Configuring 5Ghz radio via command line ?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
spaceghost
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 22:04    Post subject: Configuring 5Ghz radio via command line ? Reply with quote
Anyone here can help advise on how to configure and manually set channels for the 5Ghz radio on Broadcom devices using CLI ?

I'm trying to do it on a AC68U and AC87U and I have had success working with the 2.4ghz radio using the wl command. However, I can't get any access to the 5Ghz radio.

I've read through the wiki for the wl command and nothing there works for 5ghz.

I've tried calling the device using -i and -a switches and it works for 2.4ghz when calling eth1, but there is no eth2 or eth0 even linked to the 5ghz radio. So I can't even call the status?
Sponsor
spaceghost
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 22:32    Post subject: Re: Configuring 5Ghz radio via command line ? Reply with quote
spaceghost wrote:
Anyone here can help advise on how to configure and manually set channels for the 5Ghz radio on Broadcom devices using CLI ?

I'm trying to do it on a AC68U and AC87U and I have had success working with the 2.4ghz radio using the wl command. However, I can't get any access to the 5Ghz radio.

I've read through the wiki for the wl command and nothing there works for 5ghz.

I've tried calling the device using -i and -a switches and it works for 2.4ghz when calling eth1, but there is no eth2 or eth0 even linked to the 5ghz radio. So I can't even call the status?

Well, it looks like the problem is th 87U actually. There doesn't seem to be any way to call 5GHZ adapter. I was able to do it on the 68U.

Buying this 87U is the worst decision I have ever made in 10 years of using dd-wrt....
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Does either have the same SSID for both radios? Just wondering, because 'wl status' doesn't seem to show 2.4GHz radio for me. Wondering if it's a wlconfig issue, too. There are some issues that the next build is supposed to address, mostly related to VAPs, but could possibly fix this issue as well.
spaceghost
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Does either have the same SSID for both radios? Just wondering, because 'wl status' doesn't seem to show 2.4GHz radio for me. Wondering if it's a wlconfig issue, too. There are some issues that the next build is supposed to address, mostly related to VAPs, but could possibly fix this issue as well.

If you run wl status it only shows whatever seems to be the default wl adapter. You have to call the correct adapter and, as best I can tell, the easiest way to do that is run ifconfig and then figure out which eth adapter is assigned to each radio/channel/vap.

So you want to run

wl -i eth1 status

but replace eth1 as appropriate for your config.

The problem I have is this stup Quantenna setup on this RT-AC87U doesn't even get listed via ifconfig - there's some kind of weird lowerlever bridging happening with that interface. I don't know if it's just that dd-wrt hasn't been coded/tooled to address that or if it's fundamental design issue. Knowing what I know now, I certainly wouldn't blame brainslayer or other devs for putting this router into the 'too hard' basket.

At this particular moment the 5ghz adapter is so dead on this unit that I can't even get it to work at all. I'm putting merlin wrt back on it and using it as a bridge or I will resell it to someone who doesn't need to use it with dd-wrt.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 14:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
I feel stupid because I completely forgot about using the -i switch with wl. I had a wonderful reply post written, but apparently the forum ate it. ANYHOW, Merlin might be a better option as OpenWRT doesn't support both wi-fi radios 100% and there is NO flavor of Tomato for that device.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: