheros:
TP-Link 841nd v8 - NU
D-Link 825 B1 - NU
Netgear WNDR3700v2 - NU
UBNT loco M2 x2 - airOS

Broadcom
Asus N66U - AP
MediaTek
bmessy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 17:52    Post subject: Re: IP Address Reply with quote
ian5142 wrote:
Try changing the IP address of the dd-wrt router. Setup - Basic Setup page. Change the router's ip to 192.168.3.1. Only change the IP in the local IP address field of the page.

Dude thank you so much, this was the solution to the problem!
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 19:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sometimes it's IP address. Other times it's because DD-WRT changes the WAN mac address. All depends on what mode the ISP equipment is operating in.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: