Off-Grid in the middle of No where outside of the USA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods
modnar0
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 13:32    Post subject: Off-Grid in the middle of No where outside of the USA Reply with quote
Hello, I live in Costa Rica on the OSA Peninsula where there is no grid where I live and very shotty cell phone service. I have a 6mb up/down microwave connection internet. I share some of it with my neighbors. I want to get off cables due to jungle life and cable's don't last even bury-able due to the environment. So I have a 24dbi TP link antennas and also a 14dbi omi antenna. I am wondering on what router I should buy to be able to increase the range bc i know it can work but there are legal issues in some parts of the world but here I have no legal issues on and there is no one else. So just curious people's thoughts on routers in the modern age besides the wrt54 with g-band. Maybe direction is what I need to past posts. I did a few searches before I asked.
Sponsor
tedm
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
I do this professionally and you need to run cable. I know what you think about cable and it's just not true. There is very good quality cable on the market that is impervious to the elements. You can go underground or overhead. Overhead is vastly preferred due to ease of servicing but the cable will be subject to trees falling on it and rodents chewing on it, although there is armored fiber cable on the market for that. Underground inside of plastic conduit is impervious if done right.

If you get decent outdoor AP's and connect them to dishes facing each other you can actually get up to a mile or so with decent signal. Boosting signal power generally doesn't work to increase range and should only be tried as a last resort. People do it to compensate for inadequate antenna designs, mostly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: