configure the modem to tunnel all traffic though ssh tunnel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> General Questions
hcoolh
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:29    Post subject: configure the modem to tunnel all traffic though ssh tunnel Reply with quote
I know about SSH tunneling and I always do it (to a remote SSH server) using PuTTY (or ssh -D when I'm on Linux) to stay anonymous while web surfing (i.e. by setting my browser's proxy settings to connect to PuTTY's SOCKS5 proxy).

Now I want to somehow configure my ADSL2+ modem to do this, so that all the devices connected to the modem (such as my TV, my Android phone, google home, etc.) enjoy this anonymity (i.e. so that all of them have the same IP address as my "remote SSH server") and besides I won't have to change my browser's proxy settings anymore.

Does DD-WRT support this and if yes how can I do it?
Many thanks in advance
Sponsor
tedm
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
You need to setup a VPN to your remote server. You can do SSH vpns. But you will need to find a VPN server that does SSH.

We see this a lot from users in China trying to get around the Great Firewall. Needless to say the Chinese government tracks the public VPN servers and as soon as they identify one they block it's IP address. Then the public server shifts to a different IP and the cat-and-mouse game starts all over again.
hcoolh
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the suggestions!
That's right I want to get around Internet censorship.

The problem is that the remote ssh server to which I currently have access only supports ssh tunneling and I can't change it (I don't have the necessary permissions)

Apart from your suggested solution (i.e. paying for an AWS server or any other VPS for that matter), what other solution do I have?

I am surprised that DD-WRT does not support such a relatively easy feature when it has internal support for ssh. I mean, are you 100% sure that I can't do this type of ssh tunneling
with DD-WRT?
I don't want to pay when there's a way to do this w/o paying!

Thank you again for your time and attention.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: