DD-WRT OpenVPN guide for complete dummies

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Boogalooz
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
mercury187 wrote:
Good guide but a couple of questions:
Shouldn't you have to do some kind of port forwarding on your main router that the DD-WRT server router connects to?

Covered in "Step- 10"
Sponsor
mercury187
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
following your guide and I got here:
Back in the command prompt type (in order):
init-config.bat (enter).

c:\Program Files\OpenVPN\easy-rsa>copy vars.bat.sample vars.bat
1 file(s) copied.

it just overwrote my vars.bat so if i run the previous notepad command the 2048 is now back at 4096. I'm assuming this is not desired?

Also, got stuck at step 4:
Certificate is to be certified until Nov 5 04:36:56 2027 GMT (3650 days)
Sign the certificate? [y/n]:y
failed to update database
TXT_DB error number 2
Could Not Find c:\Program Files\OpenVPN\easy-rsa\keys\*.old

c:\Program Files\OpenVPN\easy-rsa>

It created some client1 files but client1.crt is 0 file size so I guess I am completely stuck..
Boogalooz
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
mercury187 wrote:
following your guide and I got here:
Back in the command prompt type (in order):
init-config.bat (enter).

c:\Program Files\OpenVPN\easy-rsa>copy vars.bat.sample vars.bat
1 file(s) copied.

it just overwrote my vars.bat so if i run the previous notepad command the 2048 is now back at 4096. I'm assuming this is not desired?

This is why I included the step that has you open vars.bat with notepad from within the command prompt.

You are correct that the 4096 is not desirable, so change it while in the command prompt and in notepad and save it.

mercury187 wrote:
Also, got stuck at step 4:
Certificate is to be certified until Nov 5 04:36:56 2027 GMT (3650 days)
Sign the certificate? [y/n]:y
failed to update database
TXT_DB error number 2
Could Not Find c:\Program Files\OpenVPN\easy-rsa\keys\*.old

c:\Program Files\OpenVPN\easy-rsa>

It created some client1 files but client1.crt is 0 file size so I guess I am completely stuck..

When you get that error, it usually means that you started the process and then bounced out of the command prompt somehow. That happened to me a few times while I was figuring all of this out. I was always able to get it to succeed by to the "cd C:\Program Files\OpenVPN\easy-rsa" (enter) command and then immediately typing vars.bat (enter) again, and then running the build-key client1 command again.

When all else fails, exit completely out of the command prompt, then launch it again as administrator, and then just run: "cd C:\Program Files\OpenVPN\easy-rsa" (no quotes/enter) then "vars.bat" (no quotes/enter) followed by "build-key clientX" (no quotes/enter) commands and it will generally complete with no failed returns.

The system is set up so that you can come back in at any time and generate new client keys. Sometimes the command prompt gets hung up...
mercury187
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
I re-ran the steps to create all the key related files with Cygwin in the steps found here: https://www.sparklabs.com/support/kb/article/creating-certificates-and-keys-for-your-openvpn-server/

And the copied the data where it needed to be using your guide and I was able to successfully connect to my dd-wrt. One problem I have though is that I wish to have all my traffic going through the vpn link on the client side so when my client connects to the openvpn server I get the dd-wrt public IP address etc (nothing on the LAN side). Does anyone know how to accomplish this?
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
egc wrote:
On the WAP disable the firewall and use the firewall rule from @mrjcd for natting the VPN.

One thing I am not sure about is setting the WAP as a router, I always leave it in gateway mode, seems to work also Smile

Yea usually work either way but proper WAP should be 'router' mode.
Prolly doesn't matter -- there is nothing there to NAT if left in gateway mode and any added interface outside of its LAN would have to be setup thru DNSMasq anyways.
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
igornvaladares wrote:
egc wrote:
Yes (although there were versions which were empty because of a bug, but I do not think this is one of them), when it stays empty the server does not start indicating a serious error in your settings, the first thing to look at are the certificates

Thank you
I used this tutorial:
With the same version of openVPN.

I tried several other ways, but nothing appears in STATUS
Is it a bug in this version?

Yea they were a string of builds that had NO working ovpn status but AFAIK that has been
resolved on all routers with build after r32170.

If you have the ovpn router setup as a WAP make sure its
Start Type = 'System' a WAP has NO WAN so it cannot very well start at 'WAN Up'

For an ovpn server embedded somewheres within your network the WAP solution is probably the best
and easiest and also allows you the extra wifi for clients on same subnet as main plus extra switch ports.

You can also use any router that supports ovpn and run it as regular gateway anywhere within your main network with a LAN cable plugged into its WAN. Conf is a bit different but objective is still same ... you can access all your main LAN devices this way.... but this point is really mute when using dd-wrt the WAP is a better solution for an ovpn server for many reasons.....
.... if you don't won't to run ovpn server on the main router Smile
mercury187
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Does anyone know how to "send all traffic over vpn" ? Currently connected client can access devices on the vpn server network but the internet goes out the client wan and not the wan on the vpn side. How do you make all client traffic go through the vpn and then go online through the server wan?

http://prntscr.com/h7mk3a
Jules13
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 17:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
HI
My OPENVPN worked 2 days ago
But now it doesnt want to work.
It seems that the port is closed
But the port was already open in the firewall
Here is my firewall config
Code:
iptables -I INPUT 1 -p udp --dport 1194 -j ACCEPT
iptables -I FORWARD 1 --source 192.168.66.0/24 -j ACCEPT
iptables -I FORWARD -i br0 -o tun0 -j ACCEPT
iptables -I FORWARD -i tun0 -o br0 -j ACCEPT
WAN_IF="$(route -n | awk '/^0.0.0.0/{wif=$NF} END {print wif}')"
iptables -t nat -I POSTROUTING -s 192.168.66.0/24 -o $WAN_IF -j MASQUERADE
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s 192.168.66.0/24 -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE

Thanks
Jules
fatman45
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the guide Boogalooz! I'm trying to set up OpenVPN on my primary router, but this is still helpful. However I noticed a typo on page 4 of the guide, in this paragraph:

Quote:
Back in Notepad++, locate and open the “server.key” file from the same (keys) directory. Click anywhere in the window and right click, select all, then copy and paste the contents into the “Public Server Key” window, in DD-WRT as seen in the “Services-VPN.2”

Shouldn't it read "Private Server Key" window?
Boogalooz
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
fatman45 wrote:
Thanks for the guide Boogalooz! I'm trying to set up OpenVPN on my primary router, but this is still helpful. However I noticed a typo on page 4 of the guide, in this paragraph:

Quote:
Back in Notepad++, locate and open the “server.key” file from the same (keys) directory. Click anywhere in the window and right click, select all, then copy and paste the contents into the “Public Server Key” window, in DD-WRT as seen in the “Services-VPN.2”

Shouldn't it read "Private Server Key" window?

You are absolutely correct sir, and THANK YoU for pointing that out. I have revised the guide and replaced it in the OP.

Thanks again Fatman45 !!
L J
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 20:28    Post subject: Where is the .pdf? Reply with quote
The guide sounds like just what I need but I cannot seem to find it in this thread.
Did it get deleted during the edits or am I just missing it?
Thanks.
Xeon2k8
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 20:56    Post subject: Re: Where is the .pdf? Reply with quote
L J wrote:
The guide sounds like just what I need but I cannot seem to find it in this thread.
Did it get deleted during the edits or am I just missing it?
Thanks.

It's in the first post as an attachment

R6250 - BS 29193 running since 03/20/16 - (AP - NAS - FTP - SMB - DNSMasq - AdBlocking)
L J
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 22:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks Xenon2K8.
I was looking without logging in. Embarassed
Strangely, when I did log in to ask the question the attachment still did not appear.
nkaufman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 18:27    Post subject: OpenVPN for dd-wrt router Reply with quote
Hello,

Any ideas how to proceed to have OpenVPN on main router that has dd-wrt installed (no secondary routers etc)?

I have TP-Link TL-WR841ND v9 running DD-WRT v3.0-r33525 std (10/17/17).

I have some Access Controls set up via Mac Addresses.

Also, have set up all machines (except 3) to route via OpenDNS via Firewall settings that I got from these forums.

Thanks for your assistance.
mielemuis
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 21:12    Post subject: Error Reply with quote
So i followed your guide but when i want to connect it gives me an error,
this is in the log file
Options error: You must define CA file (--ca) or CA path (--capath)

also doesn't work when manually adding ca line in config.

Please help Sad
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 5
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: