5GHZ channel missing on some devices... Stumped. SOLVED :*)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
James Greystone
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 0:50    Post subject: 5GHZ channel missing on some devices... Stumped. SOLVED :*) Reply with quote
Router Netgear 7800

Firmware. DDWRT Brainslayer

Current Firmware R45420

Not sure when it stopped working for this device, but other 5ghz networks are showing, and the Modem my cable company provides the 5ghz is showing up.

For some reason the Netgear 5ghz doesn't show up in the one device, and I have pretty much basic settings and have tried different channels just to be sure.

The same channels I have tried using the cable company modem shows up fine so something isn't right in the Netgear.

Any thoughts on what I may try and tweak on the Netgear?

Last edited by James Greystone on Fri Jan 15, 2021 0:18; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
We're stumped too...

to help, you need to provide a lot more detail about what the client is for us to help direct you....

make, model, approximate year, os, etc
router settings...

my best guess is that it's an older device.
If yes, probably need to run straight mixed mode on the wifi...but again, no details at all...

garbage in/ garbage out.

TIPS/TRICKS: Best QCA Wifi Settings | Latency tricks | QoS Port priority | NEVER USE MU-MIMO |
Why to NOT use MU-MIMO | Max Wifi Pwr by Country | Linux Wifi Pwr | AC MCS & AX MCS | QCA 5Ghz chnls to use | WIFI Freq WIKI | TFTP R7800 | Don't buy AX | IPERF3 How-To

[R9000]52396 nightly (Main Router)
[EA8500]43192 & 45493 (2xOffsite)
[R7800] resting
[WDR3600]BS 44715 (Offsite)
[A7v5]BS 43038 (Offsite+spare napping)
James Greystone
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
msoengineer wrote:
We're stumped too...

to help, you need to provide a lot more detail about what the client is for us to help direct you....

make, model, approximate year, os, etc
router settings...

my best guess is that it's an older device.
If yes, probably need to run straight mixed mode on the wifi...but again, no details at all...

garbage in/ garbage out.

Actually a newer device Formuler GTV (2021) running Android 9.0.

It sees all the other 5GHZ signals but the one from my own Netgear R7800.

The settings for wifi are the ones that you suggest in your sticky post. I did try mixed mode to no avail.

Might be fine to do a complete reset for the new year.

Last edited by James Greystone on Thu Jan 14, 2021 13:34; edited 1 time in total
abeaty
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:54    Post subject: Re: 5GHZ channel missing on some devices... Stumped. Reply with quote
James Greystone wrote:
Router Netgear 7800

Current Firmware R45420

Not sure when it stopped working for this device, but other 5ghz networks are showing, and the Modem my cable company provides the 5ghz is showing up.

For some reason the Netgear 5ghz doesn't show up in the one device, and I have pretty much basic settings and have tried different channels just to be sure.

The same channels I have tried using the cable company modem shows up fine so something isn't right in the Netgear.

If you stand right next to the netgear, does your phone "see" the 5Ghz device? If so, try increasing the transmit power.

If not, then the 5Ghz signal is probably not being transmitted. Double check your settings.
James Greystone
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 13:16    Post subject: Re: 5GHZ channel missing on some devices... Stumped. Reply with quote
abeaty wrote:
James Greystone wrote:
Router Netgear 7800

Current Firmware R45420

If you stand right next to the netgear, does your phone "see" the 5Ghz device? If so, try increasing the transmit power.

If not, then the 5Ghz signal is probably not being transmitted. Double check your settings.

The phone is fine connecting to 5ghz, only the one device. Thanks
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 13:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Change your channel selection to unii 1 channels, most likely the gtv is region locked and can't see band 3 or unii 3 channels. This is very common in cheap shit driver/chips used in these low cost devices. Or ask GTV if they can unlock bands...otherwise you'll need root to change android is settings, and you'll need to research how to do that.

TIPS/TRICKS: Best QCA Wifi Settings | Latency tricks | QoS Port priority | NEVER USE MU-MIMO |
Why to NOT use MU-MIMO | Max Wifi Pwr by Country | Linux Wifi Pwr | AC MCS & AX MCS | QCA 5Ghz chnls to use | WIFI Freq WIKI | TFTP R7800 | Don't buy AX | IPERF3 How-To

[R7800] resting
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 14:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
James Greystone wrote:
Might be fine to do a complete reset for the new year.

This. +1 Chuck Norris thumbs up.
James Greystone
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 14:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
msoengineer wrote:
Change your channel selection to unii 1 channels, most likely the gtv is region locked and can't see band 3 or unii 3 channels. This is very common in cheap shit driver/chips used in these low cost devices. Or ask GTV if they can unlock bands...otherwise you'll need root to change android is settings, and you'll need to research how to do that.

Lol 😂 it cost a bomb.

I will give that a try, also realized but not sure it matters is I set up a static ip, may delete that and see if it matters.

Will report back
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 14:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, channels 36 to 48 are worth the try to see if your devices only allow connection to lower channels.
bushant
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 14:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
msoengineer wrote:
probably need to run straight mixed mode on the wifi

👍
I have 2 Linux clients that only see the wifi if it is set to Mixed. No other settings seem to matter.

Before asking for help - Read the forum guidelines AND Upgrade DD-WRT!
Adblock by eibgrad (1.1M blocked) + Blocklist Collection

blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 14:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
I hope modes are fixed next build. Using mixed here, but certainly one of the known problems post r447xx.

Good things are happening in SVN recently, so fingers crossed.

@bushant Saw your ticket about fixing GUI, good find (use defaults on Protection Mode and RTS Threshold).
James Greystone
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 23:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
So as suggested I changed the Wireless Network Mode to Mixed from AC/N mixed and the 5ghz is once again showing up.

Not sure when something changed in the build but for now as long as it works I am happy to not have to start from scratch.

Thanks again for all the great help in the forum.
James Greystone
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 23:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
bushant wrote:
msoengineer wrote:
probably need to run straight mixed mode on the wifi

👍
I have 2 Linux clients that only see the wifi if it is set to Mixed. No other settings seem to matter.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
@James Greystone, would you consider helping me so I might be able to have some more to discuss with BS the dev when I talk to him?

I would request of you to backup your settings in 45420 and then reset back to factory defaults, go back to 44715(will read as 44719 after installed) and re-enter all your settings again, manually (restoring a backup will spawn nvram gremlins), and then see if you still have the same issue with the wifi when set to AC/N mixed only?

If you do have the same issue, then I would say this is a client issue and would need to run some terminal emulator commands on the GTV to see what type of wifi drivers are installed and/or what wifi modes are supported by the chipset.

Mixed mode adds 802.11a support.
this is legacy standard supporting only up to 54mbps MCS connection rates. What is the GTV reporting right now for connection rate on 45420? If you are seeing this rate now, then I have no other conclusion that your rather expensive streaming box is using a shitty/cheap 802.11a wifi chipset. Otherwise if the rates are being reported as 866mbps then it means something else in the code is wrong and that's why I want to see what is happening at 44715 vs 44520... this may help us track down where the bug really is; which a few other users have now reported.

Just make sure the router and GTV are close enough to achieve full strength signals or it will be really hard to tell what's up. I'll have to google around for running shell commands in terminal emulator, as I'm no linux guru, to provide more troubleshooting steps depending on what you report back. This is going to get very interesting if you choose to help so I appreciate your contribution if you decide to help out All users.

[R7800] resting
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: