Slow internet with a Linksys WRT54GL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
kizuxtheo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:18    Post subject: Slow internet with a Linksys WRT54GL Reply with quote
If I connect my PC directly to the modem, I have good internet speed, but when I connect it to my router, I get maybe a third of that internet speed. I don't really know if the environment has anything to do since I connect my PC directly to the router with an Ethernet cable, and still get bad internet speeds.

Quote:
Router Model Linksys WRT54G/GL/GS

Firmware Version DD-WRT v24-sp2 (10/10/09) micro - build 13064

I'm new to DD-WRT, I had this router eons ago, and my sister went to a technician to give it use as a repeater (and had to install DD-WRT), I'm pretty sure it's a really old build, and if I should update it, please make sure to include all the info of how I should do it.

EDIT: I also have a crappy Tenda router, and I still get slow internet speeds with that router, even thought, several months back, those routers worked great. I have also done several factory reset to both routers to no avail.
Sponsor
kizuxtheo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:58    Post subject: Re: Slow internet with a Linksys WRT54GL Reply with quote
d0ug wrote:
You don't say what the speed is when you are directly connected to the modem and then what speed you get though the router.

None the less, the WRT54G series are ancient routers, they have slow 200ish MHZ CPUs. They cannot handle routing more than about 30-40ish mbps. There is nothing you are going to be able to do to fix that other than get a more modern router with a faster CPU that can handle routing faster speeds.

My bad for not including it. I normally get 250kbps (download speed) through the modem and 100 kbps at max through the router. And yes, I live in the country with the slowest internet speeds confirmed (Venezuela). It might be the shittiest router, but it should be more than enough for the speeds we get here. In fact, this and my previous router could output full speed, and can no longer do it.
PowerPoldi
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've had similar issues with my "antique" WRT54-GL in former days.

After disabling QOS-feature, I got my speed back. Looks like CPU-power of the device isn't good enough for QOS.

So try disabling QOS first!

Furthermore, your dd-wrt-build is quite outdated. Think of upgrading!
jwh7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 0:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
How old is this router? I ask because they are still sold new now, sadly. One easy thing to try is overclocking to 250 MHz; those chips were originally spec'd for it.
d0ug wrote:
try popping the router open and check for bulging capacitors by the power jack. If they are bulging, replace them with like value capacitors. I've seen all kinds of weird issues with older routers that were resolved by just one of these steps.
Tru dat...every old WRT54* I had (older than my GSv6) needed its caps replaced (high ESR), but unfortunately...none of them were bulging nor leaking.

The speed limit is due to lack of the accelerated NAT driver, which is only in the proprietary broadcom driver (DD's SFE accelerated NAT is only in 3.10+ kernels); the caveat would be running old OEM firmware.

|FreshTomato: F7D8302@532|OpenWRT: F9K1119v1, RT-ACRH13, R6220, WNDR3700v4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: