New Build 33986 for DIR-868L & DIR-880L

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
quarkysg
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
FurryNutz wrote:

One other question the TX power setting. What is the default power value when in AUTO? is it 71mW? What setting do you use on yours? Ive been reading that some have set to a lower value to help reduce some errors and connection issues. Im currently testing 38mW. I'm still seeing some odd ball connection issues with NEST and my iphone seems like on 2.4ghz using single mode N or mixed G/N with manual channel 11, 40Mhz and WPA2 Personal and AES only when using Auto TX power. I supposed I should try Auto modes again and see. Confused

My router's wireless interface txpwr option is set to Auto, which the last I checked will be set to max power, which for the DIR-868L is 1500mW, or that's what the 'wl' utility tells me anyway. You can check using the following command:

wl -i eth1 txpwr
wl -i eth2 txpwr

For the DIR-880L, max is 1000mW.

There're a lot of discussion on setting the max txpwr to a very low value, like 71mW or something like that, which I think probably will severely limit your router to serve clients if its far away. I would suggest to just leave it to Auto.
Sponsor
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
quarkysg wrote:
egc wrote:
@Quarkysg, I use your shortcut-fe.ko, but on the latest Kong build 34015 from 9-dec it is not working, when I try to rmmod it the router even reboots.

Can you have look? I am using Policy Based routing and it was working flawless in older builds

The commit by BS @ r33987 changed one of the data structure used by the shortcut-fe.ko module. Kong's build included that change, so the driver I uploaded compiled using r33986 sources will cause Kong firmware's kernel to panic when loaded, as the driver will poke into incorrect memory location.

Use the attached .ko and see if it resolves your issue.

@Quarkysg, your newly compiled shortcut-fe module works now with builds 33986 and thereafter (tested on Kong's build 34015).

I will update the ticket accordingly

Great job, your efforts are really appreciated !

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
FurryNutz
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 21:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, thank you for this.

I've set mine to 600mW for now. Getting greater wifi now on all devices. I presume that maybe for me and my router, max mW could have been playing a bad role. It's known that using max mW can be bad and not good for the router HW over time and only makes the wifi worse in some cases. I tested with your code and ya, it's the same Max mW. Switching to manual inputs 71 which is a bit low. So I played with some values. Looking at 600mW seems to be solid for me now.

I'll check on upgrading FW today...

quarkysg wrote:
FurryNutz wrote:

One other question the TX power setting. What is the default power value when in AUTO? is it 71mW? What setting do you use on yours? Ive been reading that some have set to a lower value to help reduce some errors and connection issues. Im currently testing 38mW. I'm still seeing some odd ball connection issues with NEST and my iphone seems like on 2.4ghz using single mode N or mixed G/N with manual channel 11, 40Mhz and WPA2 Personal and AES only when using Auto TX power. I supposed I should try Auto modes again and see. Confused

My router's wireless interface txpwr option is set to Auto, which the last I checked will be set to max power, which for the DIR-868L is 1500mW, or that's what the 'wl' utility tells me anyway. You can check using the following command:

wl -i eth1 txpwr
wl -i eth2 txpwr

There're a lot of discussion on setting the max txpwr to a very low value, like 71mW or something like that, which I think probably will severely limit your router to serve clients if its far away. I would suggest to just leave it to Auto.
FurryNutz
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quarkysg,
So i noticed that all 3 of my cameras and 2 NEST controllers went off line at 5:31Pm this evening. I'm connected on my Mac Book pro and iphone on 5Ghz. Just noticed this at 7:45pm...

Looking at the wifi SSID scans, the 2.4Ghz SSID is not appearing the scan. 5Ghz and LAN cable connections are working. Had been playing Xbox gaming with 2nd xbox online wired. Saw no gaming issues.

Here is last items in the syslog taken from syslog tab:
Dec 10 08:51:42 DIR-868LA1DD-WRT kern.info kernel: br0: port 2(eth1) entered forwarding state
Dec 10 08:51:42 DIR-868LA1DD-WRT kern.info kernel: br0: port 3(eth2) entered forwarding state
Dec 10 08:53:10 DIR-868LA1DD-WRT kern.warn kernel: br0: received packet on eth1 with own address as source address
Dec 10 08:53:11 DIR-868LA1DD-WRT kern.warn kernel: br0: received packet on eth1 with own address as source address

The following was marked in Yellow.
Dec 10 22:03:31 DIR-868LA1DD-WRT kern.warn kernel: ucode revision 928.10006
Dec 10 22:03:31 DIR-868LA1DD-WRT kern.warn kernel: wl0: PSM microcode watchdog fired at 79628 (seconds)
Dec 10 22:03:31 DIR-868LA1DD-WRT kern.warn kernel: wl0: psmdebug 0x00ff8c4e, phydebug 0x00000000, psm_brc 0x0300 psm_brc_1 0x0040maccontrol 0x84160403 ifsstat 0x00af m_cts_duration 0x0000 m_ucode_dbgst 0x0002
Dec 10 22:03:31 DIR-868LA1DD-WRT kern.warn kernel: wepctl 0x0770, pcmctl 0x0309, pcmstat 0x0000
Dec 10 22:03:31 DIR-868LA1DD-WRT kern.warn kernel: M_RXFRM_BLK scr(0:63) btc_params(0:63) PC ampdu clk off
Dec 10 23:31:31 DIR-868LA1DD-WRT kern.warn kernel: ucode revision 928.10006
Dec 10 23:31:31 DIR-868LA1DD-WRT kern.warn kernel: wl0: PSM microcode watchdog fired at 84858 (seconds)
Dec 10 23:31:31 DIR-868LA1DD-WRT kern.warn kernel: wl0: psmdebug 0x00ff8c4b, phydebug 0x00000000, psm_brc 0x0300 psm_brc_1 0x0040maccontrol 0x84160403 ifsstat 0x00af m_cts_duration 0x0000 m_ucode_dbgst 0x0002
Dec 10 23:31:31 DIR-868LA1DD-WRT kern.warn kernel: wepctl 0x0770, pcmctl 0x0309, pcmstat 0x0000

This is with v33772 still loaded.
RadioRadio is On
Mode AP
Network NG-Mixed
SSID Airport Extreme
Channel 11 + 9
TX Power 596 mW
Rate72 Mbps
Encryption - Interface wl0 Enabled, WPA2 Personal

Doing a reboot on the router brings the 2.4Ghz SSID name back...Had been online since yesterday after configuring TX PWR.
FurryNutz
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
So so after I rebooted the router to recover the 2.4Ghz radio. I went down and took a shower and came back up. Noticed that my roommate had gone to bed. Odd. He had been watching Netflix.

I was watching some tv and started fiddling with my phone. Noticed that it didn't get any data. Hmm. Looked at my cameras and NEST. All where off line at 8:42pm. Couldn't access internet from Mac book either. Went to my desk for a wired PC, no internet nor access to router UI. Lordy what now? Probably why roommate had gone to bed. Embarassed

Tried telnet and nothing. Both LEDs on 868L were green. Noticed that the switch right off the router that has two xboxes connected was constantly blinking however both xboxes were OFF. I un plugged it and then back in. Blinking stopped. However nothing I was looking at was getting internet. Mac Book was connected to 5Ghz along with phone. But nothing.

So, lets see if OEM FW exhibits same issues. I've gone back to v1.12 on the 868L and set up same SSIDs and configurations I had on WRT less the TX power settings.

Not sure what is causing this router hang/crash on WRT. Wondering if there is a over load of devices being triggered or something. I do have about 10-12 wireless devices and about 15 wired devices.

Im going to let the OEM FW run for a few days. If all is stable, i'll come back to WRT and go directly to your v33986 Embarassed
a_pikachu
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 18:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
quarkysg wrote:

wl -i eth1 txpwr
wl -i eth2 txpwr

My DIR-880L Rev A with 33772 showing the Auto setting would have the power set to 1500mW. Should I manually force it to run below 1000mW?
quarkysg
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 21:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
a_pikachu wrote:
quarkysg wrote:

wl -i eth1 txpwr
wl -i eth2 txpwr

My DIR-880L Rev A with 33772 showing the Auto setting would have the power set to 1500mW. Should I manually force it to run below 1000mW?

I wouldn’t worry about it. Just leave it at auto.
quarkysg
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 21:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
FurryNutz wrote:
So so after I rebooted the router to recover the 2.4Ghz radio. I went down and took a shower and came back up. Noticed that my roommate had gone to bed. Odd. He had been watching Netflix.

I was watching some tv and started fiddling with my phone. Noticed that it didn't get any data. Hmm. Looked at my cameras and NEST. All where off line at 8:42pm. Couldn't access internet from Mac book either. Went to my desk for a wired PC, no internet nor access to router UI. Lordy what now? Probably why roommate had gone to bed. Embarassed

Tried telnet and nothing. Both LEDs on 868L were green. Noticed that the switch right off the router that has two xboxes connected was constantly blinking however both xboxes were OFF. I un plugged it and then back in. Blinking stopped. However nothing I was looking at was getting internet. Mac Book was connected to 5Ghz along with phone. But nothing.

So, lets see if OEM FW exhibits same issues. I've gone back to v1.12 on the 868L and set up same SSIDs and configurations I had on WRT less the TX power settings.

Not sure what is causing this router hang/crash on WRT. Wondering if there is a over load of devices being triggered or something. I do have about 10-12 wireless devices and about 15 wired devices.

Im going to let the OEM FW run for a few days. If all is stable, i'll come back to WRT and go directly to your v33986 Embarassed

When you go back to DD-WRT firmware for your 868L, use r25964’s factory-to-ddwrt.bin image, reset and go straight to my latest r33986a image. Skip all the intermediate builds. No need to flash with a corresponding full web flash of the same version. You’ll just wear out your router’s NAND flash without any benefit gained.

I suspect later builds, including 30432 is messing up the 868L’s NVRAM.

My 868L is upgraded using that path and it seems stable serving as a home router, with about 10+ wireless clients, including 3 IP cameras and all 4 LAN ports used, with one being an IPTV box.
FurryNutz
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 0:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK, wil give your process a try. Router has been stable all day on OEM FW. No problems.

I'll give this a try this week. Wink

quarkysg wrote:

When you go back to DD-WRT firmware for your 868L, use r25964’s factory-to-ddwrt.bin image, reset and go straight to my latest r33986a image. Skip all the intermediate builds. No need to flash with a corresponding full web flash of the same version. You’ll just wear out your router’s NAND flash without any benefit gained.

I suspect later builds, including 30432 is messing up the 868L’s NVRAM.

My 868L is upgraded using that path and it seems stable serving as a home router, with about 10+ wireless clients, including 3 IP cameras and all 4 LAN ports used, with one being an IPTV box.
FurryNutz
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok. So heres what I did:
Disconnected my two line switches from router and wired PC to the router.

Loaded the r25964 in the OEM ui. I saw the router restart. Seem to load fairly quickly. I noticed that the WRT UI was the same as before and had retained my settings from last time I had WRT. Seemed odd. So I reset the r25964 and then got in with the new cleared UI. Loaded your r33986a image file with the factory reset included. All was good. I configured a few things on the router, disabled DNS Relay, enabled USB. Set TXPwr to 800mW. Mixed mode, wpa2 and aes only. Manual channels. 40Mhz on 2.4 and 80Mhz on 5ghz. Set router IP from 192.168.1.1 to .0.1.

I saw two router hangs with in 15 minutes after I had plugged in my two network switches which have other wired devices connected at other placed around the house. They had been disconnected for over 5 minutes so I presume there timeout should have expired for remote devices. I removed one of the line switches and power cycled the router. Router seemed stable. Thinking that maybe something on my network switches down the line was maybe causing a IP collision with the router or something to cause this router to hang, I plugged in the 2nd line switch which handles all my DISH network devices. I started to do some reservations and got to setting up some reservations for my 2 NEST controllers and again the router hung up after applying testings. I made sure IPs where not in use before appying settings. Again I had to power cycle the router. Reservations were set ok and stuck after the router came back online.

I'm wondering if there is something on a existing network line switch connected with remote devices that when all reconnected to the WRT router, causes the router to stop and hang for some reason. Something in DHCP maybe thats crashing due to all of a sudden having so many devices connect all at once. Shocked
I haven't seen this on OEM FW. I do similar process of disconnecting all switches and devices accept for one LAN PC when doing FW updates and testing the router before reconnecting the main switches with everything else back to the router. Never seen a router hang on OEM FW.

So far after a few reboots and getting a few reservations set. I believe the router is stable currently. I'll check on this in the morning. Hope its still running or i'll have hell to pay. Embarassed
quarkysg
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
FurryNutz wrote:
Ok. So heres what I did:
Disconnected my two line switches from router and wired PC to the router.

Loaded the r25964 in the OEM ui. I saw the router restart. Seem to load fairly quickly. I noticed that the WRT UI was the same as before and had retained my settings from last time I had WRT. Seemed odd. So I reset the r25964 and then got in with the new cleared UI. Loaded your r33986a image file with the factory reset included. All was good. I configured a few things on the router, disabled DNS Relay, enabled USB. Set TXPwr to 800mW. Mixed mode, wpa2 and aes only. Manual channels. 40Mhz on 2.4 and 80Mhz on 5ghz. Set router IP from 192.168.1.1 to .0.1.

I saw two router hangs with in 15 minutes after I had plugged in my two network switches which have other wired devices connected at other placed around the house. They had been disconnected for over 5 minutes so I presume there timeout should have expired for remote devices. I removed one of the line switches and power cycled the router. Router seemed stable. Thinking that maybe something on my network switches down the line was maybe causing a IP collision with the router or something to cause this router to hang, I plugged in the 2nd line switch which handles all my DISH network devices. I started to do some reservations and got to setting up some reservations for my 2 NEST controllers and again the router hung up after applying testings. I made sure IPs where not in use before appying settings. Again I had to power cycle the router. Reservations were set ok and stuck after the router came back online.

I'm wondering if there is something on a existing network line switch connected with remote devices that when all reconnected to the WRT router, causes the router to stop and hang for some reason. Something in DHCP maybe thats crashing due to all of a sudden having so many devices connect all at once. Shocked
I haven't seen this on OEM FW. I do similar process of disconnecting all switches and devices accept for one LAN PC when doing FW updates and testing the router before reconnecting the main switches with everything else back to the router. Never seen a router hang on OEM FW.

So far after a few reboots and getting a few reservations set. I believe the router is stable currently. I'll check on this in the morning. Hope its still running or i'll have hell to pay. Embarassed

Without you describing in detail your network setup at home, it's hard to pin-point the issue. I would say your setup is not typical. Most would only have a single router connected to their broadband link.

You could have a routing loop if you routers and switches are serving different network segments.

Try turning on STP.
FurryNutz
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, I probably need to specify my configuration.

It is fairly typical. The 868L is behind a stand alone cable modem. Off the 868L is three switches, two daisy chained and one stand alone which as all my DISH devices. I have an wired AP at the other end of the house that provides internet for 1 PC and DISH Joey is all.

The 868L is the main host router and primary wireless for all other devices accept for the remote location of two devices there.

Ok found STP and enabled it. Will see if this does anything differently.
Adamcarter
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 15:05    Post subject: Re: New Build 33986 for DIR-868L & DIR-880L Reply with quote
Hi quarkysg

I want to add your SFE fixes to my 3200acm router running the latest BS firmware.

the linux listed is

Linksys WRT3200ACM
Firmware Version DD-WRT v3.0-r34056 std (12/12/17)
Kernel VersionLinux 4.9.68 #82 SMP Tue Dec 12 07:28:25 CET 2017 armv7l

Will it still work. You only mention linux 4.4.x

thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 18:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, so router was still online this morning and still on line as of now. Only one NEST which is the farthest away from router isn't connected. I'll try bumping up the mW and see if it re-connects. It had been connected this morning however stopped.

I think after getting items set up last nite and doing a couple of power cycles. the router is stable for the most part. SFE and STP are enabled. Seems good. I'll do some xbox gaming this evening and see if I notice anything else.

Where did you get the DIR-868L r25964 Factory2WRT file from exactly? Can't find it in the Betas section...

quarkysg wrote:

Without you describing in detail your network setup at home, it's hard to pin-point the issue. I would say your setup is not typical. Most would only have a single router connected to their broadband link.

You could have a routing loop if you routers and switches are serving different network segments.

Try turning on STP.
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 19:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
A good starting point is the supported devices wiki:
https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices#D-Link
There is an install guide for your router and all builds can be found at: ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 5
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: