How high do antennas go in gain?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods
xNotta
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:36    Post subject: How high do antennas go in gain? Reply with quote
I want to buy a new set of omni antennas for my router and USB adapter.
I found a bunch of 9-21dbi antennas, but like every generic... There's a bit of exaggeration.
I have my high gain panels, parabolic, and brand name omnis already, but can never have enough.
I also need dual band. 2.4/5.8.

What dbi omni antenna rating is the highest I can get that's truly advertised gain?

Buffalo WZR-600DHP - Atheros AR7161 - DD-WRT Beta
ASUS WL-520gU - Broadcom BCM5354 - Retired
Sponsor
danielwritesback
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
The outdoor antenna market has less brags. Insist on getting the physical size specs. When comparing two of 15dbi omni's, the longer one is probably serious, and the shorter one is 12dbi, despite negligible price difference. Also mind the reviews.

For a dual band, 2.4/5.8 omni to those specs, it is going to be really huge--they have to stack enough elements to be sure of performance.
It seems that price ranges are from $200 to $4000, dual band really knackers the price and effort, and you might be looking for a 9 foot long wifi antenna.

Might you rather use a long cat6 cable with an additional AP to accomplish those range goals more cost effectively?
Might a WDS solution do adequately?
Or, how do you feel about a much cheaper directional antenna?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: