NAS and company laptop running Windows 7

jujo_si
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:33    Post subject: NAS and company laptop running Windows 7 Reply with quote
Hello there,

I recently set up DD-WRT on my Asus AC66 B1 I used dd-wrt for AC68U. Then I attached external HDD to it and set up NAS

NAS is visible through my iPhone and through my Windows 7 home computer, In Network I see my router as "Bambi" (it's name) and after I get in I see my disk as "Seagate" (it's name) and I can read and write files.

My company laptop which runs Windows 7 does not see my router in network and does not see NAS. when I type "\\192.168.1.1" it cannot find the path, although the same works on my home computer.

I tried some tips from internet like

to check that Network discovery is on and File and printer sharing is on and Turn on sharing so everyone with network access can read ans write files in Public folders

..and changing the policy but my company laptop is in a domain and I cannot change these.

Is there something that I can try to make it work?
Is there some protocol that DD-WRT uses for NAS that is disabled on my company laptop?
Is there some firewall rule on the computer that is preventing Samba in dd-wrt to work?

Thanks in advance
Sponsor
tedm
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 15:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
A machine that is joined to a domain is under the control of GPO's that are sent out to it by the domain controller. One of those GPO's controls Windows Firewall and turns off File and Print Sharing on non-domain networks. (aka workgroup-style networks)

If you login to your company laptop as Local Administrator you can go into Control Panel, Windows Firewall, Inbound Rules, and turn on all of the File and Print sharing rules for Private networks. Then you can change your network to a Private network in Control Panel, Network and Sharing Center. When you log back into the domain the Domain Controller will likely change these all back, of course.

Logging into your machine as a local admin is up to your company's IT system admin. If I were your admin I would go ahead and create a local user ID on your company machine and show you how to login to the machine with it so you could do this. Another trick is adding the Domain Users group into your Local Administrators group on your company laptop. Some companies consider this a security hole because if the user gets a virus on the system it will trash the laptop. If the user is restricted to logging into the laptop as a standard user not a local admin then a virus will be blocked from accessing stuff like the boot sector and other places they like to hide in and will only trash the user's profile on the laptop, which can be deleted and re-created.
jujo_si
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 20:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the reply,

I checked, I am an admin on that machine and my windows firewall is turned off, still in

Windows Firewall >> Allowed Programs

for "File and Printer Sharing" I had

Domain - Off
Home/Work (Private) - On
Public - On

I put Domain to On and I saw BAMBI in Network then I clicked on it and it asked me for user/password, I typed my domain user and password and I saw the NAS disk

Thank you so much, my problem is now solved!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: